[TSL] Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack

hmmm, maybe I've changed the defaut distance setting from "close" to "minimum" for CS between v0.3 and v0.4... With the "close" (=5 tiles) distance option, few CS will be placed in Europe, and with the "minimum" (=3 tiles) option only 2 or 3 won't be placed (Monaco or one/two Italian CS).

I'm thinking of changing the close value to 4 tiles, to allow a medium number of CS in Europe...

I can confirm that Gedemon. I actually though I remembered wrong but today i fired up a couple of games, on giant, with several civs close to CS´s and yes, your suspicion is right.
Furthermore I belive the starting location for Paris, Delhi, Thebes, Sukothai could be better. Thebes is now placed where roughly Abydos was. Should be placed 1 tile east and then 1 tile south east. Thebes is located south of the Nile. Delhi should be oe tile more north, atleast. Sukothai atleast one tile south, but i would rather place it along the coast (Bangkok has a seaport although its up-river a little distance) I know Sukothai is not Bangkok but was located some 2 hrs drive north of central Bangkok. My suggested move of Paris is debatable but its more for balance reasons I suggest it be moved one tile south.
If u need any help with tideous map changes I can do it for u. Did a lot of modding for CiV II but lost interest with III, started again with IV but TotalWar took all my time. Just let me know.

I can confirm that Gedemon. I actually though I remembered wrong but today i fired up a couple of games, on giant, with several civs close to CS´s and yes, your suspicion is right.
Furthermore I belive the starting location for Paris, Delhi, Thebes, Sukothai could be better. Thebes is now placed where roughly Abydos was. Should be placed 1 tile east and then 1 tile south east. Thebes is located south of the Nile. Delhi should be oe tile more north, atleast. Sukothai atleast one tile south, but i would rather place it along the coast (Bangkok has a seaport although its up-river a little distance) I know Sukothai is not Bangkok but was located some 2 hrs drive north of central Bangkok. My suggested move of Paris is debatable but its more for balance reasons I suggest it be moved one tile south.
If u need any help with tideous map changes I can do it for u. Did a lot of modding for CiV II but lost interest with III, started again with IV but TotalWar took all my time. Just let me know.

thank you for the sugestions :)

I'll move Delhi 2 tiles north and Sukothai 1 tile south east (from there you can move it and found first city at Bangkok position in the first turn...)

I had some reflexion about Thebes position, finally I thought I had moved it "only" one tile west from real position, to help at start with the oasis and 2 hills for prod. But placing it where you suggest seems good too, I'll do it (and plop another oasis).

Paris was another point of reflexion between the actual plot and the one south-west... "Paris sur Loire" feels wrong to me, so I finally choose the position north of the Seine. Can you develop about the balance issue ? more room for Germany and England ? more prod for Paris ?

I don't know, actual position feels natural, and moving the Loire south is difficult 'cause France is streched in the width to allow a bigger England, making any change on the north/south direction more noticeable... but balance and realism are indeed debatable, and I won't need a lot of arguments to change this starting position ;)

thank you for the sugestions :)

I'll move Delhi 2 tiles north and Sukothai 1 tile south east (from there you can move it and found first city at Bangkok position in the first turn...)

I had some reflexion about Thebes position, finally I thought I had moved it "only" one tile west from real position, to help at start with the oasis and 2 hills for prod. But placing it where you suggest seems good too, I'll do it (and plop another oasis).

Paris was another point of reflexion between the actual plot and the one south-west... "Paris sur Loire" feels wrong to me, so I finally choose the position north of the Seine. Can you develop about the balance issue ? more room for Germany and England ? more prod for Paris ?

I don't know, actual position feels natural, and moving the Loire south is difficult 'cause France is streched in the width to allow a bigger England, making any change on the north/south direction more noticeable... but balance and realism are indeed debatable, and I won't need a lot of arguments to change this starting position ;)

thx 4 the changes, looking forward playing it =)

Re: Paris. Its very close to London AND Brussels. I just felt it was cramped and wanted more landproduction for the city. What do u think?

Re: Egypt. Placing a couple of more oasises west of the nile is needed since they had a very strong presence in oasises like Bahanya, Dahkla, Kharga, Farafra, Hiwa etc. Another thing I miss in Egypt is that great "bend" the Nile does in Nubia if you know what I mean? I can mark these things on the map and send it to you if you like. I also feel that it would be great to make it impossible to found a city on a desert tile. This will stop the spamming of Askia and Egypt in the Saharas. Other areas on the globe will benefit from this also. Is it possible?

