I sure hope you like paying for your mods

Read the latest news post on the Nexus. I'm still concerned about the implications for the future, but to be fair, Bethesda is not one of the most evil companies in gaming, and neither is Valve. As for-profit companies, they do want to make more money, and it's really hard to fault them for that. In the past the different between those two and companies like EA has always been that they know where the line is drawn and choose not to step over it. I don't think Bethesda will stop developing DLC or patches because of this business model, and I really hope they're playing close attention to everything take place in the community and feel rather bad about it.

Hmm, cant seem to get it to work. How do you post videos on the forum?
In the Youtube url copy the bit after "watch?v=", so in your case put the code eDyXIXyAZq0 in the
Link to video.

:lol:

In other news..

Wet & Cold has been hit with an official DMCA takedown notice (first of many if this continues methinks), Steam Workshop is getting flooded with parody and protest mods, people are taking down their mods out of fear of stealing, legalities and licencing as well as SkyUI dependent mods being taken down in protest of the new paid version and people are discussing how to make their mods incompatible and game-breaking with major paid mods.

Might lead to higher quality mods in the future guys!

:twitch:?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Link to video.

:lol:

In other news..

Wet & Cold has been hit with an official DMCA takedown notice (first of many if this continues methinks), Steam Workshop is getting flooded with parody and protest mods, people are taking down their mods out of fear of stealing, legalities and licencing as well as SkyUI dependent mods being taken down in protest of the new paid version and people are discussing how to make their mods incompatible and game-breaking with major paid mods.

Might lead to higher quality mods in the future guys!

:twitch:>Link to video.

All hell breaks loose if the creator of SKSE ever decides to monetise his mod or wants part of the cake.

All hell breaks loose if the creator of SKSE ever decides to monetise his mod or wants part of the cake.

The SKSE guys have said they'd never monetize their work (well, so they say for now, who knows what'll happen in the future), and I suspect a lot of that is because they're in a very grey area - more so than any other mod - as they've essentially been hacking into the game, and Bethesda has always looked the other way.

And I think quite some hell has already broken loose anyways. It's not just the mod users, of course, but modders themselves (whether they're Siyrim modders or modder for other games such as myself) have had very, very mixed reactions to this, including one of the "celebrity" modders who was recruited into being one of the first to upload his mods as paid mods having since pulled out his work, criticized parts of the system, potentially gotten into legal trouble, and possibly have quit modding amidst the controversy.

Read the latest news post on the Nexus. I'm still concerned about the implications for the future, but to be fair, Bethesda is not one of the most evil companies in gaming, and neither is Valve. As for-profit companies, they do want to make more money, and it's really hard to fault them for that. In the past the different between those two and companies like EA has always been that they know where the line is drawn and choose not to step over it. I don't think Bethesda will stop developing DLC or patches because of this business model, and I really hope they're playing close attention to everything take place in the community and feel rather bad about it.
I wouldn't consider any gaming company "evil". Greedy, sure, but evil is a strong word to use.

The SKSE guys have said they'd never monetize their work (well, so they say for now, who knows what'll happen in the future), and I suspect a lot of that is because they're in a very grey area - more so than any other mod - as they've essentially been hacking into the game, and Bethesda has always looked the other way.

And I think quite some hell has already broken loose anyways. It's not just the mod users, of course, but modders themselves (whether they're Siyrim modders or modder for other games such as myself) have had very, very mixed reactions to this, including one of the "celebrity" modders who was recruited into being one of the first to upload his mods as paid mods having since pulled out his work, criticized parts of the system, potentially gotten into legal trouble, and possibly have quit modding amidst the controversy.

Especially considering how most major mods can't work without SKSE, it shows that Valve should back now, while it's not too late.

This protest got carted out when youtube "updated" their comments section and tried to force you to use google plus. It lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and then they relented and made it optional. As i am eternal optimist, i am hoping that valve will see sense and do the same.

Nexus are on about re designing their website to make donating more prominent. This is pretty big stuff actually. All the while i expect GOG are sat there rubbing their hands. Its stuff like this that turns people away from established companies. Not saying that will happen, but i think valve are playing with fire.

So I figured I would take a look at this change.org petition that's been floating around. My mind is boggled at the response that has been there. 90,000 (approaching 100,000) signatures in less than 48 hours? That's more impressive than almost any other petition that's gone up, except for the Death Star one I think. I'm still pissed America isn't getting a fully armed and operational space battle station. Thanks Obama.

Valve is only doing this because there really aren't a lot of alternatives for gamers. GOG's collection just isn't there. Maybe Origin?

