The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

35 minutes gameplay demo from Gamescom.

Link to video.

The writing seems a bit dodgy (Johny?). Everything else looks excellent. That is a city ! Really puts those 100-ish people settlemets from Skyrim to shame.

First game I've pre-ordered since... um, The Witcher 2 I think? Or kickstarters, I guess. Got my AMD R9 290 ready to actually be challenged by a game and hoping Amazon delivers upon it's promise to deliver the game on release day :D

EDIT:

Link to video.

I'm pretty hyped for the game, but I don't really have time (or the money for a hardware upgrade).
The PS4 version has got rave reviews so far, and it seems to be surprisingly bug free for such a huge game.
Too bad that I probably won't be able to play it for a couple of months.

Edit: Yeah, I don't really see the sense in pre-ordering games. We don't live in a age where a new release going to be sold out, and any exclusive pre-order bonus only causes me to wait for a couple of weeks or months for a price-drop or complete edition.

How big is the map? Bigger than skyrim?

I think it was supposed to be about 20% bigger than Skyrim and turned out to be even larger. More importantly, the main story seems to be very good and give you several choices how and where to progress, and the side quest are very well written and designed.

While I have vowed to not pre-order again after getting burned by Rome II this game looks pretty promising.
Rome 2 was looking iffy well before release though, this not so much.

How big is the map? Bigger than skyrim?

The map is actually a large number of very large zones that you can travel between, sort of like Dragon's Age but much much much bigger, so it's not quite as true open world. From the previews & reviews it seems like more or less all of the areas are fleshed out and meaningful and large so you don't feel restricted.

The map is actually a large number of very large zones that you can travel between, sort of like Dragon's Age but much much much bigger, so it's not quite as true open world. From the previews & reviews it seems like more or less all of the areas are fleshed out and meaningful and large so you don't feel restricted.
:( I hate that. Dont get the reasoning behind it either. Why to ruin a perfectly free huge world with horrendous separated zones? it is because technical reasons, because playability reasons, to drive the player through the storyline...?

Does it really make that much of a difference if the zones are large enough ? If I play Skyrim I don't walk from Whiterun to Solitude after I can use fast travel. They might as well be separate zones, and from a technical viewpoint the gatet cities in Skyrim are.

:( I hate that. Dont get the reasoning behind it either. Why to ruin a perfectly free huge world with horrendous separated zones? it is because technical reasons, because playability reasons, to drive the player through the storyline...?

Probably technical reasons. From what I've read the zones are enormous (way bigger than DAI), at some point you have to be able to stop and load/unload assets.

I am pretty sure there are ways to avoid loading stops. GTA 5 install takes 60 gigs! most of it being the world. I am sure all that data is not loaded at the start.

Does it really make that much of a difference if the zones are large enough ? If I play Skyrim I don't walk from Whiterun to Solitude after I can use fast travel. They might as well be separate zones, and from a technical viewpoint the gatet cities in Skyrim are.
True. When you are centered in really playing for defeating the game you use fast travel and it does not matter, but i find the idea of having a continuous virtual world right there where you can walk for hours and reach any distant point after a long travel without any "artificial" restriction somewhat relaxing, or start walking for not particular reason and get absolutely lost.

Ahhh, I remember my voyages through Morrowind forests, mountain and marshes, looking for strange ingredients for my potions, under that starry sky and with the musical background...

The map is completely useless digitally. Also stickers, that I'm not going to use. And a hardcover comic book (graphic short novel I guess?). Also a thank you note for buying the game from CD Projekt RED.

Installing from four DVDs is so slow though.

EDIT: It won't let me play it without patch 1.01 :/ Stupid GOG.com Galaxy launcher. I have a long bloody weekend but no, I have to wait until a TUESDAY to play the game. BS.

Top Bottom