Have a nice day and thank you for your great job. I only play historical maps so this is greatly appreciated.

I have a problem, not sure if it's in all mods or just this, but I am unable to save the game. I only have options to quit or edit options.

thx 4 the changes, looking forward playing it =)

Re: Paris. Its very close to London AND Brussels. I just felt it was cramped and wanted more landproduction for the city. What do u think?

Re: Egypt. Placing a couple of more oasises west of the nile is needed since they had a very strong presence in oasises like Bahanya, Dahkla, Kharga, Farafra, Hiwa etc. Another thing I miss in Egypt is that great "bend" the Nile does in Nubia if you know what I mean? I can mark these things on the map and send it to you if you like. I also feel that it would be great to make it impossible to found a city on a desert tile. This will stop the spamming of Askia and Egypt in the Saharas. Other areas on the globe will benefit from this also. Is it possible?

Have a nice day and thank you for your great job. I only play historical maps so this is greatly appreciated.
I'll test the new position for Paris. ;)

And if you can, I'll appreciate the marked map, yes, it was one of the most difficult part of the convertion for the giant map : find accurate maps of world rivers...

I don't know if something can be done to restrict city on desert (and what about Thebes then ? for the game flood plains is desert terrain), but I may plan something to force settling and separation between cities in some areas, first I must have a look (and understand) smellymummy's code for his AI's ICS mod...

I have a problem, not sure if it's in all mods or just this, but I am unable to save the game. I only have options to quit or edit options.
save/load working fine here, and I use about 10 other mods, I don't know what's wrong for you...

Hey, my english is not so good.

But I want to ask if anyone else are having game crash with giant earth map before the game really start(?????)

Huge map started well, but giant map chashes. I hope find a solution. Thanks anyway. =]

Hi Mordredis!

try again, this happens to me some times too, but its not this Mod's fault, it may be caused by low system resources, I dont know, but it doesnt happen all the time.

When it happens to me when starting a new game, it crashes after loading the map, but before I can start playing. I launch the game again and load the initial autosave, and it works, so I dont have to start a new game again because it made an autosave before it crashed :)

hope you understood and your case is identical to mine ;)

Thank you Madeira. But I think it is a especific problem with the map (Giant Earth). It is like Civlization 4 and the giant earth map: there was a time that the game crashed before it started.

I think maybe is a bug in some file.

Maybe a problem with the sound, cause is just "the guy" start the speack about the nation, the game chashes...

remember that huge maps are already taking a lot of CPU / RAM resources, and the giant map is even bigger than the vanilla huge map (see screenshots in first post for relative size).

so maybe there's also a hardware limit, and I feared much more reports on crash at load when I first released the giant map...

I didn't have crash at start on my PC, but after ~100 turns on the giant map I always start to have some crashes when the camera is switching from one unit to the other... remember to save frequently or/and set autosave to each turn.

uhmmm.;... ok... I still think it is not a pc problem, cause I have BTS and play the last version of GEM, and its goes fine.

I will play the huge map you made. Is it bigger than the vanilla world map??

Thank a lot for the answers. I need CIV V needs a expansion quickly, cause neither the hotseat they put in the game... =[

Sorry about english.

for me the giant map still works well at 270 will continue and see how long that will last

I'll test the new position for Paris. ;)
And if you can, I'll appreciate the marked map, yes, it was one of the most difficult part of the convertion for the giant map : find accurate maps of world rivers...
I don't know if something can be done to restrict city on desert (and what about Thebes then ? for the game flood plains is desert terrain), but I may plan something to force settling and separation between cities in some areas, first I must have a look (and understand) smellymummy's code for his AI's ICS mod...

Yes, better playtest the new Paris location first. I can do the testing for you if you have no time.
If no founding restriction can be implemented maybee take away the resources from the desert? The AI seem pretty keen on settling near resources even if the town will have a hard time developing so this might work. I feel it would be more realistic if expansion of Egypt and Songhai should take place along coasts and rivers, fertile lands etc. Maybee even put in some more spawning places of barbarians in these desert regions will hamper this behaviour to?
The marked map you wanted is just freehanded on top of a cut out of the actual giant map but it contains most of the historical oasises (red) of Egypt and a new strech of the Nile (light blue) where both the west and east branches of the delta and that big Nubian curve of it is displayed better. Egypt CiV 5.jpg

Good luck and let me know if you need any help. Have a great weekend.

thanx, now that I've released the new version of R.E.D. I'll try a game starting in industrial with the max of CS and Paris at new location...

I've added the Nil curve and 3 of the oasis, moved the Loire south...

