[BtS] Dales Combat Mod!

[I'm on Bts 3.13, and your fantastic mod seems to refuse to run. It's well in the /Bts/mods, yet it doesn't begin to run. "Excuse Windows for the mistake, send an error message.."

Check if you have anything in CustomAssets, and move temporarily to test it. Also check that a DLL file exists at ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\DalesCombatMod\Assets\ ]

I don't find anything in Custom Assets. And (excuse my ignorance) what is the look of a "DLL" what I have to find or not at : Beyond the Sword\Mods\DalesCombatMod\Assets\

Thanks again.

There is another reason, but I don't want to go into it here.

I assume you are referring to Opportunity fire. Opportunity fire is a free shot that you can take against enemy unit(s) that move into range and the line of sight of your weapons. It can be a single potshot :sniper:or a barrage attack. :ar15:

Examples:

Barrage Attack: In an early battle in the movie Troy, when the Greeks had moved their attacking forces to within range of the Trojan archers, the Trojans let loose a barrage a of arrows that killed multiple units. The archery barrage attack was so effective, the Greeks were forced to withdraw their forces out of range of the Trojan bowman.

Potshot: In the same movie, when Achilles came within range, an archer wanted to take an easy potshot from a safe distance behind the Trojan's unpenetratable walls. The order to fire was not given. However, if the firing order had been given, then Achilles would have been easy prey for the bowman to pick off.

So yes, I agree that Opportunity Fire, which is already included in your mod, presents "another reason" why archery barrage should be added to the mod. ;)

Final Point: Archery Barrage should be a component that you can turn on or off, to give everyone the choice of whether or not to use the option (just like your other cool features).

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Hi.

I wanted to use parts of DCM and implement them in the German Community Civ V [CCV]. But I'm missing the promised source code. Did I made a mistake?

Battle Effects, Civ Changer, Range Bombardment und Air Missions should be implemented.

Thanks.

Hi.

I wanted to use parts of DCM and implement them in the German Community Civ V [CCV]. But I'm missing the promised source code. Did I made a mistake?

Battle Effects, Civ Changer, Range Bombardment und Air Missions should be implemented.

Thanks.

I also noticed the source code was missing. Dale said, "Cuz CASA is still in beta, I didn't want to release the source yet. If there's a particular reason why the source is needed I can upload it, but the speed I'm pumping stuff out at the moment you might as well wait the couple of days till its finished." Based upon what Dale said, I'm sure he will publish it soon.

V/R,

so does this work with added units?

Yes, but make sure to add the new bombard tag iDCMBombRange to any bombard capable units. :)

[I'm on Bts 3.13, and your fantastic mod seems to refuse to run. It's well in the /Bts/mods, yet it doesn't begin to run. "Excuse Windows for the mistake, send an error message.."

Check if you have anything in CustomAssets, and move temporarily to test it. Also check that a DLL file exists at ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\DalesCombatMod\Assets\ ]

I don't find anything in Custom Assets. And (excuse my ignorance) what is the look of a "DLL" what I have to find or not at : Beyond the Sword\Mods\DalesCombatMod\Assets\

Thanks again.

Hi Mike,

There should be a couple of folders, and a file called CvGameCoreDLL.dll in the Assets folder.

When you try to run the mod, do you get any errors?

Just curious, what exactly does ranged bombardment do? Is this a Civ III-style use of artillery?

It allows artillery to bombard adjacent plots.

It's similar to Final Frontiers bombarding, except that in my mod its all based on bombard attributes (bomb rate and bomb strength) where in FF it's all based on air strength.

Hi.

Thanks.

Yes, code will be available in a few days. :)

I assume you are referring to Opportunity fire. Opportunity fire is a free shot that you can take against enemy unit(s) that move into range and the line of sight of your weapons. It can be a single potshot :sniper:or a barrage attack. :ar15:

Examples:

Barrage Attack: In an early battle in the movie Troy, when the Greeks had moved their attacking forces to within range of the Trojan archers, the Trojans let loose a barrage a of arrows that killed multiple units. The archery barrage attack was so effective, the Greeks were forced to withdraw their forces out of range of the Trojan bowman.

Potshot: In the same movie, when Achilles came within range, an archer wanted to take an easy potshot from a safe distance behind the Trojan's unpenetratable walls. The order to fire was not given. However, if the firing order had been given, then Achilles would have been easy prey for the bowman to pick off.

So yes, I agree that Opportunity Fire, which is already included in your mod, presents "another reason" why archery barrage should be added to the mod. ;)

Final Point: Archery Barrage should be a component that you can turn on or off, to give everyone the choice of whether or not to use the option (just like your other cool features).

Very Respectfully,

No, I didn't mean Opp Fire (I've added my own version of that anyways), I was talking about the actual coding. It could be better in my opinion.

For example, it never tells you WHY you cannot barrage, even though you can select the mission and click on a unit. It just doesn't do anything.

I've a list of stuff about the component, but I can see that the idea is sound. How about I implement it, but I implement it my way (coded mission instead of python mission)?

No, I didn't mean Opp Fire (I've added my own version of that anyways), I was talking about the actual coding. It could be better in my opinion.

For example, it never tells you WHY you cannot barrage, even though you can select the mission and click on a unit. It just doesn't do anything.

I've a list of stuff about the component, but I can see that the idea is sound. How about I implement it, but I implement it my way (coded mission instead of python mission)?

I agree. There were times in play testing where archery barrage attacked three units on 3 different plots all at the same time. That's the only part I thought was unrealistic. I'd love to see your coded mission version.

V/R,

It allows artillery to bombard adjacent plots.

It's similar to Final Frontiers bombarding, except that in my mod its all based on bombard attributes (bomb rate and bomb strength) where in FF it's all based on air strength.

Can the artly still attack for collateral damage per the usual rules?

And does bombarding eat up their movement?

Can the artly still attack for collateral damage per the usual rules?

And does bombarding eat up their movement?

Yes, coll damage occurs (I literally call the same function collateralCombat(..)).

Bombarding uses 1 movement point, and is classed as an attack for purposes of combat (so you can either bombard or attack, not both in one turn).

Top Bottom