Rhye's of Civilization: the fastest loading mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhye, I got a little confusing reading the thread... Where can I download the lastest 'release' version of mod (and its latest patches) ?

Rhye Im ticked man. I tried to do the upgrade myself (moron that I am) and after creating the civ's (Korea,Mongols etc.) I loaded the game only to find that file "#" is missing.....what did I do wrong? And can you dot he upgrade cause for heavens sake I can't figure my own name out anymore...

Oh...and just so you know I transfered the file from .bic to .bix format to be ablt to have more than 16 civs. I was sad to find that the PTW civs did not just automatically convert over. I had to manually make every one....so you can see why I'm frustrated...i spent about 4 hours fuguring the stuff out only to come into what i consider to be an all but impossible road block...

Here's kind of a play by play of what I did so maybe you can help me to fix it.

To begin with I transfered the file from .bic format to.bix format so I could use the PTW editor and so i would have the capability to increase civs... Everything went fine with that and the scenario opened just fine in PTW. I then went ahead and began the real work. I Increased the civs ina single scenario to 22 and included the mongols,celtics,carthagians etc. I used the normal PTW map and cut and pasted everything over to make the civs work (I didn't want to change anyhting I just wanted to place the civs in the MOD. After that I began unit creation following the PTW units exactly (Berserk Korean Cannon thingy etc.).Finally i placed the starting points and everyhting looked good until...... I attempted to start the scenario. I received this message:

FILE NOT FOUND
"#"

and it exits the program. I have absoluteley no idea what to do. All I did was copy what is supposed to be in PTW into this scenario.... does anyone have any idea why I received this message and does anybody know what I can do? All I want is to play the darn scenario with a few extra civs. Please help!

-> Nobleleader...

You can find the files in the first page of this thread, right below the installing instructions. If you find other threads of something with my name in the maps forum, ignore them, as those are my old works, out of date now.

-> Eddiit....

Thanks for your compliments.
I see that you want to add starting places for PTW civs.
But they are in the PTW version of my mod!! (didn't you download it??)
They are divided in two groups, because 24 civs can't fit in a 140x140 map. For this reason, I suggest you not to add them. The two files contain each 16 civs, standard civ and PTW mixed: the first contains 16 "ancient" civs (Rome, Celts, China etc.), the second 16 "modern" civs (France, America, China again etc.)
As I explained in the readme, resources were re-distribuited in different way in the two .bix. In fact the rules I changed force for example cities to grow a bigger size to be able to produce a settler. And sometimes starting locations can't produce all this food.
So, the result of enabling 24 civs would be:
- very tiny civs (expecially europeans), leading to an unbalancement of the game (just think how Celts and France bother each other)
- some civs don't grow, due to lack of food
So, if you want to do it anyway, I suggest you to do a work of putting the resources in the right places, comparing the 3 scenario versions (the standard Civ and both the PTW). For example, an area with many changes was Arabia.
By the way, I really don't know what can cause that error. But I don't understand why did you do all those things!! It's very simple: just edit a .bix (ancient or modern) and activate civs, then set starting locations and do that work on resources placing.
No need to convert from .bic!!!

About future projects....I would like to release some day one day a 180x180 version of this mod, with 24 civs together. And I've made a map on my own. So there's much work to do: complete the map, put all the resources, copy all the rules (and edit some of them) and playtest all many times.
If you can't wait and you want to try something on your own, I suggest you to search for my old posts. I once made a mod called "Kal-El's Earth map with resources by Rhye v2.6" or something like this. You can find it in the maps forum.
Of couse this is an old project, and it was the starting point for creating Rhye's of Civilization. Some of the rules changes were originally in that mod. But it lacks of many thing (expecially speed) and contains some errors on the map to be corrected. But it's a 180x180 kal-el's earth map, after all.... My suggestion is to take it and apply Rhye's of Civilization rules on it, and enabling all the civs. Again, there would be the food problem, but I'm sure you can work around it.

I would like to volunteer to help playtest your 180x180 version of this mod. I've had so much fun with the smaller map I'm sure I'd love the larger one. ANyways I figured out what happened....when I downloaded your PTW version it got mixed up somehow with the normal version...when I searched for the PTW I couldnt find it....so I assumed you just left it as a .bic and didn't give the chance to include the new civs....anyways thanks for the help and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Originally posted by Eddiit
I would like to volunteer to help playtest your 180x180 version of this mod. I've had so much fun with the smaller map I'm sure I'd love the larger one.

