Sully Seeks Sovereignity

jm4civ4

Warlord
This is my first story and first hemispheres map. WOW! These maps are nice, but are no walk in the park. Thanks for stopping by, please check out my monarch/marathon game on a small hemispheres map using BTS patch 3.13 and HOF mod 3.13. The first tab conatins the settings screen.

Spoiler :

As fate would have it the tribe of green calling themselves the Ottomans one day appeared on the coast. They looked about and saw lush forests and hills and young corn growing to the north. Even more celebration unsued when the scouts reported the sighting of golden nuggets to the south.

Spoiler :

The tribe looked to their fierce and fearless leader Suleiman and said, "Yo Sully, we are tired of wandering about. What say we get this corn to sprout?"

Having been a seafaring man from childhood, the man was eager to settle the area. He hoped to tame the coast and explore far and wide. He turned and replied, "The name is Suleiman, and if your lousy carcass wasn't needed to work the fields I'd cast you to the wolves." His face had become bright red and veins were protruding from his forehead.

A bit later, as the man regained his composure, he exclaimed with delight, "Yes, my friends, this is where we shall call home. But be wary of that western village."

Spoiler :

And Istanbul was settled.....the tribesman were stunned to discover a rich outcropping of raw marble on the eastern coast. When news of this reached Istanbul the Planning Commissoner wondered about the marble. In fact, he was quoted as having said, "I wonder what to do with all the marble?"

The villagers to the west were happy to meet the Ottomans and in exchange for protection gave the green go-abouts a bag full of gold. Less than 60 years had passed when to the south, a settlement was discovered. Led by a man named Joao, these people also fancied the color green.

Spoiler :

Back home in Istanbul, Sully contemplated Joao's presence. He was happy that green would be so apparent, but worried about all the Portuguese activity. He didn't want to see Joao lay claim to the soil that was righfully Ottoman. Thus it was decided to take the Ports by force......

:D please stay tuned :lol:

"Sully Seeks..." cont.'d

The Ottomans toiled hard on the soil and just as their scholars learned how to work bronze they were blessed with the discovery of copper ore near Istanbul. Sully smiled wide and quickly dispatched a large force of axemen to the south. Joao's skinny archers cringed in horror as the bloodbath began....but they had no hope. The Portuguese cities of Oporto and Lisben were quickly siezed and claimed as Ottoman. Sully was delighted to find that Lisben was the site of orgin of Buddhism, which had always been the Ottoman tradition....Joao was never heard from again......

Spoiler :

Much exploration and building occured in the following centuries. In 1420 BC Sully set to the task of building many libraries, and with all the marble laying around he thought that one library should be really great and shiny.

The fishermen of Oporto cursed when their nets failed to reach a large school of fish south of the city, "...if only we'd placed this city, those blasted Portugese must've had a druken scout!" But this didn't stop the Planning Commissoner from sending his shiny marble there to build the Oracle.

Sully, "Hey Commish, hands off my marble, I need it to make a really great and shiny library."

Commish, "Don't sweat it Sully, there's plenty of marble laying around. Besides the Oracle will also be really great and shiny."

Sully, "It'd better...or that'll be it for you Commish."

Commish, "Yes, my liege."

Sully's love of rivers directed settlement of Edirne far to the east. And when the Oracle was erected, a strange superstition called Confucianism sprung up there. This must have inspired the Edrinians because they went about chopping all the trees in site. And even though the Ottomans had no stone quarry, the Edirnians stunned the world in 440 BC by erecting the Pyramids. From that point forward Sully dictated that the lands be farmed to capacity to support numerous scientists in the many libraries. The Ottomans were very happy about this new approach to governance and over the years discovered highly advanced concepts.

Around the year 600BC an odd looking fellow by the name of Willem van Oranje docked his boat on the Ottoman coast. The man's boat was a strange color very unlike Sully's simple green and his people were without order. Sully shared with Willy the Ottoman Code of Laws. Willy was very grateful and in turn explained how to work iron and to hunt and sail.

Spoiler :

Willy also convinced the Ottomans to seek insipration from the creative forces within the universe and that honoring these entities might further survival of the Ottoman people. The Ottomans were thankful for Willy's insights and when they had arrived at Philosophy they again reached out to Willy. Thus time he shared the secrets of riding horses and explained that no aristocracy can survive without a steady supply of wine.

