Orbis - the original thread

Just checked the changelog!!! awesome changes
elves get bear totem unit!
Earth ele bombard
farms on hills - could you add the biology tech - or mix the effects of what biology did to another tech?
lucian hero
stone skin effects stacks
expanded mercs ???

Now even more excited!

BTW Illians have a dragon too, do they get cult?

I think it would also be cool if the circle of eight granted the twincast promotion.

[to_xp]Gekko;7358917 said:
the additional civs are all good imho and there's a game option for disabling each one of them so it's not an issue ;)

I know, and that is probably what I would do in my personal version...

and then of course all the other FF additions... I especially love ranged attack for archers and siege.

Well, I am 90% sure it is one of the things that were in Orbi before it got to FF :D

btw, FF's XML files are a lot easier to deal with than FFH's and there a lot of additional stuff for modders to play with ;)

Really? In fact, I have not seen excel version of FF, and that hurts as I would have transport all things manually.
I am aware of the additions, but they are dependant on sdk. For now, I do not use one and that makes my job easier ;)

I really like Jeckel's forts. The culture part of them for sure. Let me see what I can do.

Sputnik: I thought about Illians, but I think they are too-single minded on the ice things to get cult. But on the other side, Sheaim are probably too...
As for the twincast, I would prefer something that supports other spells, not summons. Especially alteration ones, but this is rather hard to do. Summons are strong already.

Well, I am 90% sure it is one of the things that were in Orbi before it got to FF :D

They were definitely in Orbi before FF, but they were in MagisterModmod long before that. I believe that ranged attacks for archers (I don't think I'd given it to siege yet) is one of the changes that was in the version I actually released, back in January.

just checked the changelog for 0.34 Orbi, sounds great. I'm definitely gonna give this release a try :D

btw, other great features from FF are definitely the new spell spheres and all the changes to the Elohim, and the rituals ( those are great cuz it's something the AIs fully understand so it makes them better ;)

I will try to post a new version today. Currently I am hunting for bugs and trying to find unique art for new units.
I decided to implement your animal idea in this version, basic version first, so I am working on it now :)

As for the help, I need ideas and opinions. Also, if you know any steampunk/da vinci style unit art I would appreciate it.
Does anybody know if it is posible to adapt Rise of Legends, Dawn of War or Mark of Chaos art to Civ IV format?

Dont know if this is what you are looking for, but I will periodically post art i find in this post as an edit....

Here is a steampunk unit I found, would be awsome for a long ranged attack hero for your Mechanos civ. Maybe it can do up to 90% damage on most units and up to 100% on lvl 1 units.
artwork: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=270296

Warhammer might have some art you could use... - here is warhammer 1.4 ... http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232 - but you probably already use this stuff :p

Would you want a flame thrower unit in your mechanos civ? it seems like it is a really late game tech civ...

Glad you liked the animal idea. cant wait to see it!

Unfortunatelly, It seems I will not be able to post a new version today. It is working, but I really want to test it a bit, maybe I will be able to add some better art too.
I just do not want to rush it.
Sorry for the delay.

im not positive, but I think Ahwaric is making animals give doviello units power... not allowing them to morph into animals. Although I could be mistaken.

Take you time, its important to have a complete game... however, if you ever need an extra play tester... Im available :)

I had another idea, just throwing it out there - the world improvements that provide mana aren't anything special besides just being an existing mana node. I remember in orbi some improvements gave mana when i think FFH2 didn't. I was thinking... to make those special places more important to capture, it would be cool if improvements that only give mana and no production or commerice bonus would give extra mana. So for example the pyre of the seraphic would give 2 or 3 fire mana. Otherwise, its just a glorified fire node.

Do steampunk graphics from civ 3 work with civ 4? some of the units there look decent, and could be used/adapted?

That is right, I try to implement ideas from sputnik's thread
So no morphing to animals. But I may think about it in the future.

Currently it works as follows:
Whole thing is connected to subdue animal promotion. You can get it the normal way, plus all doviello melee & recon units get it for free. Same applies to rangers, druids & beastmasters.
This promotion allows you to adopt one totem animal. When adopted it blocks all further adoptions, so only one per unit.
The possible promotions are:
Wolf totem +15% strength, +20% withdrawal
Bear Totem +30% strength
Polar Bear Totem +40% strength, +20% cold resistance
Lion Totem +1 attack strength, immune to fear ;)
Tiger Totem +25% strength, 3 first attacks
Griffin Totem +1 attack & defence strength, +25% withdrawal
Troll totem +1 attack & defence strength, +25% heal in friendly, neutral & enemy terrain, can heal while moving

I am not sure if to do gorilla totem, elephant (it can give resource, so the promotion has to be good), hill giant or even dragon (if I implement smaller dragons at some point, I can't imagine anyone adopt Abashi ;) )

I am thinking of changing griffin type to beast (I think it fits them better) and improving promotion a bit. Ideas?
It will be combined with moving subdue beast promotion to an earlier tech. Currently it is at feral bond (moved from animal mastery), but I am thinking of even earlier one - animal handling.

