Fallout 4

Dammit, encountered unique raiders for once, in the way that they're ghouls and Norwegian (I think they were)!
...and of course I must kill them all. Typical. Here's a bunch of NPC's I'd be actually interested in conversing with and nope.

Ahh yes those guys. Norwegian from what I understand, not that I would understand their language. You'd have a better shot at it.

I now have 89 fusion cores LOL. That's what happens when I never use power armor. The occasional reload is worth not having the hassle of micromanaging that stuff. I may use the stuff if I ever play the highest difficulty, or maybe a melee build.

Has anyone tried melee or unarmed builds? My brother was going to do melee build, but I think he abandoned that idea quickly. The game doesn't seem to want you to use that build. Take a peek inside the Mass Fusion building and you'll see why. I've been in there twice, once on my own, and once for a quest. Neither time would be easy for a melee build.

I have 50+ plus and I do use power armor. I take turns. As I always return to base after a prolong quest or two or a few locations, to scrap crap and mod crap, every second time I take my adorable pink enclave (the only hot roader magazine I found) power armor for a spin. In that case no additional armor, just clothing. I also treat it like a vehicle and park it outside buildings mostly. Very very rarely make exceptions and take it inside. Keeps it interesting. Outside I'm in a tank pushing through pathetic waste of mutants, raiders and occasional deathclaw etc. like it's nothing. Inside I'm in a "careful sneaky from the shadows making the first shot count, dead if not careful" kinda situation. Makes for a nice contrast. Plus it's painful on the eyes trying to loot inside locations in power armor with that barely functioning headlamp or trying to fit / walk over occasional rubble.

Then every other time I go without, this time wearing some armor. Tactics (not that this game demands for mad tactics :D) adjust accordingly. I also take different weapons with me depending on power armor or not. Though I'm still far from maximizing armor pieces as I didn't want to raise strenght to 3 just to take armorer perks. I got metal, leather and combat pieces on me, looks messy and I like it. Real reason though is I found 3 different armor pieces from random legendary drop outs providing +1 charisma and intelligence a piece :crazyeye: So I get +3 int and charisma just for wearing those armor pieces.

See instead of sticking to one style I squeeze out everything of the character I have, because as we all agreed before, the game doesn't really call for replayability :D

But anyway, yeah I don't see how cores were supposed to be rare and stuff, they're everywhere. The only way I see possible to run out is if I never ever exited the armor and constantly sprinted and jumped while moving for no particular reason.

Another supposed to be rarity is adhersive. But I think they dramatically changed this with the latest patch after so many people whined about it being so hard to find. Now it's everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. It's propbably the most common ingredient now after steel.

I find fusion cores not that abundant. They get empty quickly too. I suffer of an acute paranoia about eventually not having fusion cores any more and i am very greedy about them. As a result i almost dont use power armor, only in very special ocasions. The funny part is i have got as 10 fusion cores hidden in some box somewhere but i dont remember where exactly. Maybe stored them in some sideboard and then scraped it to get some wood... :cry:

One thing I've noticed about this game is that it's the first Bethesda game in... ever, that I haven't felt the urge to restart with new characters over and over again. I actually tried to roll a new character this weekend because I wanted someone with reasonable Charisma and I found the beginning of the game so incredibly dull compared to where my main character is at that I quit after a couple of hours. Replays of this game look like a no go until the mod kit comes out and people drastically overhaul the gameplay. I'm already wishing there was a FWE style mod, I have 1 Luck and am playing on Survival difficulty since the beginning and I'm still swimming in caps, stimpacks, and ammunition, absolutely no resource scarcity at all.

Also it's nice to see that stealth is just as broken as in every other Bethesda game. Once you get a few perks into it and a few pieces of shadowed armor the enemy AI goes bat****, they have no idea what is even going on and just run around like loons while I pick them off one by one.

Totally agree. I too tried to start a new play through a week ago with a male character, different build etc just to try if I rushed with my opinion earlier about the game being unreplayable. I didn't. Barely made it out of the vault not giving up. Then after thinking of all the stuff that awaits me, quickly realized "nope... just nope".

I too always had the urge to restart to the degree of ending up spending up to a whole week or two since release, being unhappy with my character and constantly restarting. Then again 1/3 or 1/2 into the game I'd start urging for a new char... :rolleyes: I never finished Skyrim... not even half way, all while having about 400h registered on steam :crazyeye:

So in the end I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad :)

Also it's nice to see that stealth is just as broken as in every other Bethesda game. Once you get a few perks into it and a few pieces of shadowed armor the enemy AI goes bat****, they have no idea what is even going on and just run around like loons while I pick them off one by one.

