Fallout 4

I haven't gotten far enough into the city to encounter that many raider locations. I'm just happy I made it to Diamond City without getting into battle. :) I think people complained about New Vegas not having enough enemies and too many open spaces. But yeah, they went overboard this time. The corvega factory is just crawling with raiders. I wonder how they raid enough people to maintain such a high population. The problem with so many locations (I hear there are over 300), is I have no interest in most of them. I don't have the patience to explore each and every one of them.

I'm in the process of clearing out the Corvega factory right now. Not sure what level you are supposed to hit that. I hit it at 9 and just turned level 10. Even with 2 ranks of sneak many of those guys can see through my sneaking. I imagine it must be hard for melee types. I can't even see doing pistols in this game. Even my shotgun didn't have the range to take on many of the raiders in this place (even inside). Rifleman perk was the easy choice for me. I'm leaning on the hunting type rifles for long range and shotgun for short range.

I've been avoiding power armor, and haven't used it since I took out that ********* in Concord. The power armor thing doesn't bother me, I just won't wear it. You could get power armor in Fallout 2 in the beginning you wanted. I avoided that too. It makes the game too easy. But I do get shot up pretty good if I'm out in the open. Had to reload several battles. Maybe when I hit supermutants I might wear it.

Piper is a hottie, I tried getting her to follow me into the showers in Diamond City, but she was playing hard to get. :) Later on I did get a flirt option with her. I'm guessing there are romances in this game. Not sure if I have the charisma for it, I'm at 2 right now without my suit and stuff on.

What are you guys doing about all the loot these raiders and things drop? Piper needs to do some pushups or something so she can carry more of my stuff. The temptation to pick up every piece of armor they drop is so great. I'm so overloaded. Fallout 4: Inventory Management. :) edit: I ended up hauling 947 pounds worth of stuff out of that assembly plant. You'd think they would put a cap on how much weight you could haul. Took a while to clear, raiders seemed to respawn up on the towers. I know I cleared every single one out. Way too fast of respawn rate. I won't do that again, I figured I'd do it once, took forever to walk back to Sanctuary. In the future I need to learn what to take and what to leave.

One more question, Piper keeps complaining about her arm. Do companions get injuries? If so, how do I cure them?

No idea about romance or injuries, I rather stick a pen in my eye than use a companion. Especially after my elevator incident.

Respawning is sometimes so bad turrets and spotlights respawn on re-entering same building within seconds.

As always in fallout, my character is weak in hand to hand (strength and endurance 1, light armor or no armor, no automatic weapons) and deadly from distance and from shadows using bolt action rifles for long range one-shot-killing, semi-automatic rifles for occasional unavoidable mid-range confrontations and silenced pistols for close range disposal. I like to take my time and make my shots count. Where another player clears an area in 5 minutes, I may easily spend there 15-20 or even more, enjoying every minute. And ideally I clear a location without a scratch when everything goes as planned. As of now with all the ridiculousness with map density I mentioned before, I'm completely tired and frustrated and just go there in the middle of the square/room/whatever guns blazing FPS style and popping stimpacks, because that's obviously the preferred playstyle for this game...

Respawning is sometimes so bad turrets and spotlights respawn on re-entering same building within seconds.
Respawning? Was there any respawning in F3 or NV? Maybe I just never returned to areas that I'd cleared out?

Fallout 3 had respawning raiders in outdoor areas. I can't remember if actual locations and interiors respawned. I didn't play it enough.

NV also had respawns in outdoor in between areas. I can't remember if actual locations respawned, I don't think they did. edit: Oh I do remember the area outside of Vault 3 respawned those junkie guys (I can't remember their names now). Some minor thugs respawned in Freeside as well. And now I think of it, I think non named NCR troops respawned at their bases, mostly relevant if you sided with Caesar and were clearing these bases out.

I got chased by a upgraded glowing one ghoul. He was listed in red with a skull. I'm guessing he's too tough for my level. I didn't do much damage to him. What's worse, that ghoul didn't give up chase, I'm currently behind a raider turret, and it looks like the raiders are attacking that tough glowing one. Better them than me. I'm not sure what level I have to be for those.

What level should I be for super mutants? I've been avoiding those. It seems my sniper rifle doesn't do much damage to them when I was trying to snipe them from the roof of the chem lab at the fish packing plant. EDIT: well I just got attacked by a super mutant from all the noise of the raiders, he was a regular super mutant and went down pretty easy with a head shot. My level 2 weapon mods really increased my damage. Weapon mods make everything so much easier.

I'm level 15 now. Leveling is fairly slow in this game. I'm figuring I'll get my guy up to level 50, then finish out the main quests and the game. I'm not going to do everything in the game like I do for other games.

Is there any easy way to upgrade armor and weapons? Those need a bunch of specialized parts. What I've been doing at Sanctuary is taking my entire inventory out of the workbench and moving to the weapons mod bench or armor mod bench to do my mods that way. Then returning everything to the workbench. It's more tedious inventory management though, but not too bad. Thank god for the store all junk (T) button.

