Iron Orb event

Pike the Hands

Chieftain
I'm quite sure, for reasons I will explain shortly, that we've all gotten this event. If you buy the orb, you can choose to add +2 beakers to your library or destroy it for a free tech. It's nice.

Here's the thing, though- its event weight is set to -1. Meaning it will always happen as soon as possible; namely, as soon as you build your first library. Having an event that always triggers given a specific circumstance with such a big possible reward is almost an exploit.

My favorite thing to do so far is wait to complete my library until I have Bronze Working and Archery and use the orb event to get Bowyers for free. Bowyers is an incredibly expensive tech that early in the game, and getting it allows you to spam longbowmen and kill everyone. They can even use bronze weapons! This is even more effective if you're playing the Amurites (or the Elohim with an Amurite city under your control.) A swarm of firebows when your enemies are still relying on archers and axemen is deadly. There might be even better tech catapults available, I haven't messed with this too much yet.

But wait, there's more! If you have a Library in the city with the Mercurian Gate, you immediately get the event again if you switch to Basium. This late in the game, this means you can easily pick up, say, Righteousness instantly and get Sphener in with his angelic brethren almost right from the starting gate.

In the scenarios this event is even more ridiculous, esp. the ones that give you a large number of starting techs (and thus a wider range of expensive techs to select from for free.)

Yeah, this event is just too strong for something that always happens. You can gather mana, and hammers just to get the same effect that costs like 80ish gold.

And of course the AI has no idea how to use the event. After I realized it happens whenever you build a library, it now is an integral part of my early game strategies.

For reference we also talked about it here.

Longbowmen cost 120 :hammers: so if you can spam them, you really don't need this event to win, you just could have build twice as many axemen. You can't even upgrade your highly promoted axemen to longbowmen.

Very nice strategy though, especially for Amurites :goodjob:

It wasn't supposed to be -1 weight. It was -1 so I could test it and I forgot to set it back. The next patch will make it weighting 400 like the others.

ahh that is good to know :)
It's a cool event (even if the choices aren't balanced) but with it happening every game, people were designing slingshots around it - and that shouldn't happen with 'random' events :)

Ah, good. To be honest I'd been playing a lot of Clan and Doviello games lately just to remove the temptation. As fun as it is to find exploits, it's good that they do get fixed.

It wasn't supposed to be -1 weight. It was -1 so I could test it and I forgot to set it back. The next patch will make it weighting 400 like the others.

Just as I discover this... oh well, i guess i can still steamroll everyone with my ridiculous iron golems this game!
Also, does 400 weight mean there is a .25% chance per turn of it happening?

Just as I discover this... oh well, i guess i can still steamroll everyone with my ridiculous iron golems this game!
Also, does 400 weight mean there is a .25% chance per turn of it happening?

Not really, events dont have their probability set per event, but as a whole. Its complex. The short answer is that it makes it as uncommon as most of the other events.

In a modded Lord of the Balors scenario of my modded patch r version I had planned a strategy around this event and was very upset to find that I did not get the tech when I chose the proper option. An Overcouncil vote poped up right after I selected to destroy the orb, and it never let me choose a tech.

yah, i got a random event of some sort after i id mine too, so i just reloaded a few turns ack, built the lib a turn earlier to change the random seed, and got it fine. you could of course WB in the tech you wanted.

Top Bottom