Spoiler :

As Willy prepared to leave he also explained that mortal success lay on the path of belief in a single supreme being, rather than a multitude of insecure, warring deities. The Ottomans scratched their heads at this and decided to save it for another day. Because they had more pressing matters....where to expand the empire!!

Spoiler :

By 100BC Sully had many scientists discovering many things. But to keep his empire ticking along he'd have to fill the coffers. Good news was the still-untapped gold just south of Istanbul, near an odd set of lakes next to the coast. Expanding to the north was obvious, regardless of the barbarian city of Kushans. They'd be no match for Sully's men.

Let's take a better look....

Spoiler :

One day the scout had the fun of telling his king that the barbarians had migrated south of Kushans and thrown down tents near the corn and copper. Sully told him to relax and the scout reported seafood for the taking, and the promise of a stone quarry. "Well," said Sully, "...I guess that's still important. But we must move fast it want to get there first!"

Spoiler :

Northwest of the capital were several islands that Sully wanted, and he cringed to see Willy's orange getting closer all the time. Would he have to make a move on his old friend? Best get to building boats.

Spoiler :

The southern lands were a mixed bag. It'd be decades before they could farm all that dry ground west of Edirne and there were no resources to be gained. But cities there would close to home. Hmm?

As Sully contemplated his future he accepted that he and Willy might have a parting of the ways...and wondered if the world was occupied by other, less-advanced victims...er, interesting and enlighted souls.

:confused:..to be continued.....;)

Thanks C Li!

This story gets funnier....there'll be a few more posts up to 1824, then I will be looking for advice...

Sully Seeks....Part 3

As many decades passed, Sully met explorers from the distant lands known as Khmer and Mongolia. The leaders, especially Survy of the Khmer, were pleased with Sully and many technological secrets were shared amongst the great nations.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Survy was a devout follower of the Jewish tradition and sent many missionaries throughout the world to spread the faith. In an effort to establish Judaism as the "faith of the chosen" he erected the Apostolic Palace (ca. 850 AD). At that time the only Ottoman city that had been indoctrinated in Judaism was Bursa. This was a concern because soon afterward Survy called for a vote that would give the Khmer supreme influence throughout the world, thereby bringing Sully's reign to an abrupt halt. Fortunately, Willy had enough sense (and enough votes) to prevent such a thing from happening. Maybe he and Sully could exist on either side of the coast?
Spoiler :

From that moment Sully spread Judaism thoroughout the Ottoman empire as quickly as possible. For he didn't want to lose control of his lands. The Ottoman people even converted to Judasim and the already-positive relations with the Khmer grew stonger. But Sully kept on eye on Swervy Survy, the arrogant Khmerian leader, for ever more!

More centuries passed as Sully slowly expanded the empire. The entire world was at peace, and all the tranquil quiet really ate away at Sully! He'd hoped that the other leaders would whittle away at each other so he could swoop down and clean up their remains. "Hadn't he shown the world how fun it was to send Joao running?" Perhaps Sully would have to get the ball rolling....again! So, sometime around 350BC the Ottomans kicked the smelly barbarian carcasses out of Apache. The northeastern, coastal location was an ideal site for a port in the Great Green continent.

Spoiler :

The Ottomans continued to emphasize scientific research, perhaps too much, because only two more cities were founded by 940AD. One was Bursa, northwest of the capital. Sully was very happy to have beaten the Dutch to the strategic island site. Research was strong because Sully finally had his great and shiny library set in place in the southern city of Lisbon. And for having constructed the numerous libraries the Ottomans were bestowed with a nominal reward.

By this period, the Ottoman empire was larger, and nearly as technologically advanced as the Khmer. Soon afterward, the Ottomans discovered Liberalism and Astronomy, making them the most advanced nation. This allowed Sully to trade the Ottoman secrets for cold, hard gold coins, cashing in on his scientific acheivements.

Spoiler :

Also at this period relations among the nations were still very stable and actually quite amorous. But................Sully would soon change that.

Spoiler :

He still planned on grabbing Stone Island east of Apache.

Spoiler :

But south of Stone Island was desert, on the eastern coast of Edirne, that held small hope of enriching the Ottoman cause....

Spoiler :

And the fishy waters south of Bursa did not appear profitable.....