That's why I never went for sneak perks, prefer it to be challenging and I would say realistic, but the word realistic applied to Bethesda sneaking is crazy.

BTW this is probably the most inconsistent world by Bethesda so far. It's one thing if they don't try to uphold or ignore original fallout lore, but if they can't believably deliver their own stuff, or infuse the universe with nonsense, braking the suspension of disbelief, well it just gets frustrating.

My first encounter with a human like synth. A guy at a diner pointing a gun at his own clone shouting "he's a synth". The other one shouting back "no I'm not, he's a synth, plis halp". As engaging and original as this encounter was, I couldn't care less despite trying. So I say I don't care and the first proceeds to shoot the clone and walks away (about 10 meters before a random raider turret shots him up too, because this game is so dense you can't make a step in any direction without encountering raider or mutant outpost OMG SO AWESOME no empty space LITRALLY DYING YOLO :rolleyes:). But anywaaay... I loot the body and find "synth parts", because apparently Beth could not come up with a better way to tell me this was a synth or at least come up with something less ridiculously generic :lol:

Second time I hear about human like synth is in Diamond city, where they tell me a story about how some years ago some guy randomly started shooting people and how after taking him down they noticed "it was all wires, a machine..." or something dramatic like that.

Then I find a typical "not at all weird something's obviously going on" settlement, which name alone upon me discovering it kinda whispered to me "oh, that's probably one of those token ones that you slaughter whole, can't go without those". A merc inside saying there's something fishy about this town (3 houses inside a wall does not a town make, but that's just my opinion) and asking to investigate certainly did not help to reduce my "suspicion".
Spoiler :
Anyway... it turns out they're devising a psychological test to discover synths by murdering and torturing synths and people as collateral damage becaaaause... they can't make a physiological test (blood sample, scan, whatever) as the synths are physiologically indistinguishable from humans... REAAALLY? That's not exactly what I've been hearing and seeing before...

Mkay.

Then we have this "boy in the fridge" nonsense.
Spoiler :
A boy hid in the fridge when the bombs fell and apparently been locked in there for 200 years... >_<
Do I really need to say more about that? How ridiculous the notion is and how it utterly destroys any suspension of disbelief for the universe

Haven't found any boy in the fridge.

And I may try to replay as a melee character at one time, but as mentioned above, doubtful I'll get very far. There just aren't as many options in this game like in Skyrim where my first character I finished the game with was a fighter/rogue (1 handed weapons) type build. Then I had a pure fighter 2 handed character. Then a pure mage type character. Then a pure archer rogue type character. I never finished those other games, but I had fun with the other characters while I was playing. I think this game encourages you to use all weapons, and use melee at short range (hence the weapon bashing). The game does everything possible to make you good at everything.

I don't even think pure unarmed or melee is as viable in this game as in New Vegas. Although I suppose with power armor I can do it. You guys were mentioning how effective sneaking is above, but it isn't that effective for me. I get shot at all the time. I don't even want to play these games without sneaking. I get tired of fighting 100 battles just to accomplish 1 quest. I sneak everywhere outside and most times inside (until the enemies are cleared out).

Although it is possible my companions are blowing my sneaking cover. I will have to experiment and have them wait.

LOL, you can't kill children in this game, but you can... (near end game spoilers, so beware, my earlier spoilers were minor)

Spoiler :
destroy an entire "ship"containing some squire children you can't kill. I suppose burning them alive is more human than shooting them with a bullet. ;) It was so worth it to kill those BOS bastards. I didn't like being forced to work with them in Fallout 3. Yes I did work with them in Fallout 1 and 2, but I was never loyal to them. I roleplayed it to the effect that saving my vault and my village was of primary importance, and I did what I needed to in order to save my people. They were a means to an end. I would have killed them if it meant saving my vault or my village. In case anyone is wondering, I'm working for the RR faction

So while I'm mentioning end game spoilers. Who really are the bad guys in this game? It seems like there are no bad guys. I know NV made their bad guys a little more morally grey, but lets be honest, they were brutal slavers, they were obviously the bad guys.

Spoiler :
It really seems the Institute isn't all that bad despite them utilizing the services of one bad merc. I haven't done their end game quest, but I can't go any further with them or I lock myself out of other factions. Based on what I seen, they don't seem that evil.

edit: Now I have a bug where Curie won't leave me. Now I have 2 companions it seems. And in another example of this game giving you everything so you don't have to make difficult choices, you can romance everyone. Which I have done with the females, including Curie (don't ask me how that works). Maybe Curie is the clingy type. re-edit: "transporting" seems to have fixed this bug.

re-edit: "Finished" the game. I use finish loosely since you can keep playing. I only have 4 achievements left, and I may try to get them. Benevolent Leader being the hardest one and requiring the most patience. Not much of an ending. Goes with the saying it's not the destination, but the journey. Piper was my babe for the final quest.

