Kill it with fire!! (top 5 DOW on sight civs)

China: Every time I play on an Earth map with China, she always, and I mean ALWAYS gets a ridiculous tech lead and beats me to the science victory.

Venice... I either take them out early or give up on a diplomatic victory. it's just not worth it to invest the time/gold in befriending a city state when they're just going to get puppeted by Venice.

Russia is my arch enemy. It's personal with that *****. When I first started playing CiV I selected random AI civs and she was in every single game. Not a great opponent to have around when you are learning the ropes. 480 hours in and I can't remember a game where she hasn't been present. I lost my first King game to her in a very close science victory. I was furious.

I've lost to Catherine, watched helplessly as she became the biggest runaway ever known to man, been backstabbed by her numerous times, had to endure her ridiculing and ICS in almost every game.

Last game (huge earth map, emperor, G&K, domination-only) she was on a different continent and was the laughing stock of the game much to my delight. Her Chinese neighbour took Moscow for me. I'm hoping that I don't discover her on another continent in my current game.

Persia and Greece come in as runner-ups. They need taking out on sight. Nip them in the bud or face a game of hell.

Moderator Action: Please do not evade the autocensor. Help us keep this site family friendly
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Venice is my sworn enemy. I've never hated any civ in the game, but these guys deserve all the loathing they get. Austria is a very minor nuisance in comparison.

I also find Shoshone to be troubling. Their UA allows them to claim huge landmasses with just a few cities. If they are anywhere near, they will block your expansion and what's worse, they often pursue the tall strategy. It gives them all the benefits of the tall strategy and rich resource base granted by large territory.

Alexander is an old pain in the neck. If he is allowed to wage successful wars in early eras, his UA will allow him to keep up on the field of general development with players that did not waste resources on war, while his military expansion will yield him several great localizations and leave him safe from any straightforward competitors.

I won't necessarily hunt Elizabeth down -- if we're on opposite sides of the globe, we may even get along famously. but if she's my neighbor, I start preparing for a defensive was as soon as possible. likewise with Genghis Khan and Alexander.

Iroquois is on my list, and Japan, as well other the ones others have quoted.

Anyone land or resource grabbing UA or tendency -- so liberty policy, Russia, Shoshone, Greece, etc. If you don't slow them down, you will regret it. I love how Catherine pout when she's angry. LOL.

1. Greece
2. Mother Russia
3. Rome

+Any civs that took my desired wonders

1. Ethiopia - he's an even bigger wonder-whore than Ramesses. Plus his religion annoys me with his missionary spam. Relentless. Just seems so competitive in every game and his UA means he's damned difficult to kill.

2. Iroquois - actually not so bad now BNW is here. Before that though - I would often rage quit when I spawned near them as the game essentially became a 1 city challenge for me due to his city spamming.

3. Shaka - he's a dangerous dangerous man.

4. Egypt - similar reasons to Ethiopia (above).

5. Rome

Arabia! They seem nice and peaceful but they will usually declare war on you if you have been to a war with someone on the same continent. They also spam missionary's and prophets (also go for the religious wonders). One time I had to declare war for about 850 years just to get rid of the prophets who try to come in my borders.

Rome,Huns,Mongols are all well suited for early domination victory.Zulu is traditionally a militaristic civ so you can go against others with them early.

1. Carthage - Only one who has made a Declaration of Friendship followed up with a DoW less than 10 turns later

2. Greece - When not at war, Alexander can mostly be sighted founding cities in every crevice of the earth just to piss you off and make it even more difficult to conquer him.

3. Zulu - while most civs that have beast UU like Mongolia, France, Rome, Spain etc. have a date when they loose relevance, the Zulu do not. The Impi is the ubermensch that Nietzsche dreamed of. Cheap, fast, very powerful and the upgrades carry over to Riflemen! God help you if Mt. Kilimanjaro is next to the Zulu.

4. Huns - quality over quantity is not an issue in the Hunnic age of conquest for they have both. Without the need for horses for their Horse Archers, the Huns can have infinite cover fire for their infinite number of Battering Rams that will come knocking on your door if you start next to them.

5. Rome/France - There is something about having units that are almost as strong (if not more) than the unit from the next era that causes your neighbors to be on their toes.

1. Zulu - nothing new there, it's kill or be killed
2. Grece - same as 1
3. Ottomans - In my last games he always expands agressively and even kills a CS's much like Genghis Khan
4. The one guy who is my neighbor and has the most wonders/luxuries :D

made me :lol:

I would think that you wouldn't hate washington as much, after his initial "they covet lands you currently own" modifier he gets stomped by any neighboring AI. I have yet to see a game where he survives to the Atomic Era.

Really? For me it's a lot closer to 50/50. Half the time the bloated wad of cities that was the united states turns into nothing more than a barren wasteland of city ruins, abandoned farms and mines, and puppets of his more compotent neighbors. The other half of the time washington remains a depressing cespool of useless cities and roaming bandits all the way to the end, surviving only by his religion and outdated yet monsterous in size armies. Washington in this state is never in a possition to claim victory, but can seriously cripple a side or two from achieving theirs. As well, another thing that grinds my gears about Washington is his apearent ignorance to the phrase "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Too many times have I burned down a deserted hellhole in the middle of the desert just to see him plop down a new city in the same spot. I remember one time where I destroyed a 3 pop coastal city on my continent (not his), and LITERALLY 3 turns later the same city popped up. What. The. F***. That means that washington had to have sent this settler out several turns in advance, knowing he would lose his old city, OR that the settler was just passing by on its way to settle another god forsaken rat hole and changed course when I blew up this city, OR the city I blew up rush built a settler, ran it into neutral Babylonia to the south, and when my armies left the region he ran it back up and ressetled. I still wonder to this day which of these he did, as all are just ridiculous enough for him to try.
(P.S: I burned down that city. After a peace was declared 12 turns later? Same city founded.

Really? For me it's a lot closer to 50/50. Half the time the bloated wad of cities that was the united states turns into nothing more than a barren wasteland of city ruins, abandoned farms and mines, and puppets of his more compotent neighbors. The other half of the time washington remains a depressing cespool of useless cities and roaming bandits all the way to the end, surviving only by his religion and outdated yet monsterous in size armies. Washington in this state is never in a possition to claim victory, but can seriously cripple a side or two from achieving theirs. As well, another thing that grinds my gears about Washington is his apearent ignorance to the phrase "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Too many times have I burned down a deserted hellhole in the middle of the desert just to see him plop down a new city in the same spot. I remember one time where I destroyed a 3 pop coastal city on my continent (not his), and LITERALLY 3 turns later the same city popped up. What. The. F***. That means that washington had to have sent this settler out several turns in advance, knowing he would lose his old city, OR that the settler was just passing by on its way to settle another god forsaken rat hole and changed course when I blew up this city, OR the city I blew up rush built a settler, ran it into neutral Babylonia to the south, and when my armies left the region he ran it back up and ressetled. I still wonder to this day which of these he did, as all are just ridiculous enough for him to try.
(P.S: I burned down that city. After a peace was declared 12 turns later? Same city founded.

Since BNW, every game I've played had Washington in it. Each time he's been my most consistent ally. I get like 7-8 RAs out of him, and since he holds his own against other civs, his science and lux are always good. Love the Brave New chillaxed Georgie!

Since BNW, every game I've played had Washington in it. Each time he's been my most consistent ally. I get like 7-8 RAs out of him, and since he holds his own against other civs, his science and lux are always good. Love the Brave New chillaxed Georgie!

I've yet to get washington in my games yet (though I was him in bnw once!) and I'm glad to hear this.

Top Bottom