Umm... :(

SovietShark

Chieftain
Well, first of all, I got the new patch and then Civ 5 wouldn't start. I had to go to the dentist anyways, so I decided to just uninstall it through steam then reinstall it.

Well, that would've been fine and dandy, if reinstalling it didn't create another problem, this time with the text keys not loading.

DX9 mode does not help at all.

Now, normally I wouldn't be so angry about something like this, but when I try to create a game and it looks like this, then obviously I can't have the most epic battle in the world play out, can I? :(

Change your language back to English and see if that helps.

No, but that could be because it doesn't redownload the English game files. Any idea where they're located?

EDIT:
Nope, deleted and redownloaded the whole thing again, it's still not working. Anybody else having this problem?

See this thread, especially post #10 for a similar problem and a solution. Does that help?

No dice, I even have a fresh install of Windows now (the December 15th security update for Windows 7 gave me bluescreens and I had no backup). I guess I'm going to try reinstalling on more time and if that doesn't work, guess its time to give up Civ.:(

Let's make sure that we're all talking about the same problem: After a recent patch, you see TXT_KEY tags in various parts of the game. If you are running any mods, disable them. Changing languages and uninstalling/reinstalling hasn't helped. I think that everyone has looked for XML files in places where they shouldn't be (Documents\My Games\Civ 5). Here's another possible solution (found on the 2K Games forum): Open Steam. Go Steam --> Settings --> Downloads + Cloud --> Download Region. Check that this setting points to an appropriate server and change it, if necessary. I think you want to choose a server that supports the appropriate language, even if that server is not in the country where you live. Please report what happens when you take this action.

Alright, I did that and it didn't work. No mods were installed since it was a fresh install of Windows, and subsequently the user directory. I'm going to try to re download the whole thing from the new server. I just found out when I set it to delete local files it wasn't deleting everything in the folder. I just went ahead and deleted the folder, so hopefully this time it will work.
EDIT: Well, it might have helped when I did the fresh reinstall. It works now! Thank you!

Top Bottom