Civilization 5 and DLC

How will the availability of DLC affect your decision to buy Civ5?

• DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 78 30.4%
  • DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 61 23.7%
  • I will not buy the game, because of DLC.

Votes: 27 10.5%

• Total voters
They would make extra money in expansions for it would be accumulated DLC with probably major content changes.

Yep, either some people will end up paying for the civs they already bought through DLC again so they can get the content changes from the xpacs, or the content changes will be sold without new civs from now on (at the same price of course), or maybe they're switching from xpacs to pure DLC so they can exploit us for more money while ultimately providing less.

I seriously doubt many people would buy both individual DLCs and an expansion that bundled them, with maybe a little bit extra.

I should add; the one thing which still makes me think they might not get too heavily into DLC, even pay-for DLC, is that Civ has a business model of heavy sales of expansions.

It's true they've had an expansions driven model in the past. My guess is that from here with Steam and all -- they will do both, but crucially leave a little something out of both, which pressures us all to buy both for the overall satisfying experience. Basically my crystal ball ays it's gonna cost a little more and be somewhat more of a hassle. May I call this the greedy approach? This possibility is what saps my enthusiasm for CIV V. Hopefully they get it right. However, given they didn't even spell Sid's name right on the CIV V website, I'm not incredibly hopeful. :lol:

I should add; the one thing which still makes me think they might not get too heavily into DLC, even pay-for DLC, is that Civ has a business model of heavy sales of expansions.

Any large amount of for-pay DLC is likely to cannibalize revenue from expansions.

If they started creating and selling off extra civs through DLC, then they would have removed a major selling point of an expansion.

Except if the expansion was clearly better value than the individual bite-size civs people paid for and downloaded. If someone's prepared to pay up and buy civs, I find it difficult to believe they'd decide an expansion is just going too far, or that they have enough civs and don't want the expansion.
You do have a point Ahriman, but it's a pretty unlikely concern to Firaxis.

EDIT Oops I just missed about 7 posts while writing.

EDIT2 Example. 4 Civs sold for $5 each as DLC. Expansion comes along with 6 new leaders plus the 4 that were DLC, overall pack being valued at $30. DLC-buyers would likely buy that expansion.

EDIT3 And IF they released an expansion that just had leaders previously available as DLC, there's no loss anyway. They already made more money off the people who bought them separately anyway, unless the sum of the value of DLC civs is less than the price of the expansion.
(Ack, I'm accidentally using 'price' and 'value' interchangeably - forgive me ;))

I seriously doubt many people would buy both individual DLCs and an expansion that bundled them, with maybe a little bit extra.

After release, they will probably sell the Babylon civ DLC pack, but include another 'limited edition civ' with it... so even those who bought pre-order to get Babylon, will have to buy Babylon again to get the limited edition extra civ. :p

After release, they will probably sell the Babylon civ DLC pack, but include another 'limited edition civ' with it... so even those who bought pre-order to get Babylon, will have to buy Babylon again to get the limited edition extra civ. :p

I don't really know where you come up with this stuff but its extremely misleading. What's worse is that you're doing this on multiple threads.

anyone in here was able to play the 4 maps that are now available as DLC via Steam. it doesn't work in my case so i think i might have wasted my money (9.99$). so many problems so far with civ5...

Top Bottom