Best warmonger for sparse resource?

zxcvbob

Emperor
How about a map with *no* strategic resources? You'll still have a limited amount of aluminum, but only very late game from recycling centers. Shaka obviously, although not having a few ikanda-promoted longswords will suck. Who else, China? Sweden? Germany? (recruited barbarian units don't need resources until you want to upgrade them)

I'll say China. Gatling guns with logistics are pretty OP. And when they get to machineguns, they are unstoppable (should have march by then too.) America should still be good even though you won't be able to build B17's. Japan might be interesting if you can hold-out long enough to spam Zeros.

Huns, Egypt, India, Inca, England, China, either of the other Elephant civs.

Shoshone are a great civ period on any map with sparse resources. The Great Expanse bonus allows you to take advantage of the sparse resources immediately.

the ability to pick Extra Population for your capital city from Ruins is 2x as important on a sparse resource map.

Persia should be good as well. Extra movement and combat strength means you kill things faster and won't miss horses as much as most other civs.

Nobody's mentioned the zulu yet. Impi don't require anything special, and are ridiculous. (EDIT: Oh, just reread OP, you did mention them)

Honestly, I think mentioning the civs who are hurt a lot by this would be shorter. Arabia and the mongols are hurt a lot. Denmark will miss their iron, and England is a fair bit worse in sea maps (though longbows are still good). Poland is hurt a little bit just because their UB stable is no longer special, but that just makes them slightly less OP. Russia would basically become a vanilla civ without a UA and UU, with a kind of bad UB.

I don't think anyone else would be all that effected. A lot of UUs that require strategic resources just... aren't good enough to matter much.

One important point is how it changes what you are up against...
Nothingcan beat Artillery in this scenario (until you get your 10 stealth bombers)
No air, no nukes, no fast units (except mobile SAM/Mech Inf at 3)
Naval domination is practically impossible until missile cruisers (no resourceless ranged naval)

If you are going early war, the civs to choose are the same, because almost all the important pre mideval UU are resourceless.

If you want a Conquest Win, it would be..
1. Early wars
2. Education then Artillery
3. Pump Artillery+ disposable 'city takers' until you win
(Unless on an island type map, the go edu-Sci-Plastics-Robotics)

However, you could go tech rush to artillery before any wars, then ones like Korea or Babylon might be good

Naval domination is practically impossible until missile cruisers (no resourceless ranged naval)

It won't be common, but on some map types you will be able to do serious damage with galleass spam. Normally not, but it's worth considering because its timing is faster than frigates and they can still down cities before castles pretty easily. Small islands/archipelago sparse should give them a look, even the occasional continents script maybe.

Xbow and arty should be more dominant than ever on average though, yes. These units are good warmonger units anyway and having fewer things that can threaten them just gives a larger window.

India is amusing but Huns are probably the best on pangaea.

Japan will also receive a slight buff, since they are the only ones that get to have an airforce.

That's an interesting point about naval domination. Might good for the Dutch, since Sea Beggars can start with Logistics and Supply. A swarm of them can take cities without frigates or battleships, and do so w/o taking any retaliatory hits from the city. Take turns hitting the city and then scooting away to heal; when the city gets weak enough the last SB hits it twice.

My #1 pick would be England:

1) +1 Range to what is already the best land base unit at the time. (Which stays around even when promoted to Gatling Guns)

2) Their UU is a combat bonus to a naval ranged unit, which are already (except on maps with little water) the best units in the game for combat.

3) Their UA gives a movement bonus in water, which in the hands of a human against the AI is deadly.

4) They have an extra spy, which can be used to pick a better target.

England's UU requires iron though, which won't be on this map. I think England is still a pretty good civ even without ships of the line (and longbows will dominate more than ever), but I don't think they gain much from a no resource start.

How about a map with *no* strategic resources? You'll still have a limited amount of aluminum, but only very late game from recycling centers. Shaka obviously, although not having a few ikanda-promoted longswords will suck. Who else, China? Sweden? Germany? (recruited barbarian units don't need resources until you want to upgrade them)

I'll say China. Gatling guns with logistics are pretty OP. And when they get to machineguns, they are unstoppable (should have march by then too.) America should still be good even though you won't be able to build B17's. Japan might be interesting if you can hold-out long enough to spam Zeros.

Yes China does surprisingly well. The Paper Maker works out at least 3gpt per city. The Great General bonus is also very powerful at an extra 15%.

England's UU requires iron though, which won't be on this map. I think England is still a pretty good civ even without ships of the line (and longbows will dominate more than ever), but I don't think they gain much from a no resource start.

Neither the base crossbow nor the longbow require iron (or any other resource)

JC - I think redwings was talking about SOTL specifically.

Top Bottom