Game of the Year

I missed out on the great ones that year.

I'm not sure how good game Doom really was. It blew you away because it was the first decent fps, but that would've happened sooner or later.

Still, I'll vote Doom.

Yeah that's the issue with these old games, a lot of great ones not everyone played. I played doom a couple times at my friend's house and that's it. Pirates was an awesome, awesome game, but we started the voting after it, so I may have to go pirates gold for genesis just to give pirates a nod. Plus gold was better than the original in many ways (in game map instead of sun sighting and paper map).

I think sim city 2k is overrated. I just didn't like it that much, it was graphically confusing to me. I much preferred the simple elegance of the first one. Until 4 came out it was m favorite.

I updated the 1993 nominations.

Tough, tough choices. I'm very partial to link's awakening myself, being my first gameboy game. I loved the story and the block mechanic with your shield was awesome. So much better than auto block in the other zeldas. And the world was big, I think larger than link to the past.

But x-wing was one of my favorites too. It spawned a whole book series it was so good. However Tie Fighter was a vastly superior game thus I will hold my vote.

Mega man x is my favorite mega man title. But in the end I'm going with pirates gold. Pirates was just such a unique and addictive game and priates gold was a much more advanced and polished version than the original. Really great sid classic.

Vote=Pirate's Gold

Vote=Myst ... barely edging out Master of Orion. Myst was so atmospheric, it captures the perfect exploration/isolation setting I enjoy. None of the subsequent games recaptured that as well somehow. I still like this sort of setting to this day, like in Miasmata.

Doom - one of the most kinaesthetically pleasing games of all time.

OF ALL TIME

As always, the eloquent Campster says it all:

Link to video.

What's really cool about Myst (even though I haven't played it) was how it was made. To create amazing 3d looking environments they used a 3d engine on some super computer and made screenshots then the game simply loading those images. Which is why you can't pan around and change views in the original but it's how they managed to make a game many years before it's time hardware wise. I read an article about it in some pc mag.

Some of us were deprived little kids with only a few video games (first world problems) for the years voted on so far. I don't have a vote for '93 because I haven't played most the games nominated for that year, and don't feel like the ones I did play deserve a vote. There may be more votes for more recent years.

I wasn't even born in 93. So I somehow doubt I am qualified to vote on this year.

'93 just isn't that interesting a year to me. Sure, there were some great games released then but none of them would make my best-games list.

I suppose for completion's sake I'll put in my vote.

Vote = Myst. Best selling PC game through the 90s, last great champion of point-and-click adventure games before they started to become a niche genre, one of the last successful games that was unapologetic about sometimes stumping the player for hours on end while still not assuming players would just look things up in a guide. The end of an era in gaming.

Hm, i would not say that Myst (in 1993) was the last great champion of point and click adventure games. If anything, the first Gabriel Knight was released in 1994, and it was a more obvious pinnacle. And the first Broken Sword game happened even later (1996), again a massive hit.
I never played Myst at all...

Checked with wiki: GK1 was released in December 17 of 1993. I guess i should have nominated it then :D

PS: Another very notable point and click adventure, Sanitarium, came to be in 1998 ;)

Nobody said Myst was the pinnacle of point and click. (apparently someone did and I'm dyslexic). Personally, I just said it's my favorite Myst game.

Also, I totally forgot about
Nomination=NHL 94 (released in 93)

Seriously, NHL 94 is still, to this day, the hockey game I play the most. Sometimes I'll play it while listening to a new music album I got.

I don't even know if nominations are closed for 93.

No contest for '93. Myst was hugely influential on my artistic tastes. And this is coming from a guy who refuses to call games art in the traditional sense.

Kyriakos said:
It is not as if anyone is going to fight on the subject of Myst being a pinnacle or not :D

You wanna bet? :p There's a dormant side of me that remains a rabid fan of Myst and Riven.

Am I the only one who found Myst rather dull? Most Sierra games were better quality and much more entertaining back then. All of those types of games haven't aged will IMO unlike Doom which I still play on and off online with some friends. Nothing really capture the ridiculous speed and skillgap in Doom.

It's Doom vs Myst then. I remember playing Doom with a friend. One manning strafe, the other forward/backward and turning. Was it wasd and mouse by default back then?

It's Doom vs Myst then. I remember playing Doom with a friend. One manning strafe, the other forward/backward and turning. Was it wasd and mouse by default back then?

I'm not sure if the original DOS version had mouse support until Doom II came out. Doom 1 had a major engine patch when Doom II came out than again with Ultimate Doom. By default you didn't need the mouse though because there was no freelook before source ports added it. You used the arrow keys to go back and forth and turn while holding Alt made the turn keys strafe instead (I believe the <> also acted as strafing keys without Alt). There were some crazy tricks like circle-strafing that gave a good player an insane edge.

I'm not sure if the original DOS version had mouse support until Doom II came out. Doom 1 had a major engine patch when Doom II came out than again with Ultimate Doom. By default you didn't need the mouse though because there was no freelook before source ports added it. You used the arrow keys to go back and forth and turn while holding Alt made the turn keys strafe instead (I believe the <> also acted as strafing keys without Alt). There were some crazy tricks like circle-strafing that gave a good player an insane edge.
It's true, the <> were strafe and you had some other keys to look up or down. I just wasn't sure it wasn't us being noobs.. Not exactly GOTY standards when it comes to interface and controls.

Top Bottom