And I can't help but wonder where Desdamona gets all those cigarettes...

I found some hardware store near Diamond City where a Settler asks for your help and gets inside...obviously, this is the wasteland, so I never trust anyone...Turns out a bunch of raiders ambushed me, but I managed to wipe them all with my trusty fire shotgun...The disturbing part came when I found lots of bodies in the basement...Turns out the raiders were luring several wanderers inside and robbing their stuff...

I use the power armor sparingly, mainly for though fights, because of the scarcity of fusion cores, but it's also fun to go around and explore the wasteland without worrying about running out of juice.

I don't think it's a bad thing that there's no clear bad guys. Typical western type of bad vs good guys gone boring ages ago.

It doesn't bother me at all if there couldn't be a viable pure melee/unarmed type in a post gunpowder universe. Skyrim is one thing, but you know... Plus it's awkward as **** to the point I started wondering how did I ever manage to enjoy melee in Skyrim.

But unfortunately I think you're wrong on that and should watch the video below and rethink your position on it not being viable ;) It's the kind of video after which I felt the urge to throw the game disk out the window.

Link to video.

I have seen some nuts stuff with melee in Fallout 4 but it really takes a dedicated build. You can stack up some seriously crazy damage modifiers though if you do it right.

If you ever travel with Strong, make sure to snipe the suiciders from WAAAAAAY off or Strong will simply charge them :shake:

Hell's Bells, I just got the companion perk from MacCready. How the hell did such an obvious and abusive bug make it through QA testing? His perk turns even mediocre shooters into precision marksmen in VATS. I went from having an average of 35% chance to hit people's heads to having 95%, every time.

I'm guessing I benefited from that perk too. I didn't realize that was what was doing it. I was thinking it was because of rifleman perks or something. I figured I was a higher level, I should get 95%. :)

Wow at that video. LOL at Blitz being so OP. I think I'll pass on playing the entire game with VATS. That seems kind of lame. Yeah he was on Survival difficulty, but still. But I admit one shotting an alpha deathclaw is impressive.

I'm playing Mass Effect 1 now LOL. It's a good game to play when my internet was down, and my internet was down 2 days. I'd rather not play fallout 4 unless I can get those last 4 achievements. My internet is back now, but I think I'd rather play Mass Effect 1. A game that isn't afraid of skills (although 2 and 3 went away from having skills, it's like designers are afraid young gamers can't understand skills). In a way, I consider Mass Effect the better game, even if you have like 0 exploration compared to Fallout 4.

edit: Okay that video did convince me to play Fallout 4 some more and not be "done"with the game. My Mass Effect game will have to wait. I really want to try a melee build. But unlike the video, I'm going to use my own attacks most of the time, and minimize VATS for the most difficult encounters. I did bump my difficulty to survival. Interestingly survival difficulty doesn't seem very difficult. I seem to do as much damage as before, it's only healing that's more difficult. I will do melee on survival without power armor using a sneak type build. I will use drugs if I have to though. My other game I almost never used drugs.

Now I have to find the urge to continue on with my melee game. Not sure I'm interested in doing all the same content again. Although there was some stuff I skipped. I never did get over to the USS Constitution, I was hoping to get over there.

Game seems easy, but that's because I'm only fighting radroaches and mole rats. Fighting ranged enemies will be another story entirely. And then the deathclaw fight...

edit: Up to level 5. Getting significantly harder on Survival difficulty. Problem with that kind of build is it takes a lot of perks to make it work. It will be a long time before I am good. I got my point in Blitz though, I just need some points in sneak. I admit I did slip up and use a gun. It was just too difficult to resist shooting some super mutants from a distance. They were being attacked by Diamond City security, and I joined in. This game isn't easy like New Vegas, and it's hard to want to put in the work to sneak up on people when you can just take them out from the distance.

re-edit: Okay, I'm done with this game for now. I just have no desire to play. Not enough time in this part of the year anyways. Maybe next year. If the game had better dialogue and role play in quest decisions I would be more interested in replaying this game (as I was in Dragon Age: Origins). As it is now, I'm having trouble getting interested in fighting through the same areas again.

111 hours played.

Any guesses on how much Fallout 4 will go on sale for the steam winter sale?

I'm assuming it'll max out at maybe 20-25%, and it'll probably go 10% a couple times? Just some gut feeling guesses, I don't track the sales as closely as some of you guys do.

Top Bottom