Diplomats Not Spreading Propoganda.

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
It seems a bit quirky to me that if you have a Diplomat "schmoozing" in a Civ with the same ideology, you get no tourism benefit.

Yet having a trade route or open border does provide a boost.

So, is there any benefit to having a diplomat when a Civ has the same ideology?

Diplomats spreading propaganda basically only serves to reduce the penalty for having different ideologies.

You can still use diplomats to see how other civs will vote in the world congress (Yea/Nay), if you share an ideology, the info will be more detailed (showing you how many delegates they will probably commit to each proposal). Having a diplomat also lets you buy their core votes (i.e. the votes they would have if they had no city state allies/no forbidden palace/no world relgion or ideology). Note that even if you buy their core votes they can still vote the other way with their extra votes.

Still trading votes is often the difference between passing and not passing a resolution so it's a powerful tool if you have something you want to pass.

Still trading votes is often the difference between passing and not passing a resolution so it's a powerful tool if you have something you want to pass.

I've gotta echo emphatic support on this point. As soon as the World Congress begins, I beeline for the next era so that I can recruit another spy, knowing that he/she will immediately be tasked with the purpose of moving from one civ to the next, schmoozing for vote trading/buying/bribery along the way. Being able to swing a handful of votes can make all the difference in controversial proposals.

It seems a bit quirky to me that if you have a Diplomat "schmoozing" in a Civ with the same ideology, you get no tourism benefit.

Yet having a trade route or open border does provide a boost.

So, is there any benefit to having a diplomat when a Civ has the same ideology?

Not tourism-wise, no, but being same ideology is more of a boost than the diplomat would provide anyway, so it more than evens out.

The tooltip is misleading, but like Sonic said it's about lessening the blow of a high-tourism AI of another ideology. Another way to think about using the vote buying - instead of trying to pay him exorbitant amounts of cash to vote on something he hates, pay him next to nothing to vote for the alternate thing he likes or feels neutral about instead. It will serve to reduce the overall "Nay's" against your proposal.

e.g.
Siam is Freedom, I am Order. We are #1, #2 in congress. I have 12 votes, he has 14.
He proposes ban luxury - furs. I propose World Ideology - Order (because I am suicidal, love denouncements, and will win in < 30 turns).
I pay him 3GPT to vote YEA on his own measure, ban luxury-furs. 20 turns later, World Ideology receives 15 YEAs and only 12 nay's because most of his votes were tied up in his special interest vote.

Top Bottom