Fallout 4

Wow, haven't seen anyone else who enjoyed the game as much as me. But maybe because I grew up in the area Fallout: New Vegas takes place in is one reason I love it so much. I even went to 1st grade in Goodsprings Elementary school in real life. Just the other day driving back from vacation along the Colorado river, that got me in the mood for Fallout: New Vegas.

I love that game. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, I'm hoping they learned a thing or two about how to design characters, quests, and story from Obsidian. But I know it won't be as good as NV. Bethesda characters just seem hollow, and I don't care about them. Where I did care about Cass and her whiskey drinking ways. But honestly I don't remember one character I cared about in Skyrim. I'm not sure why they can't create good characters. I enjoyed all the characters in NV except maybe ED-E. I only wish they had more dialogue and quests associated with them. Even Dog from the dlc was a pretty good character. And Arcade, Raul, even Lily beats anything Bethesda can do.

Yeah New Vegas is nearly perfect for me. I love the setting, the exploration, the combat, the stories (and the numerous choices / pathways), the character development and itemization. Steam achievements =D

The last TES game I liked was morrowind - everything since has been bleh. Skyrim wasn't bad, but it didn't keep me around long enough to finish. I finished NV multiple times.

Perhaps I'm just playing New Vegas wrong, but I never really cared about any of the companions. Either it was unclear how to get them (Cass), or in out-of-the-way locations I wasn't going anywhere near until I got my anti-mat rifle (Raul) I never managed to recruit any of them until I had already walked around most of the map with Boone/Veronica and didn't feel like hunting down online what locations I had to visit to make the scripts trigger.
(Also, playing Pillars of Eternity has indicated to me Obsidian struggles to make characters that aren't wangsty wierdos who if I was actually a person in-game would want nowhere near my character.)
Am I playing New Vegas wrong, or what?

Either it was unclear how to get them (Cass), or in out-of-the-way locations I wasn't going anywhere near until I got my anti-mat rifle (Raul)

Hah! That reminds me of when I finished New Vegas the first time. They had this slide show of pictures with a comment on each of them. Eventually a ghoul appears with the voiceover saying something like "Raul never got closure..." in a dramatic tone. My reaction was "... who?". I'd never seen that guy, but thanks for the info.

I think this track captures Fallout`s essence the most:
https://youtu.be/vGyB093QOIo?t=6m19s

I mean, i hope they do not set F4 at New York, London, Australia or who knows where trying to be original. It must be located at some desertic region in western USA.

Someone told me that E3 will feature a long, non-playable demo. I also read that F4 will not be playable on older game consoles. I don't think the PC requirements have been announced yet. Hopefully it won't be too obscene.

I mean, i hope they do not set F4 at New York, London, Australia or who knows where trying to be original. It must be located at some desertic region in western USA.
:lol: Too late.

Hey, i played F3 too, and while i liked the game, it felt a bit out of place.

So I'm actually watching the stream... waiting... waiting...

Man when TES VI is announced in the far future I'm gonna lose all ability to function normally in life, if this is any indication.

21 by my count.

Fallout 4 November 10, 2015. Crafting and base looks very hype.

So thoughts after watching the stream:

• I might be able to buy this during the steam holiday sale!
  • Kind of torn about the PC being voiced, I feel like it kind of doesn't exactly fit with a Bethesda game, though it fits Fallout better than TES with a more pre-set PC in the former compared to the latter. I do hope there's a bigger variety of voices but it's probably unlikely. Also, the dialogue options seem closer to Oblivion than Skyrim, and not necessarily in a good way (and I say that as someone who loves Oblivion).
  • I bet you there's a 50% chance your spouse from the intro is also gonna be alive and play a role in the plot. Kinda cool that you can edit both you and your spouse's look.
  • Graphics look nice of course but I think you can tell it still kind of looks like Bethesda's old engine. Rather, it just looks kind of like a better version of Skyrim's engine. I don't care too much about that but I suppose some people would.
  • Building your own settlement sounds like a totally unnecessary but cool addition and looks more flexible and interesting than Skyrim's Hearthfire. Actually the focus on customization overall is good, I think - going for what Bethesda's purported strengths in open-world and sandbox gameplay are.
  • I wonder what sort of things Bethesda fans will be disappoitned in and start flamewars over.
  • Looks like the same four races are available in character creator, so I can create my Asian PC, woot. And I can give them a hot Asian spouse too, woot.
  • I joked with Tolni a while back about Bethesda announcing a mobile Fallout game, but I guess I was right. It doesn't look bad though for a Fallout game, and given I've been playing more on my ipad ever since my health took a nosedive I guess I'll try it out just for the lulz.