Here's the test version for those who wants to try it :

Attachments

• Yet not Another Earth Maps Pack (v 5).civ5mod
    124.2 KB · Views: 261
ho, and the game engine didn't allow the placement of delta, that's why there are none on the map... :/

Cool! Going to check that new version and continue working on my CSs.
And going to fetch that new RED version as well ;)

Found a way to help me find exact starting locations I wanted, by activating cheat mode, and possibly in combination with a mod I have installed, I get grid coordinates on mouseover.

So I completed my city states sub-mod, the files are attached if anyone wants to try them, unzip inside the XML folder of this mod's folder. Then select CS with TSL only in the mod options.

Hope it works, if not me and Gedemon will figure it out ;)

PS. This is for Giant map only, im not going to bother doing start locations for the smaller ones.

thanx, now that I've released the new version of R.E.D. I'll try a game starting in industrial with the max of CS and Paris at new location...
I've added the Nil curve and 3 of the oasis, moved the Loire south...
Here's the test version for those who wants to try it :

Playtested all changes (v5) today. Very good, thx. Found out that Karakorum (Mongols) starting city probably should be 1 if not 2 tiles due west and if u look at a map there is an important river to there that flows towards the Bajkal lake. I can draw it all on a map and post it here if you want?! Another thing is mountains, especially the snow capped ones. I dont know where you drew the line, 4000 mtrs? but it seems a bit strange that the Himalayas, and many other places, are not littered with snow capped mountains. From a production point of view not much production is going on above 2000 mtrs irl. In earlier CiV games I mapped snow above 4000 and used the subsidary (brown) mountain between 2-4000 mtrs and the hill up to 2000. Ofcourse some parts must be lower to allow passage throgh passes etc since all mount.tiles wont allow that. Let me know what you think and if you need help with this.

Small update:

Anshan was too close to Persepolis, moved south. Seoul is back to its original location in the coast.

Attachments

• XML.rar
    6.2 KB · Views: 190
Hey,

Great mod.

I tried to play with the Vikings mod and the Mongolian Mod, but the game crash. When I removed them the game worked fine. Maybe considering at least the Vikings as part of the mod.

Thanks

Playtested all changes (v5) today. Very good, thx. Found out that Karakorum (Mongols) starting city probably should be 1 if not 2 tiles due west and if u look at a map there is an important river to there that flows towards the Bajkal lake. I can draw it all on a map and post it here if you want?!
yep please ;)

Another thing is mountains, especially the snow capped ones. I dont know where you drew the line, 4000 mtrs? but it seems a bit strange that the Himalayas, and many other places, are not littered with snow capped mountains. From a production point of view not much production is going on above 2000 mtrs irl. In earlier CiV games I mapped snow above 4000 and used the subsidary (brown) mountain between 2-4000 mtrs and the hill up to 2000. Ofcourse some parts must be lower to allow passage throgh passes etc since all mount.tiles wont allow that. Let me know what you think and if you need help with this.
the snowcapped mountains are from the european tileset graphics, it does not fit very well in the middle of the asian tileset... I may try to set those tile to snow, but I'm not
sure that the terrain type change the mountain graphics.

Found a way to help me find exact starting locations I wanted, by activating cheat mode, and possibly in combination with a mod I have installed, I get grid coordinates on mouseover.

So I completed my city states sub-mod, the files are attached if anyone wants to try them, unzip inside the XML folder of this mod's folder. Then select CS with TSL only in the mod options.

Hope it works, if not me and Gedemon will figure it out ;)

PS. This is for Giant map only, im not going to bother doing start locations for the smaller ones.
I'll test it and try to code something new to set it... but first I want to finish this test game...

starting with France in industrial, a lot of CS in Europe, using Thal's Balance and the CS Diplomacy mod is giving me a pretty interesting game so far :

From the beginning I've isolated Rome making alliance with Venice and Genoa, isolated Germany with a pacte of cooperation and pacte of secrecy with Catherine (and alliance with Vienna and Geneva) and isolated Greece using Suleiman...

Germany has made alliance with Bruxell and Budapest, I had Copenhagen but Iroquois (!) stole it from me during a war when I could'nt send diplo units and then Germany stole it to Iroquois, damn !

Russia is allied with Helsinki, Bucharest and Warsaw... and right now it's the second general war in Europe and it's really a mess :D

Hey,

Great mod.

I tried to play with the Vikings mod and the Mongolian Mod, but the game crash. When I removed them the game worked fine. Maybe considering at least the Vikings as part of the mod.

Thanks
give me the link to the viking mod you use, I'll try it.

Top Bottom