Unfortunatelly your world improvement is impossible to implement (well, I do not know how...). Sorry. I will check all of them and add some hammer/commerce/food bonuses. I will think of other possibilities.

Civ III graphics is unfortunatelly of no use - the format is completly different (it is 2D). I will probably use placeholder art for Mechanos :(

sounds good, and changing griffin to beasts makes sense to me. gorilla and elephant totems should definitely be in, hill giants not imho ( they are not animals :D )

...for the elephant (...mammoth) totem, perhaps rather than being for combat troops if could be added to Doviello workers to make them more industrious, or to Doviello Settlers providing a one off production & food boost upon city settlement (ie; it's skin, bones and fat provide a production boost, whilst the meat provides a nice little stockpile to bring city growth that little closer)

for the wolf - rather than give a strength boost, perhaps it should give first strikes, or improve visibility (ie; tapping into the wolf's sense of smell)

I am thinking of changing griffin type to beast (I think it fits them better) and improving promotion a bit. Ideas?
It will be combined with moving subdue beast promotion to an earlier tech. Currently it is at feral bond (moved from animal mastery), but I am thinking of even earlier one - animal handling.

I agree that a Griffon should be classified as a Beast, like Giants and other mythological creatures. Ordinary creatures should be Animals. I would also consider placing the Giant Spider in the Beast category.

The barrier to getting Subdue Beast is not the Tech but the unit type, which I believe is either a Beastmaster or a recon hero with Combat 5. I might add Druid to the list, but would not want to have it become a common promotion.

Thats too bad about the civ 3 graphics. Maybe some of the art people can be recruited from FFH2... because you never know if the mechanos civ or its units will be included somehow into vanillia FFH2 - especially if they get the chance to do artwork on steampunk type stuff (Wish I could do the artwork for a hero with a gattlin gun arm!)

I like the totem numbers - and agree that griffons, elephants and gorilla's need to be thought out on their bonus (cause I would rather make an elephant rider out of a captured elephant). what do you think about animal cages being allowed to produce animal units? (with animal handleing tech or higher)
Maybe griffons could add the flying promotion or +50% to beasts and +100% to animals or both or immune to first strikes...

Love the idea for smaller dragons... I have been promoting drakes(baby dragons) and griffons as special mounts or part of the dragon cults or certain civs. how cool would it be to have drake and griffon riders!(and other special mounts)

Too bad about the world improvement problem - adding hammers/com/ect is an acceptable compromise.

what did you think of adding the effects of biology tech to the commune with nature tech?

agreed with charleswatkins that giant spiders should be beasts instead of animals.

and I totally agree with sputnik323 about being able to build farms without irrigation with a suitable tech. I didn't think that was really needed at first, but now that I've thought about it for a while I gotta say I love the idea.

The barrier to getting Subdue Beast is not the Tech but the unit type, which I believe is either a Beastmaster or a recon hero with Combat 5. I might add Druid to the list, but would not want to have it become a common promotion.

Not any more. In 0.34 the requirement is combat 3, subdue animal & animal mastery. Only recon units can get it, but no more hero requirement.
I decided to keep it at feral bond for now, we will see if it is not too late.

I changed griffins & giant spiders to beast type. Small spiders are still animals.

I added some more totems:
Spider: +1 posion strength, 2 first strikes, 20% withdrawal rate
Gorilla: double movement in all types of forest & jungle, 25% extra experience from combat, 50% cheaper upgrades
Elephant: causes fear, revolt protection (will see how this works)
Mammoth: causes fear, revolt protection, 25% cold resistance

Changed:
Wolf - 25% withdrawal rate, +1 xp from combat
Griffin - +1 attack/defence strength, 15% withdrawal rate, blitz

sputnik323 said:
what did you think of adding the effects of biology tech to the commune with nature tech?
Done :)

I want the promotions to be quite rare. Doviello already get many animals (free subdue + worldspell) and I do not want other civs get more. Well, maybe a bit to allow Grant Menagerie.

Nice way to work the totem changes, i think you have balanced them well... I like them! You are right, the totem promotions should be quite rare except for doviello.
Thanks for adding biology back!
After the next version is out, people will probably be able to generate more ideas based on gameplay... especially with the mechanos.

I had a question, is the new version of orbi going to keep the FFH2 version of markets or the .13 version of orbi? I like the ffh2 market in cases where you do not found religions because of the early gold increase helps with expansion... but I wouldn't know how that balances with monuments giving gold... Maybe a smaller gold and smaller commerice percent could balance the 2. ... just a thought.

this new version sounds really good already :D are mammoth in base ffh2 or did you add them in orbi? I don't think I've ever seen one in 0.33 and 0.34 ( if I remember the lore compendium correctly, they were axed and you added them back, correct? )

edit: btw... 0.34 patch H incoming :D

Top Bottom