Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

This doesn't have any to do with civ 4 but with the forum,

How do I apply my custom avatar?

Yes, biology allows you to build farms on flat land squares that have no access to fresh water and aren't a bonus food square like wheat, rice or corn. These farms give 1 extra food on top of the normal output of the tile. If the farm is somehow connected to fresh water (lake or river), either directly or through a link of farms, then it gives 2 extra food on top of the normal output of the tile. Farmed rice, wheat and rice have a special output which is also increased by 1 for irrigation and 1 for the biology bonus.

Before biology but after civil service, you can only build farms next to a river or lake or adjacent to such a farm. These farms increase the food output of the tile by 1. Before civil service, you can only build farms next to a river or a lake and they increase the food output by 1.

Only tundra connected to a lake or river, plains, graslands and floodplains can ever be irrigated.

phoenix_sprite said:
This doesn't have any to do with civ 4 but with the forum,

How do I apply my custom avatar?

you need to read the forum rules.

particularly the part that says "If you have 30 posts AND have registered for 30 days, you can give yourself a custom title and a custom non-animated avatar. The dimension limit of custom avatars is 70x70 pixels and size limit is 4 KB. You can change your title or avatar in your User CP."

then you need to read them again

or at least learn to use the search button

Why the game is showing me the number of military units the enemies have? Very boring, is there a way to stop this?

Wardog said:
Why the game is showing me the number of military units the enemies have? Very boring, is there a way to stop this?

If you click on a leader figure is Will enable/disable the viewing of all of its nation's units.

If you click on a unit type, you'll see where all of the units of that type of all the leaders that are currently selected are located on the map.

If you separate the units (button at the top of the unit list), then you can click each specific unit and see where it is located on the map.

You are probably missing a lot of the functionality of this advisor. Hope this helps.

I confess, I have not read all 100 threads here. I currently am attempting to learn Civ III. I have read a lot of bad press about Civ IV. I understand that I am asking a personal preference question. But should I stick with Civ III, or is it worth my while to pick up Civ IV. Are the graphics much better than Civ III or about the same? Civ III is my first experience with this type of game.

assuming your computer can handle it, the general consensus is you should go for civ4.

if you want to compare graphics you can check out different screenshots here

A lot of the bad press comes from people having difficulty playing the game on their computer. Check how your system compare with these, and if you think your PC can handle it, you'd probably be better off with civ4

(if you decide to stick with civ3, you should without question buy the expansion, civilization conquests)

If my 2cents are worth anything, I would also say that CivIV is the superior game.

I'm not that interested in the graphics (though they do add a nice touch), and I do have some trouble running them. But an improved AI (not perfect though), more dynamic gameplay, and more options overall, rate CivIV above the previous installments.

What is the way to get units to level 5 status???? After countless games I have only been able to build the West Point wonder once!!! Isn't that just a bit too difficult to do or am I just doing something wrong?

fisherking said:
What is the way to get units to level 5 status???? After countless games I have only been able to build the West Point wonder once!!! Isn't that just a bit too difficult to do or am I just doing something wrong?
If you are an agg civ and promote a maceman or gunpowder unit to combat III, then add heal while moving (march) at level 4, it's not very hard. Once you get march, keep a medic with it all times and use it to attack weaker units that you know it can beat.

Is there a way to rally all units of a specific type to a point, both newly created and existing? So say I want all my war elephants to rally at the enemys border and I don't want to search and drag 100 of them to it individually. Any way to do this?

Hey, this is a very basic question, but, you know, that's what this thread is for. My question regards the game's resources. How exactly do they help you? For example. Say I have a space with the Fur resource in it. When its improvement (Camp) is built, it provides +3 :commerce: and +1 :). This +3 :commerce: and +1 :) is applied to all of the cities that this resource is connected to. However, how do these ACTUALLY effect the game? When I get +3 :commerce:, does that make the city produce 3 more gold? When I get +1 :hammers:, does that make the city able to use 1 more "hammer" each turn, and therefore make units faster? Fill me in!

Thanks a lot.

