Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi!

I haven't really grasped how to get a good overview over your units. Sure, the military advisor tells you how many you've produced, but I need a way to FIND them and select them. For example, naval units which I might have put on go-to to somewhere or even to sleep - some turns later (maybe a few days later), I might have forgotten where they are when I need them. How do you do this? Can I for instance cycle through Galleons only?

Clownfish said:
Hi!

I haven't really grasped how to get a good overview over your units. Sure, the military advisor tells you how many you've produced, but I need a way to FIND them and select them. For example, naval units which I might have put on go-to to somewhere or even to sleep - some turns later (maybe a few days later), I might have forgotten where they are when I need them. How do you do this? Can I for instance cycle through Galleons only?
Well not exactly, but here's something I don't think is in the manual:

If you select a unit and hold the ALT key and press either wake or stop it will wake or stop all units of that type on the map. They will therefore be easy to find when you cycle units before ending your turn.

Say you want all galleons on the map to be active. Give a selected galleon an order and then ALT while clicking stop. Any galleons executing an order will stop and be ready for new orders. Now sleep the unit (temporarily) and then ALT wake. Any units with sleep or sentry commands will now clear those and be ready.

Wake and stop are the only commands that this ALT trick works on with the addition of upgrading units. ALT clicking on an upgrade button attempts to upgrade all units on the map. It will do so until your finances are exhausted (if applicable). I think CTRL click upgrades attemtps to do the same thing, but only in that stack.

Remember you can also use the military advisor to show individual units as well.

I am now in the second Civ4 game and I found myself a War Jerk. Anyway, my question is about the religion.

Say I have 3 Cities A,B and C. I have City A found mediation the first, City B found Polythesim the first and City C found Code of Laws the first. So, 3 cities will have 3 diffirent religion?

1. If so, how could I make the whole civilization the same religion? Is there any Bad impact on my civ if different cities are having different religion? Or is there any good for the whole Civ to have the same religion?

2. Say City A now the first found meditation and then Philosophy, will City A get Taoism and Buddhism at the same time? Can I just do something to change City A to either Buddhism/Taoism?

3. My Civ suddenly generate me a free missionist. Say he/she is Judaism and I don't want it, should I just destroy it to save food? Or I should save it for later?

Thanks.

Question about money, if my sliders are set to 0%,and all that gold is in my civ's bank, is it doing anything, like growing villages to towns?
Or put another way, am I missing anything if I have zero gold per turn. Am I gaining anything if I have 400 gold per turn, (apart from getting gold).

mice said:
Question about money, if my sliders are set to 0%,and all that gold is in my civ's bank, is it doing anything, like growing villages to towns?
Or put another way, am I missing anything if I have zero gold per turn. Am I gaining anything if I have 400 gold per turn, (apart from getting gold).
No.

forums.civfanatics.com:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

bad-aries said:
I am now in the second Civ4 game and I found myself a War Jerk. Anyway, my question is about the religion.

Say I have 3 Cities A,B and C. I have City A found mediation the first, City B found Polythesim the first and City C found Code of Laws the first. So, 3 cities will have 3 diffirent religion?

1. If so, how could I make the whole civilization the same religion? Is there any Bad impact on my civ if different cities are having different religion? Or is there any good for the whole Civ to have the same religion?
There is nothing bad about a city having a religion (exeption at [1]).
It is very good through most of the game to have as many of your cities as possible wiht your state religion, as those cities get 1 extra happiness and bonues dependant on your religious civic.
The more religeons your cities have the more remples and monastries they can build, and this is often a good thing.
bad-aries said:
2. Say City A now the first found meditation and then Philosophy, will City A get Taoism and Buddhism at the same time? Can I just do something to change City A to either Buddhism/Taoism?
When you discover a tech that gives you a religion it is founded in a random city. To spread it around you have to build missonaries (or you could wait for "free" spread like the AI does, but that is very slow).
To build missonaries a city must have;
That religion
Either a monastry, or you must be in the organised religion civic (a very power civic when you are not at war).
bad-aries said:
3. My Civ suddenly generate me a free missionist. Say he/she is Judaism and I don't want it, should I just destroy it to save food? Or I should save it for later?
It does not use food. It MAY cost you money.my normal use of it is to go to a high production city that does not have too many other religions and spread religion. Then you can build a monasry if needed and get on with spreading it about.
bad-aries said:
You are welcome. Hang around, you shall learn loads.
[EDIT] Iforgot [1]
[1] the only disadvantage I can think of is that if the city has a chance of revolting to a neigbours civ, then if that city is his state religeon, and that religion is not your state religioun) then it will have a higher chance of flipping. Can anyone think of any other?

