Quick Questions and Answers

Is it possible to mark the map? I used to always put an X on potential city locations in Civ IV. Pretty sure it was Alt-S. Thanks!

Nope. I miss that function too.

How do I get rid of the terrible plane combat animations?

You can turn off all combat animations, but without modding, you can't just eliminate the airstrike ones. Change the "QuickCombat" tag in the config.ini file from 0 to 1. The file is in your root Civ 5 install directory, typically "c:\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v"

It was an April fools I believe. Sadly. It looks like a much better diplo modle than the one in the game at the moment....

You can turn off all combat animations, but without modding, you can't just eliminate the airstrike ones. Change the "QuickCombat" tag in the config.ini file from 0 to 1. The file is in your root Civ 5 install directory, typically "c:\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v"

Thank you.

My natural play style is a tall empire. What is the basic theory behind making a successful wide empire? How big should cities grow? Do you have enough production, or to you use high gpt to buy everything? Does this only work for conquest, or does it work well for other victory conditions too?

is there a benefit for getting all 5 policies in the same social policy branch?

Yes. If you look at the initial tip for the branch, it will tell you what happens if you select that branch (eg Tradition gives +3 Culture to your Capital). Below this, it explains what bonus you get for completing all five policies within (eg Liberty grants a free Great Person of your choice).

Yes. If you look at the initial tip for the branch, it will tell you what happens if you select that branch (eg Tradition gives +3 Culture to your Capital). Below this, it explains what bonus you get for completing all five policies within (eg Liberty grants a free Great Person of your choice).

They are called "finishers". There is one for each branch.

I cant annex cities anymore. Either I have forgotten where the button is or that is a bug with the newest patch.

From memory I think the annex button should be on the city screen in the lower middle portion of the screen

What happens to savegames when a patch comes out? Will they still work after a patch? Or might certain patches change things that might break a savegame? If so, will it just not load in the first place or simply crash at a certain point?

Help, for some reason my Mod Browser has not had a shown a new mod posted since Jan 11. Any ideas of why nothing seems to be added? I uninstalled and reinstalled last night, no luck. I am running a mod that rearanges the opening menu to put mods first and lets there be more than 20 to a page (i have forgotten the name). I am guessing there is a problem with the latest patch, but cannot unistall without its name. Any help is appreciated!

What happens to savegames when a patch comes out? Will they still work after a patch? Or might certain patches change things that might break a savegame? If so, will it just not load in the first place or simply crash at a certain point?

Things should work fine, but a lot of things will be affected by patches.
For example, when the June patch made unhappiness harder to deal with, a lot of players saw their happiness plummet in games they had already started. You can always set Steam to not auto-install patches and finish your before installing.

Depends on the patch. The last couple of patches were minor, and you could just continue playing with your existing saves.
The June patch was huge, with a new resource and major surgery to happiness. You could load old saves after that patch, but you could all of a sudden be -30 happy, and have your Marble tagged as Cotton and stuff. No crashes, but old saves were incompatible with the new patch version.
Most patches don't interfere as much as that with a game in progress. Err... bit of a crosspost here. Hello ShahJahanII!

Depends on the patch. The last couple of patches were minor, and you could just continue playing with your existing saves.
The June patch was huge, with a new resource and major surgery to happiness. You could load old saves after that patch, but you could all of a sudden be -30 happy, and have your Marble tagged as Cotton and stuff. No crashes, but old saves were incompatible with the new patch version.
Most patches don't interfere as much as that with a game in progress. Err... bit of a crosspost here. Hello ShahJahanII!

Hello!
Yes, I agree.
And doubt they will have patches out soon.
It's been too long since the last DLC if you ask me...

Is there an option or a mod to allow someone to play a game where 2 civs are human controlled players on the same home computer? (I'm not yet ready for online multi-player games with others, but I'd love to try playing 2 civs myself within the same game.)

Top Bottom