Should you expand for more cities for culture victory late game?

Heart Break Kid

Warlord
I'm late in a game, and I'm wondering if it's even worth keeping 6-7 cities since I have all the social policies that would matter. Should you just produce more cities for more general production, or does it hurt winning via tourism for reason?

It hurts science, and is likely to hurt happiness (unless you can get happiness buildings up in a hurry) which will slow golden ages (Which you need for culture victory as Brazil) and can impact tourism influence depending on your idealogy choices.

Also, won't it slow your acquisition of great people?

but I guess it could make sense if you have the resources to get tourism out of those cities (overflowing with great works?)

Maybe if you are running out of places to stash great works, adding a city late in the game and building/buying museum-type buildings there could be useful. Particularly if you have already researched to hotels, etc., and it is just a matter of cranking out tourism.

If you're running out of places to stash great works you should be doing concert tours. A late game concert will generate way more tourism than another GWOM would.

What I like about this culture victory game is the flexibility. You can have 5-8 cities and still win. I won with Spain with 6 cities. I've won with India with 5 cities and flipped one more.

I usually get Cathedrals as one of my first religious beliefs. They have an art slot and are great to hold artifacts and the early artists. Then when archaeology hits the fun begins!

I think you can build more but you really have to build them up. The buildings aren't cheap maintenance and the 33% if the city has a world wonder really matters.

Btw I pick freedom. they help with specials and especially the +1 culture for every great work.

Order is no slouch for culture, either. When you're about to pick an ideology, take a look at the Demographics screen. If you're at or near the top for happiness then consider Order and just take all of the happiness tenants to push that juicy modifier on the rest of the world.

Top Bottom