Spoiler :

While he planned to expand ever northward, as before, Sully began to realize that his biggest long-term threat was Mongolia, to the far east. With the world's largest single landmass, Mongolia was growing at a staggering pace.

Spoiler :

To Sully's west, the Khmer and Willy were butting heads. It was highly likely that Willy would come east. Sully intended to slow him down and began building up a strong military....

Spoiler :

I like this, you don't go on too much with writing, I like how it's direct and to the point, with a slight tang of the tongue!!

Ur one liners are short and sweet!

5/5 I look forward to reading more jm4civ4!

Thank You BoxerGen!

Please bear with me as it gets deep......:lol:

Sully, Part 4

Hey folks, great to be back! We're getting closer to the point where advice will be needed...Well, that point actually came and went many, many times... as anyone can see. But, I have maintained enough patience to leave the map unplayed at 1840 AD. So, if you can trod through the next few posts we'll get to the interactive portion of the program....Please bear with me, as I reference a map that's shown at the end of the post.:D

Sully considered himself fortunate for having survived nearly 1000 years after the calendar underwent the curious switch to "AD". Even better, he was highly pleased to be in direct communication with the Universal Supreme Being (USB) via the USB Portal, referred to by the peasants as the "Mysterious Blue Screen in The Sky".

Back in the stone ages, it was USB that'd set Sully to building all those libraries and USB had allowed Sully to "vote" on world affairs. USB had most recently requested that Sully build many sailing ships and harbors. In 1005AD, after having completed the task, the Ottomans were rewarded with faster ships, which was a welcome attribute in this sea-faring world.
Spoiler :

Thus it was that the attention paid to Sully by USB made our fearless ruler confident that he was destined to rule the known world. Nonetheless, he was happy about at least some of his own decisions, such as spreading Judasim. Because 70 years later, when Swervy Survy coaxed the nations into voting a second time, the Ottomans (Ots) had a majority say.
Spoiler :

Which was a big NO! The Ots then settled Konya north of the capital, near all that sweet sugar and Diyarbakir just below Apache. The eastern part of their continent was rolling in hills, which would be useful to build the worlds' largest army, and the Ots decided to make the most of it! Next was the island city of Gaziantep north and west of Bursa. To claim the island the Ots had to first destroy a fledgling barbarian outpost. And while the history books are sketchy, it appears that this is where Sully's AD bloodlust began.

Having gotten a taste of sweet success our ever-growing-more-cocksure Ottoman leader decided to press on. And let's face it...Sully had been eyeing-up the northern barbarian cities of Kushans and Vandal for centuries. Now that he finally had the ships needed for the invasion, "What was he waiting for?!"

As it turns out, and as suspected, Wet Willy of the Dutch had settled Deventer at the extreme north of the Ottoman continent, and Sully didn't want any complications. He did his best to live with Willy's sickly orange flags fluttering about while the Ots hacked and slashed through the northern barbs. But Willy wore out his welcome when he founded a city west of the lone peak, south of Deventer. The time was ripe so Sully sounded the battle call. The tiny, young Dutch outpost was decimated before the Ots marched into Deventer and hoisted their flag of green. This was enough to force a handsome bag o'gold out of Wet Willy in exchange for peace. Afterward the Ots refered to this exchange of power as "The 12th Century Itch."

The riches of victory were sweet but over time they began to erode. To lighten his load Sully decided to cut loose the northern cities. The Ots were never so suprised as when they saw who'd been put in charge....
Spoiler :

Toku was happy to be chosen but never was willing to accept responsiblity for Deventer, as Sully had hoped. "Just as well", thought Sully, as he set about developing the northern port. But Toku's presence was welcomed for another reason. Just 5 years after the Japanese appeared, Surv the Swerve again tried his ploy for power.
Spoiler :

Again he failed and that'd he his last chance for a long, long time. So long as Toku denied the sway of Judea, the Swerve would have to find another game to play...which, eventually, he did!

Sully's war machine continued to roll out maces and trebechets as the scientists worked hard to find the elusive secret of gunpowder.

Our story pauses here around 1200 AD with Toku owning only the northern cities of Kushans and Vandal. But I have included a map of the empire at 1824AD to allow you, the patient reader, to see what the hey I've been typing about. The rest of the Japanese empire was founded much later.
Spoiler :

You might also notice that west of Bursa there are two red cities. Yes....those are Peter's! Please stay tuned to find out about his role in our unraveling tale.

