SV vs DV gameplay

Johnpecan

Warlord
I've been trying other victory conditions other than the relatively straightforward SV (on deity). I've found that the way I play my SV and DV games are pretty similar. I pretty much follow the same tech path of a SV to research labs, then go to globalization instead of satellites. Curious if I'm missing anything because these are the only changes I do when going for a DV instead of SV pre Atomic era:

-Try to get Forbidden palace, lose 90% of the time to the AI
-Get a few early city state allies, try to get my religion and then later ideology world support.
-Offer all my money to any civ to vote for me in the world leader, get turned down every time.

Is there anything else pre-atomic era to do? The only other things I can think of are:

-Liberate /defend all the city states.
-Resurrect players eliminated from the game (I assume they would vote for you).

There have been a couple of games where I went for a DV and just hit the wall where I had ally of all the CS as well as globalization / diplomat in every capital and I was still down 2 to 6 votes. I assume the only way would be to go on a liberating/resurrecting spree just making sure I didn't miss anything else.

I assume you mean Diplomatic Victory. You said you're playing DV close to the same way as you do SV, and the common way people do Deity SV doesn't involve a whole lot of military. Except liberating people does involve quite a bit of military: you are taking on civilizations strong enough to capture other people's cities in the first place. I liberate all the time because that is my Domination Victory strategy--not my SV strategy.

The one thing I believe you missed doing it your way is to vote in favor of other AIs' resolutions, and maybe propose stuff they like. If you vote in favor of their stuff, they will vote in favor of yours: even World Leader.

On Deity, forget about trying to hand build Forbidden Palace.

You might however want to consider conquering whichever city it was built in.

No, the primary approach to Diplomatic Victory isn't to try to bribe the AI into voting for you. Instead the primary path is to ally with all city states on the map + pass the world ideology + in the info era turn all spies into diplomats and research Globalism. Also build the NIA to get an addition free spy to also turn into a diplomat.
Liberating city states and resurrecting majors will help.

Freedom has a level 3 tenet that can help you become allies with city states as long as the world doesn't embargo city states.

He's playing low CS count and still not getting enough votes even after allying all the CS and getting Globalization. The question is what does he have to do then?

The one thing I believe you missed doing it your way is to vote in favor of other AIs' resolutions, and maybe propose stuff they like. If you vote in favor of their stuff, they will vote in favor of yours: even World Leader.

Hmm that's worth a try. I've had some pretty friendly AIs and I still haven't ever seen a non-resurrected civ vote for me in the world leader. That's a huge swing though so worth a try.

making favorable proposals does help in diplo relations but almost all AIs vote strongly for themselves in world leader proposals.
the way to go is still treaty organization+globalization, in my opinion. I wouldn't even bother resurrecting other civs unless I have their capital and give back a minor city.

the tech path is basically the same up till plastics because you always want science to push you to freedom early, and get to the vote before some AI pulls off an SV

What civ are you playing? Maybe try Greece, Siam or Poland at first? On more or less decent maps I have found Greece to be very powerful civ since you get many allied CS like forever :D

Ironically, the best way to a Diplo Victory is an aborted DomV. If you war, you will complete many more quests:-

- You will have more money for the gold gift quests
- You will have more science for the tech-ing quests
- You will have more culture, possibly more faith
- You will conquer cities and 'connect' their resources to your trade network

etc. etc.

I warmonger 90% of the time and if I feel I can't or won't go DomV, I can switch to Diplo, which is really just a gold victory, with enough culture to get 80% through Patronage, and 20% through Commerce, as well as Trad/Liberty+Rationalism, which you would do well to have.

Can you buy world leader votes? I've never tried. If you're going for the win, you might as well sell the farm.

Can you buy world leader votes? I've never tried. If you're going for the win, you might as well sell the farm.
You can certainly try. The only time I've received a world leader vote is from a resurrected civ. For non-resurrected civs, I have tried throwing 10k+ gold and all resources at every civ (even ones with +10) and nobody took the bait.

I agree with consentient however. In Civ4 you could win a military victory by controlling something like 2/3 of the population and land which is almost easier than taking every capital. In Civ 5, transitioning from a domination victory to a diplomatic one makes sense for the reasons consentient said. Also it's easier to finish a diplomatic victory if you have a big army to liberate/ressurect.

I get accidental dipVs all the time from domination style play. I thought the question was more how to detour from a standard Deity turn 220 SV to a dipV. Maybe it's possible to gun it to info age and switch to military, but I suspect that's not the optimal way to dipV. Not with nuclear weapons. I think kissing up to the other guy who proposed a UN resolution and voting for his proposal is quicker. And if that doesn't work, you can try for a fast World leader vote and at least get the most votes. The next time you're up for World leader vote, the bonus votes should put you over the top. In that middle time between your first and second votes, it wouldn't hurt to work on your military.

You can certainly try. The only time I've received a world leader vote is from a resurrected civ. For non-resurrected civs, I have tried throwing 10k+ gold and all resources at every civ (even ones with +10) and nobody took the bait.

I agree with consentient however. In Civ4 you could win a military victory by controlling something like 2/3 of the population and land which is almost easier than taking every capital. In Civ 5, transitioning from a domination victory to a diplomatic one makes sense for the reasons consentient said. Also it's easier to finish a diplomatic victory if you have a big army to liberate/ressurect.

This is certainly not the case for several reasons, at least on deity that is. The only thing harder in Civ 5 is preventing the ai from winning the science victory(aka space race).

Top Bottom