-Jason

Kudos said:
Is there a way to rally all units of a specific type to a point, both newly created and existing? So say I want all my war elephants to rally at the enemys border and I don't want to search and drag 100 of them to it individually. Any way to do this?

don't quote me on this, but I think there's a 'wake all' button you can push that would wake all War Elephants on the map. There's no way to get all units of a certain type to go to a certain type. Just find any War elephant and hit wake all.

If that doesn't work you can go to the military adviser, F5, make sure the only yellow box is around yourself, and click on war elephant. It will highlight all war elephants on the minimap, and you would have to go to each site and wake/move them manually.

JaeKayLMNOP said:
Hey, this is a very basic question, but, you know, that's what this thread is for. My question regards the game's resources. How exactly do they help you? For example. Say I have a space with the Fur resource in it. When its improvement (Camp) is built, it provides +3 :commerce: and +1 :). This +3 :commerce: and +1 :) is applied to all of the cities that this resource is connected to. However, how do these ACTUALLY effect the game? When I get +3 :commerce:, does that make the city produce 3 more gold? When I get +1 :hammers:, does that make the city able to use 1 more "hammer" each turn, and therefore make units faster? Fill me in!

Thanks a lot.

the +1 :) goes to all cities. The +3 :commerce: just goes to the city working the square, same with :hammers:'s.

As for how happiness affects your cities, follow along with me on this screenshot. A city accumulates so many unhappy faces (in this case, they come mainly from the city's population (that's what the "it's too crowded" means) and from not having emancipation. A city also gets happy faces from resources and difficulty level (difficulty level affects how many "we just enjoy life" there are). Since this city has one more unhappy face than happy, 1 citizen no longer works (you see him in the bottom left hand corner, dressed in red), and your city's food, commerce, and production goes down as there is one less tile that can be worked.

JaeKayLMNOP said:

Thanks a lot.

-Jason

No, you will get +1 :) in all cities who are connected to the tile, but you will only get +3 :commerce: in the city that's working the tile (usually the nearest city).
The +3 :commerce: (which you will only recieve in only one city) will either be used to get 3 gold or be used for research (and then it will be converted to 3 beakers).
The +1 :) (which you'll get in all cities) will make your citizens happier so you'll prevent civil disorder (which will take place when the amount of unhappiness exceeds the amount of happiness). The number of :mad: faces there are minus the amount of :) faces will tell how many unhappy citizens there are. (Unhappy citizens won't work!)

So basically, I just always have to make sure there are more happy people than unhappy people, in order to prevent production from stopping, revolutions, etc...

So, I don't really have any control over what my :commerce: goes to. It may go to giving me more gold, or it make go to :science:, correct? Does the percentage of commerce that goes to gold or science correlate with the percentage slider that I control?

Also, how do :hammers: work?

What is the effect of :health: vs. :yuck: on my cities?

Basically, it seems it's very beneficial to get as many resources that I can. It seems I should make that I priority. Correct?

ybbor said:
don't quote me on this, but I think there's a 'wake all' button you can push that would wake all War Elephants on the map. There's no way to get all units of a certain type to go to a certain type. Just find any War elephant and hit wake all.
AFAIK it will wake all units on the square, regardless of type. It will not wake units on other squares.

JaeKayLMNOP said:
So basically, I just always have to make sure there are more happy people than unhappy people, in order to prevent production from stopping, revolutions, etc...
If you get more unhappiness than happiness the overflow will be "resisting" citizens, and will eat food but not work.
JaeKayLMNOP said:
So, I don't really have any control over what my :commerce: goes to. It may go to giving me more gold, or it make go to :science:, correct? Does the percentage of commerce that goes to gold or science correlate with the percentage slider that I control?
You control how much goes to gold and how much to science with the percentage "slider".
JaeKayLMNOP said:
Also, how do :hammers: work?
Each city builds up hammers into whatever it is building, until it has enough and then it builds it. What exactly do you want to know?
JaeKayLMNOP said:
What is the effect of :health: vs. :yuck: on my cities?
A bit like happiness, but when you have more unhealthiness than health you loose 1 food per turn per unhealthiness over healthiness.
JaeKayLMNOP said:
Basically, it seems it's very beneficial to get as many resources that I can. It seems I should make that I priority. Correct?
It is quite a priority, yes.since they are usually good squares to work it is generally an idea to build your cities near them anyway.

Top Bottom