When you discover a tech that gives you a religion it is founded in a random city.
It's not fully random. It appears to be founded in the largest city with the fewest number of religions already in it.

Gherald said:
It's not fully random. It appears to be founded in the largest city with the fewest number of religions already in it.
Interesting. Do you know which comes first, ie. will it be in a big city with many religions or a smaller one with fewer? Or is it more complex yet? It would be very nice to choose which city it goes to (by keeping other religions out of your holy city and / or prioritizing food a bit more.

Samson said:
Interesting. Do you know which comes first, ie. will it be in a big city with many religions or a smaller one with fewer? Or is it more complex yet? It would be very nice to choose which city it goes to (by keeping other religions out of your holy city and / or prioritizing food a bit more.
"Large" may actually be "most cultured", I don't know which.

But I do know that number of religions already in the city is the primary consideration. If you have a pop 1 city with no religion, and all other cities have at least 1 religion, then it will be founded in the religionless city.

I sometimes stop researching Theology and Philosophy for a few turns to give my missionaries time to spread an earlier (often state) religion to an outlying city. That way a larger inner city becomes holy.... temple/monastaries are likely to be more useful there, and the missionary will be closer to my capital.

Gherald said:
"Large" may actually be "most cultured", I don't know which.

But I do know that number of religions already in the city is the primary consideration. If you have a pop 1 city with no religion, and all other cities have at least 1 religion, then it will be founded in the religionless city.

I sometimes stop researching Theology and Philosophy for a few turns to give my missionaries time to spread an earlier (often state) religion to an outlying city. That way a larger inner city becomes holy.... temple/monastaries are likely to be more useful there, and the missionary will be closer to my capital.
That is so good to know. If you are not expanding when you get a religion, it should be perfectly doable to be certain of getting 2 shrines in one city, and that is so powerfull with Wall Street (and fewer banks etc.).

I for some reason almost always get the religions founding in the city most recently built, and once I get a second city it never founds in my capital.:confused:

lost_civantares said:
I for some reason almost always get the religions founding in the city most recently built, and once I get a second city it never founds in my capital.:confused:
For so long I was half convinced it had the equasion the wrong way, and it was normally the furthest city from the capital when it should have been the closest. It makes sence, as you are less likely to have your existing religion first.

I know that if you hold shift when starting the game you clear your cache, But what does that mean??

Cheers..

When villages change to towns, is that dependent only on turns (ie. 20 turns or so), or are there other factors involved , like whether or not the city is growing ???

mice said:
When villages change to towns, is that dependent only on turns (ie. 20 turns or so), or are there other factors involved , like whether or not the city is growing ???

Only on turns, BUT you have to work that tile to make the turns decrase, and then changing into village or town or whatever.

Do savegames with 1.52 still work after the 1.61 patch?

I just tried this. Yes. :)

Although of course all of the changes made in the patch will apply to any future turns you play. (For instance, the hammer yields from chopping forests will change from the point at which you start playing 1.61.) ;)

I play 4 fun said:
How do I combine mods that people made so that I can use them for personal use?
Well if two mods share the same file(s) you'll have to manually move the code from one into the other so the file will work with both mods. Some modders specifically flag the parts they changes so it's easy to do.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to choose how many AI civs you want to play in a single player game, and if so how can you choose the civs? Or is this all determined by the map size?

Top Bottom