Stellaris

You can expect a lot of expansions anyway. Its basically paradix business model.

IF they sell well. Lot of post-release support for March of the Eagles and Sengoku, was there?

and allows me to cheap use frontier outposts to expand my border without a permanent -1 to my influence.

FYI, that's confirmed as a bug and is going to be fixed at some point. You are supposed to still have to pay the upkeep for those.

I'd like to see systems rather than planets counted towards sector management, even if that meant dropping direct control to 4 or even 3 systems only.

I'd like to see systems rather than planets counted towards sector management, even if that meant dropping direct control to 4 or even 3 systems only.

Hmm I'm not sure about this one, it would make the early game even more RNG dependent. It's already too easy to get screwed because you play a peaceful race and end up surrounded by Militaristic Xenophobes, get no mineral deposits in your starting systems, etc. This would just add more of that. In my current game I'm playing a desert planet species and one of the systems near me got a size 20 and a size 22 desert planet. Changing the cap to be for systems instead gives this kind of start a huge advantage over one that doesn't get that.

Fair enough, but it seems utterly daft that I can settle a system, making it exclusively mine until a war changes that (if ever), yet attempting to settle multiple planets in the system somehow makes me less competent at managing other star systems.

I think the whole system of limiting how many things you can effectively govern is silly. Sectors should be optional for people who don't want to micromanage stuff, but those who do want to should be able to.

Limiting things is fine to me: it's in CK and EU and hardly anyone says that they should be able to control everything by themselves. Sector AI needs to be so much better though and you shouldn't be penalised so harshly for accepting the inevitable.

Sectors in general as an idea aren't necessarily bad.

But for a game that is pretty much almost entirely about how you manage and micro-manage stuff, the implementation of sectors is atrocious. Rather than connecting me and immersing me in my game experience, they do the opposite. I'm probably shelving this title until they fix them.

I agree with Arakhor that there should be some mechanism to deal with systems that have multiple planets. Maybe once you have 5 sectors the limit of 5 core planets should switch to systems instead as currently I'm avoiding colonising certain planets due to them being in core systems.

Playing as fanatically spiritual xenophile hydras.

Recently had the teapot event, though with a different outcome.

Spoiler Russell's teapot :

Yesterday I reached the max force limit for the first time. Looking around for targets I noticed that the Fallen Empire nearby was rated as having an equivalent navy but with much better tech. Given that I would be able to research any debris, invading them was very tempting... Several months later my fleet was finally in position on the border and war was declared.

I adopted my standard approach of jumping into their homeworld as this then tends to drag in their other fleets rather than having to chase them all over the map. This worked out reasonably well although one of my core systems did lose it's starbase. After winning several battles all the bulk of the FE's fleets had been destroyed whilst I had lost just over half of my fleet.* Everything seems to be going well and then my scientists start noticing a disturbance in the galaxy......

Of course just as my fleet is at its weakest point for years the Unbidden have to turn up. To rub it in they've appeared just to the north of the FE I've been attacking so if I had waited a few more years they probably would have weakened each other. I did briefly try attacking the Unbidden and destroyed a few ships but then more of their fleets appeared so for the time being I've retreated. Maybe we might have still been able to win but I didn't want to lose my entire fleet and then get attacked by the AI. It also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Unbidden beat up the neighbouring AI nation a bit as they are in an annoying federation that has attacked me twice so far. Also waiting will allow me to unlock some of the FE's technology which should give a nice boost to my ship strength as currently I'm still using level 3 lasers with better shields and armour. I didn't realise that I could research xray lasers as it was further down the research options list and now there is no point.

* upgrading a large fleet takes forever to the point that it feels like it would be quicker to build new ships from scratch anyway.

The Holy Republic of the Monopáti have in their travels come across a familiar face...

Spoiler space parrots :

The fanatical Ushag scientists of the Ard-Rheam have been founded; naturally the space parrots are not too pleased the space hydras that be the Edra are fanatically spiritual.

Spoiler galaxy that the HRM is in :

Anyway our Holy Republic continues to expand, claiming anywhere with water to suit our oceanic nature. Notice to the south-west that the Ard-Rheam, who in my first game I leaded to mastery over the galaxy, are currently being preyed and bought down upon by the Imperium of Muta, the genocidal slaver empire I gave up on after the game I was playing as them incurred the wroth of a fallen empire of fanatical alien lovers. The Mutans and their evil emperor have managed to claim the Ushagi home-world of Oayll, thus weakening the forces of SCIENCE. The Empire of the Janglo, a race of space turtles under a pacifist monarch, are also present. Anyway I and my alliance I am in are doing well at the moment, though how long before I end up in conflict with either a xenophobe or a materialist power will be still to be foretold.

IF they sell well. Lot of post-release support for March of the Eagles and Sengoku, was there?

FYI, that's confirmed as a bug and is going to be fixed at some point. You are supposed to still have to pay the upkeep for those.
Stellaris sold ans is selling well.

Haven't played much but I really like it so far, even though it's more simulation than 4x. I really love all the easter eggs. My science ship found a gold disc that gave me the coordinates to the Sol system.
Spoiler :

Earth is a nuked out tomb world, but it has giant intelligent cockroaches that I could uplift :lol:.

Holy hydras continue to preach in space!

Spoiler Old Gods :

We found a shrine to fell demons; we cleansed it in the name of what is divine!

Spoiler current map :

Anyway we continue to expand, having made a vassal out of one of our foes and continue to be a patriotic member of a federation.

:huh: Define "turn".

Just use month. Stuff is going on in-game between month ticks.

No it doesn't, it's just a bit confusing because of a lack of formal turns.

Not that I've had any problem with sectors whatsoever. I don't understand any of that criticism.

Did you actually look at what they do? They put buildings in all the wrong places, build over unique buildings, etc. And they are terrible at optimizing production of research, energy, and minerals on planets. You can't not have that problem.

Why is that a problem? It's just part of the game, it represents the challenge of running a large empire. It would be more of a problem if you could optimize everything perfectly as it would make the game too easy. The President of the United States doesn't optimize the placement of every gas station in the US.

Also sectors stop the game becoming a micromanagement nightmare.

Who fancies trying to individual upgrade 150 planets?

Top Bottom