Domination victory strategies on Deity - input wanted

My most successful DomVs on Deity have been where I take 1-2 capitals with CBs, then grow (and repair diplo) until artillery. I feel this is slightly easier for me than just tech-ing to artillery and then attacking without any capitals taken.

In the case I mentioned, Ahmad was also the highest score. I wonder if I reloaded and went after Gandhi instead, it would be better for me.

I'm thinking of going back to Immortal for a while...

My most successful DomVs on Deity have been where I take 1-2 capitals with CBs, then grow (and repair diplo) until artillery. I feel this is slightly easier for me than just tech-ing to artillery and then attacking without any capitals taken.

In the case I mentioned, Ahmad was also the highest score. I wonder if I reloaded and went after Gandhi instead, it would be better for me.

I'm thinking of going back to Immortal for a while...

Just a quick update. I went back and tried the peace approach. I asked for peace after taking Cordoba and then recuperated my losses, brought my GW bomber force ready. Then I attacked, this was successful. Then I made peace again, and then 10 turns later I took another city.

I was running out of time for a Dom Vic so I went for Science and launched on 314. I was tech leader with 94% literacy.

This post is intended as a summary of everything I’ve learned from a few months of solid warmongering. I’m no master, but can win DomV on Deity around 75% of the time, now, I feel.

Main idea: I've come to feel that the key to Domination on Deity is maintaining a unit edge. Science really isn't important as long as you have the edge.

There are several factors that I’ve identified as playing into this:-

1. Your own tech: You don’t have to be the tech leader, but you need to arrive at key military techs in good time. What constitutes a good time varies, but really you should always aim to get there as soon as possible. This means founding 3 cities, in good locations that have food, and growing them as much as possible. Granaries, water mills, aqueducts are all important and should not be neglected.

2. Food: If your starting location does not have sufficient food, you’re gonna have a hard time on Deity pursuing any VC, but diplo can still be achieved without having the highest population or the tech lead. I would argue that although it IS possible that you will be able to take the nearest capital and have that compensate for a poor food start, I still think DomV on Deity is situational and should not be attempted on all starts, nor should Honor-Commerce-Autocracy be used on all maps. Peddro himself showed this on DCL #9 when he went Liberty instead.

3. AI tech: Sometimes they go a lot faster than others. The same factors that play into Human tech speed obviously affect the AI, too, but they also tend to be a bit odd and inconsistent, and make much poorer decisions. Sometimes you can be in the middle of a Pangaea sweep and it’s obvious no one has tech-ed enough to be a real threat, and you’re gonna be able to take the whole thing down with XBs and Horses. At other times, especially with Continents, there is some tech runaway 12 techs ahead of you, and you will be lucky if you can kill him before the Modern era. Be flexible and try not to underestimate or overestimate what you need to do to find the edge. Sometimes you build a huge army and when you get to the city, the AI has medieval era troops that stand no chance against your Industrial. It would have been better to divide the army and send some to another target. Conversely, sometimes a runaway has a better army than you and you will need to overwhelm them with numbers and human cleverness. If your units can kill their army and besiege their city without dying, you have the edge. If you need to be really careful with unit placement and you might lose some troops, you’ve probably lost the edge.

4. Terrain: most Pangaea are quite easy to sweep. If you keep some GGs, you can use them to break mountain passes, hilly areas, jungle, river crossings and the GW. What you can’t use them for is to replace a navy. Sometimes you WILL need one, so you should build or annex a coastal city where you can make ships. The terrain will also determine the optimal order for capital sniping. I am still working on this aspect, and I think it’s very easy to overlook the importance of who to attack next, as this determines diplo and trading and so much else. If it takes a long time to get somewhere, you might lose the edge on the way.

5. Momentum: Any time you spend ‘recovering’ or trying to ‘catch up in tech’ is almost lethal to your DomV attempt. If you are going full-out war from the Classical or Medieval eras, then catching up in tech is rarely possible with 1 or 2 good AIs in the game. By the time you are at their door, if you waited, they will slaughter you. So keep pressing all the time, use every resource you have. Don’t worry about negative GPT or happiness as long as you can keep the train moving. Aim to finish the game before T250, and really, I think, every turn over T200 makes the game 1% more difficult.

Love your mini-guide consentient, wish could execute it well better. My deity games just don’t go fast enough.

Could you explain more about how you find three cities (for honor) to be the sweet spot? I image two is better than three because that extra city for hard building units helps so much. But why is three better than four? Is it just for managing happiness, or is there more?

