When is it time to move to Immortal?

gunslinger6792

Warlord
I've had several games on emperor mainly playing with korea and in ever single game i've taken a massive tech lead by the early middle ages by which point my game becomes boring. Also in almost every game most civs don't expand past 3 cities for most of the games which doesn't create a challenge.(i do play with the perfectworld3 mod which is a mapscript) What im wondering is if i move up to immortal will i get more of a challenge? Will the AI civs actually challenge me military and technologically if I move up to immortal? Or is my playing as korea skewing my game experiences?

Edit!!! I meant to post this in Gods & Kings because im unsure if g&k would effect game play that much. if a mod see's this can you move it please?

Yes they will. Go for it.

And if you ever want to go back down to Emperor, play it on Quick Speed so you won't lose your Immortal touch.

at higher difficulties games can go really awkward. had France spawn at the other end of the world once on emperor and swallow every single civ on the map, by the time he got to me i was at a complete loss, outteched, outnumbered, outcheated i guess
in my current immortal game i gaped when "Pacal entered industrial era in 11XY AD"

Experiencing the same thing as you. I think teh real sign is when you can outtech the ai without using GS, like I did in my last game, with the same number of cities that they had.

Offtopic: Lollibast love your signature

Immortal's become my default difficulty now - it's a good challenge while Emperor is just way too easy. It's quite a bit leap though, I still think there should be a difficulty between the two. Never even tried Deity but it just seems like it wouldn't be remotely fun

If you're bored, it might also be because you're playing as the same civ every time. I rarely play the same civ more than once cos I find part of the fun is getting to know how all the UAs, UBs and UU affect the game. Might just be me, but I can't understand why you'd want to play the same game over and over again!

at higher difficulties games can go really awkward. had France spawn at the other end of the world once on emperor and swallow every single civ on the map, by the time he got to me i was at a complete loss, outteched, outnumbered, outcheated i guess

This isn't just emperor. Kamehameha Did this to me twice on king.

I play on Emperor and the difficulty seems to vary a lot . Out of the blue in one game the computer built the apollo mission while i was about 3 tech levels behind them , no idea how they managed it. Sometimes they have 40+ cities and huge armies , other times they very weak.

I think the CIV you play and the other CIVs on the map and of course luck make a big difference. Try another civ and pick the AI civs to be the toughest ones.

OP what map type you play on? I find on continents sometimes the AI can be powerful when it ends up owning all the other continent. If the AI's there end up equal and arent wiped out it becomes very easy.

Mapscripts like PerfectWorld tend to mess up the AI a bit, so if you want to create a challenge for yourself do standard continents or pangaea. No, I don't think you playing as Korea is the problem, but you'll have to get used to getting wondersniped a lot. Don't plan on getting Great Library either.

On Immortal and Diety you REALLY have to focus on 2 things: Science and Food. Food gives you science, and science keeps you barely behind the AI. If you are going for a diplo or science victory, National College is a must, and Tradition tree is the ONLY tree you need. Then you need to start working on Rationalism tree when you hit renaissance. Culture victory is hard if you can't get any wonders, but it's still possible with a good pantheon and appropriate tech pathing.

Just get used to being outteched, outproduced, and outspent. You should be able to get the Pyramids in most Immortal games, maybe Henge, but certainly not Statue of Zeus or Temple of Artemis (although I did manage to get that once). But good luck!

I played many Emperor games and enjoyed most of them. There is always an early challenger, but if you can overcome it, the second half of the game is too easy. I finally decided to make the jump to Immortal and am enjoying it immensely. Bathing in rivers of blood is lots more fun than clicking next turn over and over and over...

I say play a bit more Emperor games as other civilizations. I always see Korea kind of overpowered at the moment. With the RA bug, the 200% from Catapults, and Korea by far the best science civ, other civs that doesn't have this quality can certainly make the game more challenging. And some have their own starting biases which keep the game more varied.

thank you for your imput. So far my first immortal game has gone well. most civs in my game are growing well with 2 civs thus far ahead of me in tech so its going to a tight game.

I've found that I typically take a tech lead somewhere near the beginning but loose it around the gunpowder era.

I always play huge maps with at least 12 civs, and I think that is inherently much more difficult than smaller maps with less civs on same same difficulty setting. I would venture to guess that huge map 12 civs on emperor is more difficult than small map or smaller on immortal.

I've found that I typically take a tech lead somewhere near the beginning but loose it around the gunpowder era.

I always play huge maps with at least 12 civs, and I think that is inherently much more difficult than smaller maps with less civs on same same difficulty setting. I would venture to guess that huge map 12 civs on emperor is more difficult than small map or smaller on immortal.

ur little venture got u nowhere, on emperor diff u can wonder whore every single wonder and out tech any of those A.I. if u notice the difference in diff is just the beginning for the a.i so i would tell u that immortal a.i is alot more aggresive and they get pottery, animal husbandry and archery(side note i prob played 30 immortal games and ussually temple of artemis and great library are all build on like turn 30-40) and armies are much bigger.

so try to play immortal, and if u feel it soft go for diety cuz it aint eazy bieng cheezy

well i have reached the gunpowder era and i have a tech and score lead. also managed to take hiwthawa's capital. should be intresting though to see how the AI progresses I have some rising powers including Siam, Japan (on my flank), Ethiopia so it should be fun.

Top Bottom