I don't care for the PC being voiced, though I'm sure the writing won't be any worse than it usually is but.. eh, I'd rather my PC's voice be up to my imagination. Also I don't care about the dog, oh goody an ugly, poop brown german shepherd, yay... gimmicky at best. Hopefulyl they at least improved follower AI but I doubt it.

I wish they still kept sliders to some degree, though having face sculpting is a neat addition but like most people I'm not very good at making my own faces. IDK a mix of sliders and sculpting might have been best, but eh should still work out I hope.

Graphics look like they made a next gen version of Skyrim/Fallout with fancy lighting and slightly more detail. Still look quite dated, the dog is ugly.

Animations and combat look almost exactly the same as in Fallout 3. Has bethesda still not invested in a motion capture studio?

Building not only your own settlement but multiple ones with electrical systems, defenses, and trade route is a cool addition. Unfortunately they probably showed it's entire shallowness in this preview and it will likely be pretty lame in-game. At least modders will be able to do a lot to it and it seems like a cool idea that will work well for the game at least.

I actually liked what I saw of the weapon & armour customizations, I think they did a good job of that. Layered armour will also be neat to see.

The mobile game looks simple but decent, no pay 2 win or pay 2 skip timers is great.... but it seems to be iOS only so screw them. Being able to use your iOS or Android phones with an app that will come out with the game for your inventory/Pipboy screens is a cool idea though.

Thinking about it a little bit, my biggest reservation is that the one Asian face I saw in the demo (when they were cycling through different faces in the character creation) looked kind of weird to me. I hope their Asians are varied enough and it's not just Bethesdas engine being silly like it usually is.

Also, Tolni, as our resident Fallout fanboy, besides the obviously hype, what did you think about the actual content we saw? Gameplay and graphics and storyline and all that?

Well, gameplay doesn't seem to be that changed from previous Fallouts. VATS, SPECIAL, all those are the mainstay of Fallout are there. Interestingly, there's a Crit Bar, or maybe it was just showing that you scored a Crit. Better control of VATS is good, hopefully it bugs out much less than in NV/3.

Graphics is meh for me. I play NV/3 in maximum potato graphics and I honestly didn't really care. Although, UI has changed. For the better or for the worse, I dunno. Maybe Bethesda should however stop plopping the bloody compass in the middle of the screen. Just do it like in FO3/NV.

Storyline is...unknown. You're the Survivor of the Cryo Vault and the Great War. Your wife and kid die. And..That's about it.

Beyond that? HYPE.

Are you even able of sensing joy

No, which is why I have spent many years playing video games and it's become my main hobby and why I own over 4-500 PC games, because i hate all of them, force myself to play games I take no joy in playing and why I wish for them to be as good as they can be instead of shallow puddles of mediocrity.
Blind dedication is a far worse fate though.

Storyline is...unknown. You're the Survivor of the Cryo Vault and the Great War. Your wife and kid die. And..That's about it.

I'm starting to think your waifu/husbando and/or kid might play a role in the plot, even if they're not alive or whatever it could just be relevant flashbacks. My line of reasoning is this: you can customize the appearance of your waifu/husbando and also indirectly your kid, ie their appearance can change; in FO3, your father's appearance also changes depending on your choices (mainly race). In FO3, the father was important for the storyline's emotional thread. Therefore, the waifu/husbando/kid might also be there as part of FO4's storyline's emotional thread as well.

Also what do you think of having a voiced protagonist with a generic Ameican accent?

They did say that you were the only survivor from the Vault, I wonder if there is something involving your wife/husband & kid or if you're the baby. Maybe they either survived for a while or tried to and you uncover what happened to them as you go along, or they died. Or survived somehow too? IDK.

Generic American accent is boring, but appropriate for the setting I guess.

Wait, so the dog actually looks as bad in-game as in the teaser trailer?
My god Bethesda; the dogs in Skyrim on low graphics looked better than that!

As far as I could tell from medium quality o the stream yes it is the exact same dog from the trailer. The rest of the game does look nice enough, seems they got rid of the green tint or at least ant tint is much less noticeable. Still it's the same engine as Skyrim "upgraded or optimized for next gen". So it's just a little bit prettier with fancy light, which I mean it will work and it will look nice but it won't be amazing.

EDIT: UGH!!! WTF BETHESDA. "Bethesda.net" service is going to be a thing, oh goody now we have to create yet another fraking account to play games. Bloody hell this is unnecessary. It had damn well better not require a client too.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/39vced/bethesda_announces_bethesdanet_a_new_center_for/

Top Bottom