Formula 1 2012

I don't follow F1 closely, but is the Red Bull really that superior to other cars? In qualifying conditions it seems to be the best, but during the race it seems the only car that was consistently capable of winning an incident-free race in any circuit was the McLaren. The Red Bull came alive in the second half of the season but I don't think it was better than its rivals earlier.
The opposite is true of the Ferrari: can't compete in qualifying but it isn't so bad relative to the other cars in the race. I'm not taking anything away from Alonso who was pretty good, but I'm not sure I can buy this myth that he was driving a vastly inferior car. It was inferior overall, but reliability is also a component of how good a car is and Ferrari was the best at that for example. Also, the Red Bull appears to have great aerodynamic performance but it's inferior to plenty other cars in straight line speed, I think.

But should rule changes be allowed in the middle of a tournament?
It wouldn't have been a change as much as a clarification. And that design was banned the very next year. The FIA has made similar decisions a number of times in the past. I think they really screwed the pooch on this one because they didn't think it would be such an incredible advantage to a few teams, especially Brawn, over a far longer period than they thought.

Wow, an excellent analysis. Very objective! :thumbsup: I also see Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton on one level. As German I just am a Vettel fan. Also I find that he is a very nice guy.
Thanks. I've been extremely interested in road racing since I was 9 or so. I haven't missed watching an F1 race since the 80s when US TV started carrying all the races.

Vettel seems to get a lot of bad press from other countries which he apparently doesn't really deserve.

I don't follow F1 closely, but is the Red Bull really that superior to other cars? In qualifying conditions it seems to be the best, but during the race it seems the only car that was consistently capable of winning an incident-free race in any circuit was the McLaren. The Red Bull came alive in the second half of the season but I don't think it was better than its rivals earlier.
The opposite is true of the Ferrari: can't compete in qualifying but it isn't so bad relative to the other cars in the race. I'm not taking anything away from Alonso who was pretty good, but I'm not sure I can buy this myth that he was driving a vastly inferior car. It was inferior overall, but reliability is also a component of how good a car is and Ferrari was the best at that for example. Also, the Red Bull appears to have great aerodynamic performance but it's inferior to plenty other cars in straight line speed, I think.
It is closer than it has been in the last few years, expecially after the start of the season. But the Red Bull is still clearly the car to have. It was still dominant in most of the races during the year despite Ferrari and McLaren making large improvements during the season. But as I already said, at least it wasn't overwhelmingly so.

The reason the Red Bull car is inferior in straight line speed is intentional. The design and setup allows the car to be far faster in the higher speed corners. It also seems to have an advantage in mechanical grip which comes into play in the slower corners. I think there is no doubt that Adrian Newey is the top F1 designer at the moment.

The Ferrari at the start of the season was indeed inferior. It was only due to Alonso's incredible talent that it managed to do as well as it did. He seems to be able to get the most out of any car no matter how disadvantaged it might be. This is a quality which only a few of the very top drivers have. But they made some extraordinary improvements during the year despite the bad start.

The good news for all racing fans is that the car is not nearly the dominant factor as it has been in the past. The reasons for this are numerous. The FIA continues to change the rules which levels the playing field to a great extent. The engines from the top teams are now being shared across far more teams making them far more competitive. The DRS in particular means that there is far more passing, as well as the use of two different tires. The latter also makes race strategy extremely important. And the lack of fueling means that one major difference between the abilities of various teams is now eliminated.

This was another extremely exciting year for F1. It used to be far more boring not all that long ago, especially during Schumacher's incredible reign. But what is perhaps the most promising sign is that F1 is no longer essentially dominated by only 3 teams. We continue to see tomorrow's stars making some extraordinary drives to break into the top positions.

I must say that these posts of yours are great. And I agree and see that what you said is true, but I wouldn't have been able to put it down in such a way.

Thanks! Much of it is due to the most excellent F1 coverage on Speed, which is sadly going away next year. I can only hope that the NBC sports channel that has the new contract does a similarly good job.

But my own experiences autocrossing and even briefly racing certainly help.

I get it on FOX Sports. They have a set of multi-sports jacks-of-all-trades that are acceptable at none. :(

Back in Belgium, they broadcast the races almost. And with the win of Vettel, well, it was written in the stars that he should win again!

I get it on FOX Sports. They have a set of multi-sports jacks-of-all-trades that are acceptable at none. :(
That is a real shame. The same thing used to happen in the US when major networks would pick up one or two of the more prominent races, like Monaco and the British GP, and broadcast them in lieu of Speed TV to ostensibly gain a larger audience.

So, will Ferrari appeal or not? 20 secs.

Ferrari has formally presented some sort of appeal. It would be really embarrassing for such a thing to be settled outside the track. Why wasn't this noticed at the moment?

The FIA claims that there was a flag station between the flashing yellow light and the flashing green light where a green flag was displayed.

Formula 1 - Analysis: Why Vettel's pass was legal

With the use of lights, due to increased visibility, the track can be divided up into fewer sectors as line-of-sight is not always needed between them. At Interlagos, there were 22 marshals' posts while the FIA installed 16 light panels, which means there was overlap in places. The warning lights are also linked to the display in the cockpit.

According to high level FIA sources, the light panel that was showing yellow for Pastor Maldonado's stricken Williams was shown 100 metres before the next marshal post, which was located near the exit of the pitlane.

At this marshal's post a green flag was being waved on lap four - at the same time as the light signal at Turn Four was displaying green.

The separation of these two posts was about 350 metres and FIA race director Charlie Whiting has made it clear to drivers since lights were introduced more than five years ago that when there are consecutive signals from both a flag and a light, it is the first one that counts.
When Ferrari received this response from the FIA, they decided not to appeal.

Since Vettel is again World Champion, Schumis decision to retire is okay
siding with Vettel like no other driver
perfect Schumi successor

Seeing that is completely unrelated to Maldonado, I'd say it is quite similar to Perez's comment.

But I'd certainly like to hear a lot more how Maria de Villota could have possibly struck the lift gate of a truck. At least she is now out of intensive care.

As usual, the Daily Mail has somehow managed to come up with a photo when nobody else seems to have managed to do so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-support-horror-crash.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Maria De Villota is dead at 33. The medical examiner claims it was due to "natural causes", but another forensic doctor has claimed it was due to this incident.

In a statement, the family said a forensic doctor told them she had died "as a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered" in the incident.

De Villota needed lengthy surgery on serious head and facial injuries after colliding with a lorry at Duxford Aerodrome, Cambridgeshire, but had been cleared to resume driving.

The potential link between De Villota's crash in 2012 and her death is being investigated by Britain's Health and Safety Executive.

An HSE spokeswoman said the organisation "would expect to be kept informed of any new evidence". The Banbury-based Marussia team said last year the car was not a factor in the accident.

Top Bottom