Is Egypt so overpowered in multiplayer that it should be banned? (gods&kings)

EnslavedTuna

Chieftain
Me and my friends have recently picked up civilization 5 and been playing alot of the multiplayer. After looking up on civilizations i decided to practice with egypt and focus on wonders and culture. I've been doing really well by choosing the right policies and managing the citizens myself. In fact it has been going so well that it has become an issue.

During one of the games one of my friends complained i was using a cheap civilazation that was way overpowered. Then when he was watching random youtube videos of civ games to learn he came across video where a guy mentioned egypt was overpowered. He told this to the other friends and now they won't play with me unless basically admit egypt is cheap and overpowered and don't play it anymore.

I've been searching for other sources confirming that egypt is indeed overpowered and had no luck finding ANYTHING. Sadly they do not understand that the burden of proof should be on them and not me and unless i somehow "prove" that egypt is not overpowered i can't play my favorite civ.

This takes me back the the original question (thread title): Is egypt indeed overpowered and should i just learn another civ? or was i just doing well by playing it right?

P.S with "doing well" i don't mean winning neccesarily, i was just constantly getting wonders before they did which really annoyed them.

Egypt is far from overpowered. And extra 20% production towards wonders in meaningless.

In Civ IV, Industrious leaders got a 50% production boost towards wonders, Egypt gets less than half of that in Civ IV.

Also in multiplayer, the Burial Tomb's negative gives every other player a strong reason to want to conquer Egypt.

Egypt's cities are the most enticing to conquer of any civilization in the game as they are full of wonders and burial tombs, and they have nothing that directly helps them defend themselves.

If you have BNW, you can play France instead as they also have a big focus on culture victory and a wonder-filled capital.

Clearly this is a case of noobs playing even noobier noobs.

Egypt is not only not overpowered, but are not one of the best civs by any means.

Your friends need to learn that building military to conquer your wonderspamming self isn't hard.

Why so mean?

I think with every civ, it all depends on your complete strategy and how lucky your spawn is. if you get egypt with marble and a couple stone sites than it possible to snatch up nearly ever world wonder. Especially if you combo it with tradition and the bonus to classical wonders in religious perk.

All those pyramids wont really help you vs my legions.

That is what people is trying to say, that wonders are nice to have, but in the grand scheme of things, useless. In multiplayer, I usually wait till people have a couple good wonder before attacking them.

You claim you can build most world wonder? Good, more for me then!

I'm sorry your friends have turned into an ignorant mob, lol. (No offense, everyone is part of an ignorant mob at certain points in their lives)

So my advice: Forget about Egypt

1) It's not that great; you aren't missing out on anything

2) Your friends will think you're a good person for caring more about the group than what you want to do

Who cares if they're all wrong

Why so mean?

I think with every civ, it all depends on your complete strategy and how lucky your spawn is. if you get egypt with marble and a couple stone sites than it possible to snatch up nearly ever world wonder. Especially if you combo it with tradition and the bonus to classical wonders in religious perk.

Good for single player. Terrible strategy in multiplayer because everyone else will be trying to conquer your cities.

Both Korea and Babylon are vastly better than Egypt for culture spam, both have strong defensive uniques (Walls of Babylon and Hwachas in particular), and can rip through the tech tree much faster and start building wonders sooner than anyone else.

Anyone else find it odd that in Civ people are so much less able to see a high risk opening as something to be punished?

Comparing Civ 5 and Starcraft 2.

If you just expand expand expand and don't build an army to defend, it would be econo-cheese in starcraft and should be punished for it.

Or if you just go tall build lots of wonders with no army, compare it to teching really fast to battlecruisers, if i let you get away with it, my terrible units will be destroyed. You should be punished for it.
Especially if you play egypt^^

TL;DR

If you play Songhai vs Egypt, don't lose at Egypt's game, go profit on his tears.

The only banned civs ive seen so far in MP are Arabia, Mongolia and China. Never heard of someone banning Egypt. More like Egypt makes you the universal target... "Oh look! Free wonders!"

And even then most people don't ban Arabia, Mongolia, or China which a good player can deal with as there are counters to them too

In NQ the only time people will ever truly agree to an immediate re-roll is if someone rolled Spain and found decent/OP wonders at the very start as any good player can manage a 2-3 front war even with Spain in MP

And even then most people don't ban Arabia, Mongolia, or China which a good player can deal with as there are counters to them too

In NQ the only time people will ever truly agree to an immediate re-roll is if someone rolled Spain and found decent/OP wonders at the very start as any good player can manage a 2-3 front war even with Spain in MP

I would like to hear your strategies for dealing with Arabia/Mongolia/China/England then considering rushing them before medieval era hits will destroy your economy/science due to the way trade routes work.

It depends. In MP England and China are the largest threats of the 4, but depending on a hilly mountain territory and a decent coastline you could hold off a player while slowly retreating until you get to frigates.

With Arabia/Mongolia its a similar situation - You need good defensive terrain to be able to hold out on a direct confrontation.
-------

And other humans understand the threat these 4 civs can offer. The way trade routes work, you can send them off to civs who aren't the following. Its ok to be at negative gold per turn, the new bullying tooltip means you can see how many units you need near a city state to extract cash and pillaging tiles is great. You can still effectively field Composite Bowmen armies in BNW without an issue by just managing gold tiles, roads, routes, tributes, etc. in the early game

If you are unable to take one of these civs head on directly or unable to rush early, the great wall is always a tactical solution that will even the odds. Alternatively during the biggest threat eras of these civs, just teamup with another human. The production of 2 players ought to be enough to keep up against a single one of these players to balance the odds more.

Egypt is NOT over powered, they are not even one of the best civs. It sounds like you are just better than your friends.

The Civs which are considered overpowered are: Spain, Attila, Mongolia, Arabia(Camel), China(Chukonu), England(Longbow). I believe Babylon and Maya are also considered to be too strong science wise.

I'm sorry your friends have turned into an ignorant mob, lol. (No offense, everyone is part of an ignorant mob at certain points in their lives)

So my advice: Forget about Egypt

1) It's not that great; you aren't missing out on anything

2) Your friends will think you're a good person for caring more about the group than what you want to do

Who cares if they're all wrong

This is the answer!

Top Bottom