Hmm, maybe that is a better title, "The Unraveling of Sully"

Sully, Part 5

We last left off at 1200AD. The 12th Century Itch had just ended and Toku had just come on stage. The following maps were snapped at 1824AD but I will use them as recount the important events of the 600 years between.

The Ottoman Empire at 1824 AD
Spoiler :

Shortly after 1200AD Sully again went after Willy, striking on the eastern ends of the Dutch empire. Sully was the first to discover Gunpowder and his newly-minted Janissaries were able to mount a powerful offensive against the Dutch melee and archer defenders. Dorestad and Leiden fell fast, as did a third Dutch city that had been situated east of Rotterdam. The captured cities were put under control of Peter of Russia.
Spoiler :

But the Dutch cultural influence proved too great for Peter's rule. Sometime later the third city returned to Willy's control and curiously, was razed. A temporary peace had been bought by Willy but the Ots continued to crank out Janissaries. After a number of decades they seized 's-Hertogenbusch and successfully fended off Willy's powerful East Indianmen. The Ots occupied the Dutch southern lands and were close to striking at Middelburg or Kampen when they came up against Willy's newly minted Infantry. Ouch! This brought the war to a grinding halt. An dlater Peter liberated Herto to the Dutch. Fool!
Spoiler :

Sometime in the middle part of the 13th Century, as the Dutch-Ottoman conflict was going poorly for Willy, the Swerve must have expected Sully to aid the Khmer's attempt to steal the Dutch city of Maastricht. Sully was to have no part of it.
Spoiler :

Although the vote failed, Sully was highly concerned to see that Survy's voting power had been increased by the construction of the Temple of Solomon. Thank USB he had Toku on his side! Sidenote: at some later date attacked Willy and captured Maaatricht anyway.

Toku's part of the world developed much better than Peter's. Sully had helped by founding a number of cities for the Japanese. And later by capturing Tsetserleg from the powerful Mongolians!! Let's see the map and have some more back story.
Spoiler :

As for Sully and the Mongolians; over the centuries Kubli had settled two cities on Sully's mainland, south of Edirne, and the nearby island of Choybalsan. And near Toku's fledgling emipre Kubli had settled the islands of Tsetserleg and Ereen. Sully was growing less fond of this guy by the decade.
Spoiler :

Sometime around 1650AD Kubli Khan declared war on Sully for his acts against Willy. Sully simply smiled wide as he exclamied, "Bring it Kubli!" The Ots quickly drove the Mongols off the mainland, razed both of their cities and founded Malatya. Then the navy geared up to take Tset. and Ereen and liberated them to Toku. Sully was especially proud of the amphibious assault of the Choybalsan island, and equally disappointed when the Mongols recaptured it, along with Ereen, in the late 1700's.

So thats's about it for the wars. Things calmed down for a while then ca. 1750 Kubli and Willy (and Survy?!) declared war on Sully. Besides the two Mongolian recaptures, all that came of these conflits was the destruction of Sully and Co.'s fishing boats. Survy didn't make a single move. By 1800 all was peaceful and the fishing boats were quickly replaced.
Spoiler :

But our fearless leader had fallen behind technologically....that's what a world war will do. Especially when it's 3 to 1.
Spoiler :

I think Kubli has Industrialism, but cannot see as I don't have Electricity.

So take a look at the Mongols! They are looking pretty scary....
Spoiler :

...compared to Sully
Spoiler :

And there's the West
Spoiler :

The Ots are 2nd in pop but need to ramp up production
Spoiler :

And foreign relations are a mess, save for Survy.
Spoiler :

I do have Sid's, but it was only at +4 food after all those fishing boats were destroyed. This will be a problem during future wars. And as an added zinger I just was given the Hostile Takeover quest for Sid's! I need crab and clam!
Spoiler :

Here are the city summary...
Spoiler :

and Civics at 1824AD
Spoiler :

We are now at the point for interaction. I have started a thread in the Strategy and Tips form called "Ottomans v. Mongolia?" to seek advice on how to proceed. Perhaps that is what I should have done in the first place. But I am still learning the mechanics of this forum, which is excellent IMHO.
But I do apologize for any confusion. I hope at some point soon I can finish this tale, and on a positive note for Sully.

Top Bottom