Baldur's Gate II

kundor

Chairman of the H.I.V.E.
Is anyone else playing this game? I haven't seen any posts about it...
I just started fairly recently and it's GREAT!! It's really my first try at an RPG (Well, I played Diablo, but I didn't get very far) and I love it! I now think it's the greatest game ever made (well, except for civ...maybe...) Magic, monsters, micromanaging...who could ask for more? Plus it's not very linear, has tons of varied quests, and good replay value (Though with 300 hours of game not too many people would!) You can start a second game a a different race,class, gender, alignment (lawful evil instead of chaotic good for instance)and pick up different NPCs and it's almost completely different. Wow.

Right now I'm in Nalia's Keep, killing Trolls...Any tips on killing the Golems would be appreciated...

Bottom line is: Buy this game.

So whats the plot if the game or whatever???

------------------
The Spy has Spoken

I have played BG2, BG1, ToSC. Great games.

Golems, what type? clay Tips on beating them

Remember clay golems have to be killed with a +3 sword that slashes.(This is the best I have found)

Originally posted by HIEROPHANT:
what game system is this on sounds like a game that i would look for.

Interplay

This should answer all your questions.

Originally posted by spycatcher34:
So whats the plot if the game or whatever???

It's based on the town of Baldurs Gate, from the Forgotten Relms (AD&D I believe).

BG2 is the continuing part of BG1 and ToSC. I really don't want to tell the plot of BG2 because it's tied in to BG1 and ToSC.

[This message has been edited by Xiahou-Dun (edited July 28, 2001).]

HIEROPHANT: It's a PC and Mac game, I've been playing the PC version. The game is called Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and there's also an expansion pack out called Throne of Bhaal, which finishes the storyline.

Sorry, couldn't help but revive this topic.

I'll definitely throw my support to the entire Baldur's Gate series. There is BGI with the add-on portion Tales of the Sword Coast, and BGII with it's add on Throne of Bhaal. I'm in the midst of playing Throne of Bhaal now and it's great.

The great thing here is that the 1st level character you make in BGI can be with you through all of the games. In fact, the same character can be used in the upcoming Neverwinter Nights as well.

By the way, the golems in Nalia's keep: clay golems are defeated by blunt weapons nicely - be sure you have a hammer, flail or mace around. The iron golems were tougher, but the funny thing was that they couldn't fit through the door of the room that they were in. I had Keldorn in my party and we had already found
Spoil
the +5 Holy Avenger. Keldorn just stood a little bit outside the door and just poked them with the sword from a distance. Then the next one stepped up to the grinder. Didn't take 1 hp of damage anywhere. Hehehe.

Edit; I guess I could have read the posts ahead more clearly and realized that I'm repeating some info. Sorry.
------------------
Diplomacy - the art of
saying "Good Doggie"
until you can find a rock

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited August 14, 2001).]

I finished BG2 using a Wizard Slayer, specializing in Flail. The Flail of Ages you put together in Nalia's keep is awesome.

And when you fight some of the more powerful magic users, the Wizard Slayer is the way to go. Once you get one hit with the Flail of Ages in they cant recover.

------------------
I am disrespectful to Dirt! Can you not see that I am serious?

Mr. Sparkle: If you like the flail now, try the add on - Throne of Bhaal. In there, you get two new flail heads to add to it: a poison head and electric head. It is a deadly weapon after that. I have Minsc dual weilding the Flail of Ages and Crom Frayer (gives 25 strength). Lethal damage.

I love the Sorceror! In ToB, in the late game it became magic-orientated, and I was glad I had all the spells I needed, when I needed them.

BTW, when you work for the shadow thieves, if you kill aran linvail, I heard a super thief popped out of nowhere and killed your party. Black Isle didn't code this into the character, so they had it in a weapon.

If you have Debug mode on (check the power users file for more info) type:

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("KilSw01")

Note: it might be ("KillSw01")

The stats are like:

Damage: 1D10 +1000! +1000 Fire! +1000 Lightning! +1000 Ice!
AC: Goes down 10 points!
100% magic resistance!
Hasted!

That's all I can remember, but this will kill Irenicus in one Hit!

I bought BG2 when it came out and was very dissapointed. Again that dull Hack & Slay gaming. The D&D (2nd & 3rd Edition alike) raped and pillaged until they are no longer recognizable and an often boring gameplay.
I compare the game to the two best RPGs ever: Fallout 1 & 2 (2 is the better one).
BG2 does only have combat skills(weapon proficiencies) but no non-combat skills!
In Fallout you have: Bater, Speech, Outdoor, Repair, Science, Gamble, Heal etc. And a far more interesting gameplay.
Just to get out of the first dungeon in BG2 you have to kill more enemies than you would have to kill (theoretically) in Fallout2! Also the subquests in Fallout 2 are far more complex and interesting. Same for character customazation. In BG2 you just put the proficiency point you get from time to time on one of the weapons and thats all!! ok, as Sorceror you also select spells.. wow. In fallout you have the skills mentions above + perks which you get every 3 or 4 levels(depends on your character). those special skills are sometimes for combat(extra damage etc), sometimes for peacful playing(smoth talker) or simply for fun(Kama Sutra Master). Character creation is also better.
I could talk all day long...
If you can get your hands on Fallout 2, go get it! Fallout 1 is included (in the newer packages at least).

Originally posted by Mikoyan
Heathen!!!
BGII bets the friggin crap outta any other RPG!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did you every play fallout 1 or 2 ?

BG2...

The absolute worst thing that can be said about this game is...there's just too damn much there. Get a familiar. Get control of a thieves guild, or a keep, or a planar sphere, or a planar sphere and a keep. Journey to an underwater city populated by fish people. Journey to an underground city populated by evil, spider-worshiping elves. Interact with thousands of npc's in one city that can take days (real time) to explore(and bear in mind, this is without the Throne of Bhaal xpack installed.

The graphics are superb. The music is awesome(just as good as the BG1 soundtrack, and I still listen to that occasionally). Together, the two gel in a way that is breathtaking...I can recall entering the temple of Lathander in Athkatla and my mouth gaping in awe at that moving diorama...

The only downside is the combat. It can get a bit stale after a while, especially with/against the high level spellcasters: rush in, cast breach, spell thrust, etc. Hope your spellcaster/main tank isn't mazed/confused/ disintegrated. Pound on 'em till they croak. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Never actually finished the game. Still feel safe in saying that it's the greatest rpg ever made(at least until Morrowind). It really becomes something you live, not just play.

"Live by the Sword, live a good long time!"

"Live by the Sword, live a good long time!"

Can we quote? Then here's my favourites:

Minsc: 'Boo says: Whaaat?'
Edwina: 'I feel your stares! DIE! DIE!
Minsc: 'No effect? I need a bigger sword.'

And my fave, Aerie's terrifying battle cry:

I...I don't like the looks of this! :lol:

BTW, what do you think the best bit was? Mine was, without doubt, the Edwina quest. It was hilarious! :rotfl:

Personally, I belive Edwin and Edwina were only given such good mage stats so everyone would see his sarcastic humour. I can't think of a single thing s/he sys that isn't funny.

Caespenar: dum, dum-de-dum...........I'se looking through stuff that isn't mine!..............dum-dum-de-dum....

Caespenar: Ooo! Shower curtain? Oh, is only a cloak! Nasty pattern that.

Top Bottom