It seems awfully easy to max out disposition with companions. Already got romance option with Piper. Working on Cait now, who's a bit more difficult with my style of play. She didn't like me working with Brotherhood of Steel.

I wish there was a way to remap the console button. I've accidentally hit this instead of 1 several times already resulting in my death.

First impressions (I use first loosely since I have well over 20 hours into the game) is it's much better than Fallout 3. And it does some things better than New Vegas as well. I do like they kept the faction idea of New Vegas. It's nice not being forced to work for Brotherhood of Steel this time. Bad marks are cumbersome and time consuming inventory system. Other marks against the game are the lack of dialogue. I know they bragged about how many lines of spoken dialogue are in this game. But that's mainly because of the sheer number of NPC's, and the main character speaking. I often go long lengths of time without hearing any voices except for my companion. I can't see playing the game without companions. It gets really lonely with no one to talk to. No long conversations with NPC's, just a few sentences. It's all about exploring and shooting. I do like the background stories of your companions, just enjoy them, because that's as much as you get for character development.

You really don't need to move stuff out of your workshop to do stuff within that settlement. If you have the Local Leader perk, you can even set up supply lines and have one workshop service the entire Commonwealth.

I got over 30 hours now, close to 40. Yes, it is better than FO3 and NV. Mainly because it's inevitable. Those games are pretty old and with Bethesda style of progress they can only get better. Not much by a long shot, but slightly better. What I mean is they take a very safe approach with their 2 giants, TES and FO. They improve them a bit everytime, very minor and all in all not that memorable changes. They never do anything truly crazy or revolutionary (but very much like to market those little tiny changes as "revolutionary" pre-release). There's no need from business point of view.

1. Why fix something that isn't broken?
2. Why take a risk with doing something "different"?

These 2 questions define Bethesda games. These games bring money, they work as a consumer product as intended and that is the end goal. It's their lives at stake, their job. The biggest "wow" factor in their games always comes from change of scenery and that is what they deliver. Honestly if a new TES game came out in a month that would be basically Skyrim with little to no changes, but in different location, say "TES VI: Elsweys" or "High Rock" or whatever... Would I spend 60€ on it? Yes. I. Would... shameful (or not?) as it is. And that, my fellow gamers is why these games are what they are.

There definitely always have been respawning. Just not in locations you just cleared a minute ago. To clarify I think it's a bug / unintended thingy. Raiders themselves don't respawn in the house you just cleared, just turrets and spotlights and whatnot as is certain loot. I noticed that in a few locations. For example by fast traveling from the closest ghoul infested walmart to red rocket (my choice of base) and back, Mr. handy fuel stand restocks giving you easy oil reserves, not that you'd need much of it.

Same spawning as Maniacal mentioned happens here too. Just yesterday I helped to resolve an argument between scavengers and raiders (they all die) and walking around the block and back there was yet another argument between gunners and "childs of atom" (what the hell?) with no raider bodies I just left there this morning. Those encounters supposed to bring life to wasteland but I dislike them, they're often awkward, buggy and immersion braking, sometimes though they're funny. Like once on a peaceful foggy morning just outside Diamond city I saw a stocked brahmin emerging from the fog sprinting like crazy through the street alone. Run after it and sure as hell run into raiders, duh.

About dealing with ghouls, glowing or not... legs, shoot the legs, only legs, always legs. VATS or jet is your friend here, don't let them reach you. The will never even touch you if you do it right. As for mutants? I don't know, got my arse handed to me first time I tried to deal with them. Some "sneaky" tactics are involved.

1. Placing land mines in a desired path.
2. Making first shot count.
3. Running, luring them onto the land mines.
4. Finishing off stragglers with a few lucky shots in VATS.

Level 20 and still avoiding them. My character has nothing on them if she can't one-shot-sneak-kill them with the heaviest sniper rifle in inventory. Now if you're in a power armor, it's another story. Like killing unarmed settlers that are throwing rocks at you. I really like the different tactics involved with this. The usefulness of power armor for my character depends on situation. Now I only confront mutants in power armor, but ghouls surprisingly better dealt with WITHOUT the armor as my character can actually utilize the 10 agility and pop them fast runners before they even reach me. In one "all too quiet" location ghouls suddenly started popping out all around and while in power armor they quickly overrun me. Reload, screw the armor, just a jumpsuit and a trusty .44, it was like a bad (or good?) hollywood western, undead running from all sides and a chick popping them off with a pistol leaving a circle of bodies around her. :lol: Must have been over 20 ghouls running in waves of 3-4 with an interval of 5-10 seconds.

See I'm playing on a console which forces me to utilize the RPG elements of combat, that is VATS and SPECIAL stats. There's no way I'd be able to dispose of ferals on a controller without these. Tbh I like this very real limitation :D, makes it more of an rpg than fps.

Yeah I'm still avoiding power armor. I haven't used it in battle since Concord. Although I did pick up another set of T-51 somewhere and left it in the movie theater/settlement. Although it appears to be missing legs, but I looked it up, and it appears you can repair armor with the armor stations, I did not know that. But yeah, it is slow, and it's hard to get used to movement with it. But I still feel like I'd be playing Fallout 2 and going to San Fransisco immediately to get power armor if I use power armor in this game. It feels like an exploit.