So I figured I would take a look at this change.org petition that's been floating around. My mind is boggled at the response that has been there. 90,000 (approaching 100,000) signatures in less than 48 hours? That's more impressive than almost any other petition that's gone up, except for the Death Star one I think. I'm still pissed America isn't getting a fully armed and operational space battle station. Thanks Obama.

To the moon!

I'm not. I think if Origin started to pull ahead, Valve would be forced to, you know, stop doing what it has been doing the last few months.

There's also Gamersgate and Amazon I guess, but aren't those mostly Steamkey sales?

Then again, we could see a major third party pop up, but I don't know from which company.

There's also Gamersgate and Amazon I guess, but aren't those mostly Steamkey sales?

Depends on the game. Some of them are on steam because they're steam exclusives (EUIV, CKII, etc), others are on origin because they're origin exclusives (SC2013, etc.), others are just good old downloads.

Why was Wet & Cold hit with a DMCA? They did make an effort to strip out the stuff that hadn't been granted for profit (snowshoes etc.), although they originally claimed it was for "optimisation".

Oh goody that spam has gotten even dumber, people were already complaining/crying about getting one week forum bans on Steam for copy paste spamming an ASCII middle finger image. Valve's moderators have their work cut out for them even more so than usual. Oh well, their accounts, just more pressure for Valve.

Why was Wet & Cold hit with a DMCA? They did make an effort to strip out the stuff that hadn't been granted for profit (snowshoes etc.), although they originally claimed it was for "optimisation".

I don't know anything about the specifics, but I don't find it implausible that there were a few (or many) things here and there Wet&Cold's creator(s) missed. People don't realize how interconnected mods are and how people use things from each other, even in the littlest ways. Like I've said, there's just so much complexity and room for interpretation here.

The biggest issue is what happens with very large TC type mods with components from a wide variety of sources. I can't think of anything from Skyrim off the top of my head but say it becomes standard policy for all workshop games like EU4. Than lets say something popular M&T becomes a pay for mod. It contains parts from a ton off different sources and suddenly we have a copyright hell problem where other modpacks with those parts could get taken down like VeF or the owners of the mod components themselves kill the big mods. This is a can of worms that will make all parties less trusting of each other in modding communities

Gigau is not planning to make M&T a pay-mod, as far as I know (even if he could).

Some of those tacky weapons included in the Debut pack appear to have been based on weapons appearing in Blizzard games, hence they carry the banal line "allowed by Valve". Even if that were true, how on earth could Valve allow such a thing?

Sharing happens in virtually any healthy modding community, really. Just as an example, I've just looked up a list of credits for an old version of my CKII mod VIET, right before it was integrated into the HIP confederation, and if I were to charge for it, I'd also have to consider at least thirty eight other parties who should receive some share of the profit. And I say parties, because some of these aren't just individuals, but teams of individuals, which means each party could be two or five or twenty people alone. And that's not counting if said other parties took stuff from other modders, potentially making the number of parties involve increase exponentially. And not to mention some of these parties I took stuff from on an unofficial basis - ie they supplied a bit of code to me out of goodwill, or it was unreleased stuff, etc.

And this is for a version that came out more than a year and a half ago. In that time, more people would've undoubted been added to that list, and a few would've been taken out.

Oh, and to top it off, since Ordep was my official partner, we'd have to split VIET's share evenly in half if I wanted to be fair.

I don't know how Skyrim modding works, but I'm sure there would be similarities.

The biggest issue is what happens with very large TC type mods with components from a wide variety of sources. I can't think of anything from Skyrim off the top of my head but say it becomes standard policy for all workshop games like EU4. Than lets say something popular M&T becomes a pay for mod. It contains parts from a ton off different sources and suddenly we have a copyright hell problem where other modpacks with those parts could get taken down like VeF or the owners of the mod components themselves kill the big mods. This is a can of worms that will make all parties less trusting of each other in modding communities

Skyrim has a number of large overhaul mods comparable to M&T for EUIV (or CKII+ and HIP for CKII), and though I don't really care about them, I'm certain they contain quite a bit of work taken from others. I feel like overhauls aren't as popular in Skyrim as they are in PI's grand strategy games, though; but there are still plenty of other large-sized and mid-sized and probably even small mods that use a lot of assets taken from other modders.

Gigau is not planning to make M&T a pay-mod, as far as I know (even if he could).

Some of those tacky weapons included in the Debut pack appear to have been based on weapons appearing in Blizzard games, hence they carry the banal line "allowed by Valve". Even if that were true, how on earth could Valve allow such a thing?

Top Bottom