Three cities > four because it helps with:-

- earlier NC, which is important when you go Education before Construction, for example
- Culture targets, and there is enough of a culture bottleneck anyway before you take a couple of Wonder-loaded capitals
- Happiness
- Not bringing too much coveting because you don't expand too much

Well, I'm one of the worst warmongers on this forum :D

but anyway back in the day, I heard stories that going to war is pretty much a boring drag until you get arties and planes. Then I saw (and sometimes executed) a CB rush that seems to completely leave the AI with their pants down, and somewhere along the path you upgrade CBs to XBs and keep rolling. Naturally, fighting a common enemy with another Civ is a really awesome diplomatic boost, especially if your ally is the Huns, who just gladly buys captured cities neither of you need and you can sometimes get MASSIVE gold out of it, even though if you ask "what will you give me for this" you get the 'sod off' type of answer. Maybe that's a glitch?

However, all of that falls short if you're to invade a jungle/forest/hilly Civ, because by the time you're perched your bows in position, some of the punch they pack is killed and reinforcements aren't steady enough. That's currently my biggest issue with warmongering and why I quickly give up on a campaign even though I'm doing kind of well.

Basically it comes down to the strengths of your civ. For a really early game conquest with a severely overwhelming UUs (Keshiks, Camels, etc), I'd assume diplomacy is the least of your worries, just roll and stomp everyone before Industrial Era :D

I read somewhere that a general strategy for America is to keep turtling until you get the unique bomber thing and clear out the map in 20 turns. Never obviously tested it, so I'd like to hear from yous guys

An excellent way to tip the scales is to try and ally any nearby city states before attacking. Peace will not be an option and they will be forced to stretch out making them somewhat less of an issue to kill without much casualties. CSs provide happiness you sorely need and you obviously should expect to hit a Civ that had Notre Dame :D

Yes, stormtrooper. A big part of my strategy is buying CS allies that neighbour my next target. I'd say it's the main thing I spend money on before Autocracy, if that comes.

Edit: oh wow, I just saw the date on this. You still interested if we can get the save to load?

But how to do it? I have my work cut out, not being that good a player.

Please tell me what you would do from this position, to preserve troops and win the war.

I'll take a crack at this and see what I can do. Sounds interesting, just hope I don't load into all my units being destroyed by GWBs!

Don't worry, I'm not bothered about the save anymore. I'm a lot better at warmongering now and want this thread just to become a general repository for warmongering tips.

Three cities > four because...

I war too slow and inevitably lost my first try at Honor/Commerce/Autocracy at Immortal with Ottomans. I am replaying that game now, having skipped the fourth city. Things went much, much better in the early game! It is not much of a test, but I think you quite correct that three founded cities is the sweet spot (when not pursing Tradition or Liberty). Thanks!

Nice summary above, consentient. I agree that 3 founded cities is ideal for honor (only need 3 factories for ideology). Founding more cities would require hammers or gold which should be used building an army.

Here's a tactic I sometimes use when going honor:

I like to take the left side first, to get faster upgrades quickly. The GG comes very early, however, and is usually not needed, so if there is a CS close to one of your expansion spots, declare war (usually with stealing a worker) and bomb it with your GG.

This gives you a perfect boot camp to level up your archers (or CA if you are Arabia or Mongolia), while you are working towards NC, and the start of your warpath. Try to steal lux or strategics as well, and stay at perma-war with the CS.

This works much better than usual boot-camping, since you can continue to lvl your units after the CS could normally one-shot them. Park a melee unit in the citadel, and make sure it has a few HP dmg (basically, just keep it healing, and let the CS take shots) so the CS targets it instead of your ranged units.

Your archers will get to ranged/logistics quickly, and all the XP from the CS will give you another GG (or two) around when you are ready to start the warpath ;) This works especially well when playing Mongolia or Arabia, where you wait till chivalry to start killing the AI.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0033 copy.jpg
    Civ5Screen0033 copy.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 67
I've been using Peddro's strict method on whether to go left side or right first. If you feel sure you don't need the culture from Military Caste, then go Left for the XP boost, but in 90%+ of cases, right side is better.

Whenever I take right side first, I find I'm not ready to park units in my cities in time for MC. My units are usually out hunting barbs, completing CS quests, or exploring. Do you build an extra scout per city after monuments?

I've been using Peddro's strict method on whether to go left side or right first

I've read Peddro's Guide, but couldn't find this. Would be interested in his method, since I usually just go left side first for XP boost. Allying a cultural CS early would obviously help.

I bring the scouts home once I've found all the AI and it looks like all the ruins are gone. As I capture each city, I buy a scout and park it there so I don't have to waste a real unit to get the MC bonus.

Top Bottom