No popup windows in multiplayer any more?

Taegost

Chieftain
So, my buddy and I started up a new multiplayer game yesterday (3, as a matter of fact...) and in them, we didn't get any popup windows (No "You've met Caesar!", or "The Ruins give you stuffs!"). There aren't any options in the multiplayer window to enable them, and they worked 2 days ago when we started our last couple games.
Is there something I missed? A new patch?
The only difference between then and now is that I bought the Gold Edition so I could get the extra civs and maps (FYI: Don't do that on Steam... You do not get a second copy of the game...).

Moderator Action: Thread moved to MP.

I don't believe you get to see them in multiplayer games, only singleplayer, which is especially annoying with ruines as you sometimes need to guess what they gave you.

It worked in multiplayer games up until 2 days ago for us.

The whole notification feature in the game is.... questionable..

In singleplayer, after several notifications the noises that they emit stop (the big thud when someone builts a wonder). In hotseat, half of what I would deem important notifications NEVER show up, they still haven't fixed the "X has been conquered" notification (it mysteriously disappeared ages ago), BNW seems to have removed teh "Genghis Khan has attacked City State" (not the war notification, but the cs specific notification (I think it goes along the lines of City State has been attacked by Civilization)...

They REALLY need to fix these small issues, they are annoying.

So, my buddy and I started up a new multiplayer game yesterday (3, as a matter of fact...) and in them, we didn't get any popup windows (No "You've met Caesar!", or "The Ruins give you stuffs!"). There aren't any options in the multiplayer window to enable them, and they worked 2 days ago when we started our last couple games.
Is there something I missed? A new patch?
The only difference between then and now is that I bought the Gold Edition so I could get the extra civs and maps (FYI: Don't do that on Steam... You do not get a second copy of the game...).

I don't know what game you were playing 2 days ago, but almost all pop-up notifications have always been missing from MP. Nothing was removed; they've been disabled since the release of Vanilla just like MP AI diplomacy.

Yeah, I've never had MP popups either! So consider yourself lucky that you had them for so long. Oh wait, are you talking about hotseat? I'm talking about Internet MP.

I'm talking about internet MP, I've always had pop up notifications... Clearing ruins, entering a new age, having someone declare war on you. They've worked in Vanilla, G&K, and BNW until just now. The only thing I didn't get were the adviser popups, but I usually ignored them anyway.

The more you talk about this, the funnier it gets.

I've always been so frustrated that I don't get ruin popups! A lot of time I have no idea what I just got from a ruin, LOL.

So maybe there is a setting we all don't know about and should go look for. I'm on the US version of the game, btw.

Edit: I'm also always the HOST

I'm talking about internet MP, I've always had pop up notifications... Clearing ruins, entering a new age, having someone declare war on you. They've worked in Vanilla, G&K, and BNW until just now. The only thing I didn't get were the adviser popups, but I usually ignored them anyway.
Maybe you were playing through GMR? That is effectively a hotseat game.
Because I'm quite sure multiplayer doesn't have popups, I have never seen it at myself or at any of my friends computers, etc.

Or maybe you're talking about notifications, the round symbols on the right hand side?

Maybe you were playing through GMR? That is effectively a hotseat game.
Because I'm quite sure multiplayer doesn't have popups, I have never seen it at myself or at any of my friends computers, etc.

Or maybe you're talking about notifications, the round symbols on the right hand side?

No, it's definitely not GMR. I'm always hosting a game with one other friend, we've been playing since vanilla Civ 4.

The notifications work fine. I have no idea why it worked for both of us, but hasn't for anyone else... Unless... Maybe we had a mod that enabled them, that got disabled, and we had forgotten about it... That's the only thing that makes logical sense in this situation...

The notifications work fine. I have no idea why it worked for both of us, but hasn't for anyone else... Unless... Maybe we had a mod that enabled them, that got disabled, and we had forgotten about it... That's the only thing that makes logical sense in this situation...

That doesn't make sense either as mods are disabled in MP. Unless, of course, you were doing GMR which can work with mods, but that's effectively hotseat and not MP.

MP never had notifications, I'm sorry.

This link: http://www.civpedia.com/civ5/options has this to say:

No Reward Popups: Click this to disable reward popups — for technology, ancient ruins, and so forth. Experienced players involved in a hot multiplayer game often choose this option.

I tried changing the option in a multiplayer game I'm playing right now, but it didn't work... But I swear to you, up until the beginning of this week, I had popup notifications playing normal Internet multiplayer... I refuse to believe that my friend and I (that I always play with) have a shared delusion that happened to end at the same time...

This link: http://www.civpedia.com/civ5/options has this to say:

No Reward Popups: Click this to disable reward popups — for technology, ancient ruins, and so forth. Experienced players involved in a hot multiplayer game often choose this option.

I tried changing the option in a multiplayer game I'm playing right now, but it didn't work... But I swear to you, up until the beginning of this week, I had popup notifications playing normal Internet multiplayer... I refuse to believe that my friend and I (that I always play with) have a shared delusion that happened to end at the same time...

That option only works in hotseat mode. I'm convinced you've been using GMR and thus playing online hotseat.

That option only works in hotseat mode. I'm convinced you've been using GMR and thus playing online hotseat.

I realized that wasn't for multiplayer after i posted it, but forgot to remove it.
You can be convinced all you want, but I know for a fact it wasn't GMR, I just have no way to prove it.

My droid does Tapatalk...

Top Bottom