Started next to Atilla on Deity!

kamikazees

Warlord
Okay, so I thought I'd get cocky and try the move up to diety. I normally play at Emperor/Immortal. Help?

Playing as China, spawned 11 tiles from Atilla. :wallbash: large map, small continents, low water, 9 civs/18 cs.

I get two archers, a paper maker and granary. I get construction and start working on walls and upgrading the archers. He Dows me on T45, I think, with a massive army of horse archers, swords and warriors. I finish the walls, but lose a comp, a worker and my scout fighting him off. I fight defensively for about 20 turns, killing about a dozen units.

He then forward settles 2 cities, both 4 tiles from my cap (nice job, Atilla :goodjob:). I drop a citadel next to one of the cities, which changes everything:

I'm on the offensive now. I take and burn this city, then the one next to it. Finally, with about 6 comps, 2 spears and 2 horses, I cap him. Had to pillage just about everything to stay alive:

My first ever cap on Diety! But now what do I do?

Siam has forward settled on my second city. I think the tradition bonuses (aqueduct/monument) were acquired in the 2 cities I razed from Atilla. Everyone else has been teching away and building empires while I had to fight off Atilla. Ugh.

I have a great army with a lot of upgrades. I could go attack Siam. Should I? From what you can see, do I have a VC to shoot for yet? Any glaring mistakes I need to fix now? The save from T94 is attached (just about to finish NC).

Attachments

• QuickSave.Civ5Save
    972.1 KB · Views: 54
Is it so bad that I should just give up and reroll?

Yep. Your start was average and position on map appears to be bad.
What I think, you should have started war earlier. Turn 60-70. And you should get Attila's cap around turn 90-100. Then you can get UU fast enouph to start war with siam. Now you have 2 big problems:
1. You have worse cities than standard tradition.
2. You can not start new war cause you are very far from UU.

What can you do now? Attack Siam and understand that you lost :goodjob: Or attack India together with Siam - may be there is a lot of wonders in Delphi.

Ok, well, this is turning into a stompfest, with me being under the heel of the boot. Siam has been settling cities all over. He's also been massing huge amounts of influence with sacred sites. He's already influential over me. One of his cities had so much culture it practically surrounded my 2nd city. So I built up infrastructure and some units until about T200.

He got into a fight with India, then Ethiopa, and started hating on me because I was friends with both of them. He capped India, and I Dow'd him.

Wow Diety AI has a lot of units. I had to go through about a dozen stampies with my chu-ko-gatling guns. I've finally beaten him back, though, and took and am razing his closest city:

I think I have him beat. The thing is, he went Autocracy and is already influential over me. Time for me to choose an Ideology. Two other civs have gone Order. I should probably go Autocracy, right? If so, that probably means I just need to try to kill everyone.

My other option is to go Autocracy and try for a diplo win. I'm behind in just about everything, though. The Shoshone are blasting through the tech tree. Diety is moar hard.

When I played the demo for BNW, the Soshone built pretty much ALL the wonders. I was getting pretty jealous because I usually build all of them. After that, me, the Zulu and Brazil declared war on Soshone (obviously they had no army). We got there capitol city and other city so they got destroyed. That's what you should do with them. ;)

Hard to say best victory path but if only 3 of 9 have ideologies then it is still very much in reach.

I see you have unhappiness and probably would take on some civil disob. with Order, at the outset. One thing to keep in mind about Order is that is has MASSIVE national happiness straight out of the gate. Granted, you won't get an early adopter, but soon you'll have +2 from each monuments, +1 from workshop/factory/plants, +1 from the later science buildings, +2 from each nat'l wonder... with 5 cities that should be at LEAST 25 local happiness. In the short term, can you barter for some lux, or hurry the rest of your circus/colosseum/zoo/maximus? Autocracy is a weak choice for pretty much anything other than a domination win. It wouldn't kick in fast enough to help you conquer Siam either.

One of your goals could be to propose World Ideology - Order if you go that route (assuming it's vote/proposal turn and nobody else has freedom/autocracy), which would greatly diminish Siam's influence. It looks like you have a vote right now and I see you have some CS allies, if he's the only one who has taken Autocracy, I would still take Order and lodge the proposal.

Siam is influential over you and you're at -7 unhappy, if you pick order or Freedom you might end up fighting rebels because your people want autocracy so if I were you I would check how much happy you will gain by going order vs autocracy.

From what I can see in the screenshot.. you have about 58 population points. I think rebels spawn at -10 now.

Top Bottom