But I was starting to get into areas I was too low a level for. I couldn't pick a master lock because of my level (for finding the Brotherhood of Steel recon team). Cait supposedly will if you give her a bobby pin, but she didn't do it for me. Oh well. I went back and actually started some work on the main quest.

Although I did just hit level 18, and put 2 perks into rifleman and lockpicking. So I may go back soon.

I still feel like New Vegas is the better game. I really miss getting lots of background info rather than just 2 or 3 lines of text. But New Vegas I have played so much, and this is new. The things Fallout 4 does better than New Vegas is combat and exploration. The settlements are kind of interesting, but I haven't done much except for the basics. Sanctuary is running pretty good, my other ones I've mostly been neglecting (one got attacked by raiders yesterday). As for the character perk system, I'm neutral on that. It's kind of interesting, and I like the little animations and that you can see all the perks to plan what you want in the future. But I was just fine with the New Vegas skill system as well. I didn't feel it was broke. And I miss character traits (even if I did used gifted far too often). I like Bethesda's vision for Fallout, but I also like Obsidian's vision for Fallout. Ideally I'd like them to both develop Fallout titles.

1. Why fix something that isn't broken?
2. Why take a risk with doing something "different"?

Except that a lot of stuff is broken, or if not broken than half-baked or otherwise half-something or other. Many of the flaws, failings, missed opportunities, or things that could be done better or other complaints are also not really asking Bethesda to do something new or unique (they already do their unique type of open world game), simply to match the quality of other already existing games, from the late 1990s.

I'm about 20 hours in, and I really like this game...The customization of weapons and armor bring an interesting change from the previous titles. I think Fallout 4 is harder; The enemies are though, particularly the super mutants and sentry bots...I'm level 14 and I'm having a hard time completing some of the Brotherhood of Steel quests due to the ridiculous amount of raiders, super mutants, gunners armed with fat mans and specially the scarcity of ammo....
I haven't continued the main quest line, I want to do as many side quests as possible.

EDIT: I haven't noticed a lot of bugs, other than Dogmeat clipping through walls or the elevator doors...

I've played 35 hours apparently and I've still not been to Diamond City. #shillyshally #noncompletionist

Except that a lot of stuff is broken, or if not broken than half-baked or otherwise half-something or other. Many of the flaws, failings, missed opportunities, or things that could be done better or other complaints are also not really asking Bethesda to do something new or unique (they already do their unique type of open world game), simply to match the quality of other already existing games, from the late 1990s.

You DO realize that by saying "why fix something that isn't broken" I mean from THEIR business point of view, right? You don't need to tell me how much of stuff is broken from our perspective. So I think you're missing the point. It being there's no reason to fix anything or do better. The product works, it sells, it's consumed by many and that's end of it.

You do realize that Fallout 3 was the only Fallout game Bethesda ever did, and it actually was a huge change compared to the previous titles in the franchise ?

You do realize that Fallout 3 was the only Fallout game Bethesda ever did, and it actually was a huge change compared to the previous titles in the franchise ?

And that is relevant how exactly? Did you even read what I was talking about, or is it that you guys simply see red? OMG he said not broken and Bethesda in one sentence, :mad: forget the context!

Surely this must've been just a misunderstanding on your part?

If it wasn't somehow clear and / or for those who read selective sentences out of posts:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14068502&postcount=88
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14069219&postcount=94

I don't know maybe try again? It's the least you could do because I don't see how your remark is relevant. :)

Oh and BTW despite NV being made by Obsidian (or Osbidian or whatever) I still consider it being the same, same crappy engine, slightly better characters, slight unmemorable changes here and there, same crappy game.

Anyone know where to find more crops to plant in my settlements? Sometimes you find corn and stuff, but I can't seem to plant that. I picked all the plants in Diamond City, but they have not respawned. Which is kind of hilarious in a game where nearly everything else respawns.

I do want to get the achievement for the 3 settlements thing. I'm trying to get some food to my other 2 settlements.

Anyone know where to find more crops to plant in my settlements? Sometimes you find corn and stuff, but I can't seem to plant that. I picked all the plants in Diamond City, but they have not respawned. Which is kind of hilarious in a game where nearly everything else respawns.

I do want to get the achievement for the 3 settlements thing. I'm trying to get some food to my other 2 settlements.

I plant mutfruit in one of my settlements (Sanctuary) and they grow quite fast. You harvest those plants and use them to plant on the other settlements. Mutfruit is also highly profitable, since they produce 1 unit of food instead of 0.5 like corn or other foods...

Ahh, okay, I didn't think to harvest my own plants.

I just killed a mannequin just now outside of Vault 95. I blew its head off. It looked like a real enemy, LOL. I almost shot 2 more inside the vault.

I just massacred entire town to get leather jacket. Well, it was either one mercenary or the whole town of a little too paranoid people. Jacket won.

Top Bottom