I'd be happy to have someone willing to playtest the final version!
The only problem is that I want to finish the new map, and release it only with the mod. And it will take a long time, as my work was halted a month ago due to lack of feedback.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48939
This is the thread of the map

WOW!!! I took the hassle to register a username just to post a reply...This is simply the best "mod"(if you could call it that) i've ever d/led and played. It is because of this map that I stayed up to 4 a.m with 3 cans of coke beside my mouse :)

One question...I'm only a amateur Civ3 player, so I pretty much got owned in the Monarch difficulty. In the Readme it said this map was designed to be play at that dif, so if I played it at lower levels will it affect the a.i in any way? Thnx in advance, again for such a great map/mod.

Thanks!!!

About your question, lowering difficutly level will have these effects:
-AI discovers techs slower, so the player may become the most advanced civ. And this could cause a delay: timeline could seem to go too fast compared to science (for example, musketeers discovered in 1500 instead of 1300, America discovered after 1600). Unless the player conquers half world and leads the world science with over 30 cities. But I don't see much fun in dominating so easily :)
-Loading times reduced (and this is good!)

An higher difficulty level will cause instead a faster AI research and a faster colonization (slower loading times).

So, as you can see, you should be able to play a game without problems changing level.
This is due to the changes I made to the levels, too (from the readme: "- Chieftain cost factor = 16 instead of 20; Deity cost factor = 7 instead of 6. This is to reduce range of tech, settlers and units cost ")

First, I'd like to say Hi all. I'm new here. I downloaded this mod, but I can't get your scenerio to work, it says it may be corrupt. Also, does this work for just your scenerio or, the regular game too? TYIA

What is corrupt? The zip file? If it's the zip, then just try to download it again. Then install it following the instructions, and load the scenario from the menu. It's a scenario, but if you haven't PTW then some files will overwrite the originals (you must backup them)

When I goto the menu, and click load scenario. I see your .bic file there. When I click to open it, I get this message, "Could not open scenario file. This file may be corrupt." I tried to redownload it again, but I got the same thing. I does change the terrain in all my saves though. I also don't have PTW.

Yep, that was it. I updated and it works great. Love it! Great work. Thanks a lot for the help too.

I haven't been playing Civ3 for a while, and I just downloaded the mod. It's wonderful. I've always wanted a decent, playable real world. In the past, I played several real worlds on a 500 mhz computer and was actually inspired to go get a new one (1.8). The turns were still five minutes. On this mod, the turns are almost instantaneous.

I would love you maybe adding say Sudanese (Ghana, Songhai, Mali), maybe Maya, maybe Indonesia (the historic Javan kingdoms). The Iroquois and Zulus, of course, weren't around in 4000 B.C. but on kind of a suspension of disbelief sort or thing I always except them as representatives of North American Indians (Cahokians?) and Bantu (who, after all, probably migrated from the Sudan, which would make a problem with adding the Sudanese (oh, well). But here follows feedback on how the thing plays.

I played the first game Regent and did experience the technology slowdown thing. I did get too dominant and had nobody else to swap techs with. I will just barely get my last tech in 2046 if I can keep it at no more than 6 turns a tech.

I played Japanese (always play the Japanese, love building wonders with great leaders, and hate long revolutions). As I didn't expect iron in Japan (there is some, though the readme suggests that there is not), I went right to mapmaking and was able to colonize Korea and Southern China)I then used my swordsmen to do in the Chinese. Didn't have enough swordsmen so I had to finish with samurai. For the most part, I didn't do much with the samurai because I was fighting off attacks from Romans and Celts and so could get my golden age while I was jumpstarting universites and banks. When I got cavalry, I wanted India (lots of luxuries), had to get past the Persians (who had flipflopped the Indians into SE Asia, kept going to get most of the rest of the Persians. Along the way the Celts and Romans (the other two great powers) would occasionally start something and I was able to cherry-pick a city or two (luckily enough, including Babylon and Karakorum.) Now I'm in the late 1900s, a satisfied power, but building a bunch of tanks (inordinately newfangled because of the tech lag) and contemplating further mischief. The Greeks have wine but they're on the other side of a few Roman cities. Hmm. The fate of the Ai civs-Celts, good, Romans and Egyptians, fair to good, Mongolians and Carthaginians, done in my other folks than me. The Scandinavians, Babylonians and Greeks, relatively poor though I've done them no harm. The Chinese, Indians, and Persians, of coure, had their natural development cut off, but didn't seem particularly strong when I attacked them. I don't know what a human player could do with the other civilizations but the Celts and Romans seemed the best placed for an AI to play

I get the point of doing 6 and 60 on the tech. I have always relied on a couple of 4s to speed the thing along. Two questions:
1. Do you think setting the thing back to 4 would cause the AI to start swapping like mad in antiquity and all have railroads by 200 B.C. or do you think that would be relatively harmless (at least in regent) because it is rare to get a tech for less than 6 anyway), and 2. What do you think "accelerated production" would do to the thing, bring back all the problems you just got rid of? Er, maybe I should stop being such a wimp and play Monarch?

Thanks again. I'm gratified to finally be able to play the real world. I'm looking forward to trying the Celts and, after trying to get reasonably secure in Europe (do in Romans, Greeks and Scandinavians, then maybe Egyptians and Babylonians to be sure of oil) taking off for the new world to try my fortunes there. Yeah, I spose I could have done that from Japan. I just didn't. I still haven't gotten used to it not taking a century to cross an ocean.

Originally posted by gormtheold
I haven't been playing Civ3 for a while, and I just downloaded the mod. It's wonderful. I've always wanted a decent, playable real world. In the past, I played several real worlds on a 500 mhz computer and was actually inspired to go get a new one (1.8). The turns were still five minutes. On this mod, the turns are almost instantaneous.

Thanks. It's good to see that the aim of my work is appreciated :)

I would love you maybe adding say Sudanese (Ghana, Songhai, Mali), maybe Maya, maybe Indonesia (the historic Javan kingdoms).

I'm waiting for next civ3 expansion. After that, I'll think about releasing a new version

I played the first game Regent and did experience the technology slowdown thing. I did get too dominant and had nobody else to swap techs with. I will just barely get my last tech in 2046 if I can keep it at no more than 6 turns a tech.

Play Monarch for a fair challenge

As I didn't expect iron in Japan (there is some, though the readme suggests that there is not),

:eek: What a bad stupid mistake! I really don't know what I was thinking about when I put that iron there.

I get the point of doing 6 and 60 on the tech. I have always relied on a couple of 4s to speed the thing along. Two questions:
1. Do you think setting the thing back to 4 would cause the AI to start swapping like mad in antiquity and all have railroads by 200 B.C. or do you think that would be relatively harmless (at least in regent) because it is rare to get a tech for less than 6 anyway),

I think that reducing from 6 to 4 is harmless. Instead 60 to 40 would speed-up early ages

and 2. What do you think "accelerated production" would do to the thing, bring back all the problems you just got rid of?

I've never played with accelerated production. But I've seen that cities produce X2 faster. I don't know anything about research. Bur I think that this would distort the timeline and cause a slowness in the game loadings (too many units)

I'm looking forward to trying the Celts

My suggestion is to try the modern civs version. In my opinion it's even more realistic. For example, Germans have an incredible production power (and I suggest not to declare them war! :)); England colonize islands; Russia is very lange but a giant of paper (science backwards); Americans are very weak until 1700 but then they grow and become a world power in mid 1800
And If I were you, I'd play monarch. You seem to be too powerful in your regent game. As you've said, it's a bit "too easy": it's the right time to upgrade your level

Well, maybe it's just my style of play, but I always seem to have to become totally dominant relatively early or I lose. It seems like it's always too easy or too hard. I tend to intersperse developmental periods with unit-building periods, conquer the next civilization with swordsmen, the next one (or hopefully two) with the medieval unit, and then the next one or two with cavalry. By that time, especially if the great leaders created by the cavalry wars are available for the Hoover Dam and the Theory of Evolution, I tend to be unchallengable. If anybody is too equal going into the modern age, I tend to lose. Maybe requring six turns in the modern age would fix that by rendering whatever AIs survive into the modern age competitive less able to specialize and swap (does each AI have a different tech strategy? they must, cause they always seem able to collaborate rather than each one doing the same techs in the same order).

With regard to the hit early and hit often strategy, my son has a friend that follows this strategy to its logical conclusion (unlike me) and never researches anything, just builds units and piles up money and either takes or buys all the techs he needs. He beats it regularly at far higher levels than I. I just don't like that syle of play. I gotta have all sorts of buildings in my cities.

I will try the modern version, but perhaps I am too much of a purist in my pursuit of a historically accurate (as close as can be, I know it's a game). Derivative civilizations like the Americans, the English or the French running around in 3000 B.C. with spears always kind of offends me, particularly the Americans. At least the ancestors of the English and the French were reasonably close by, but the ancestors of the Americans (at least of the United States which is what Civ means by the Americans) were on a whole nother continent. I don't know why Abe Lincoln in furs offends me more than Mao or Bismarck or Joan of Arc (the saint with cleavage) but somehow it does. But then again, I spose they are no more ridiculous-looking than Xerxes in a straw hat or Shaka with a derby.

Thanks again for the wonderful work. Those of us (and there seem plenty) who are trying to do a simulation as well as a game (I know it's kind of silly, the thing's just a game) appreciate it.

About me, I've a mixed style of play. I can switch to aggressive or isolationist mode depending on the situation.

About civ realism, this has always been the only criticism to the civilization game. It's a matter of opinions, but I can tolerate better modern civs in ancient age than ancient civs in modern ages. After all, it's only about 160 of 540 turns of historical mismatch (except for americans). In the other case, it's a mismatch for all the rest of the game (Celts or Carthaginians for more than 400 turns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom