FfH II Install Problems

TheRealBitter

Chieftain
I downloaded the 3 installers for FfH II and I went through the install process for all of them, and once it finishes, it only gives me the option to close the window of the installer, so I do, and nothing happens. I go into Civ4 and load a mod, and I don't see it there. My friend sent me a shortcut for it so I don't have to go into the Civ4 BtS game to load it, and the shortcut doesn't work either. I am running on Windows Vista and I have the 313 patch installed in BtS. HELP!?

Bitter.

It can be that the installer have "installed" the mod in a place that is wrong for you. The installer doesn't identify where you have your game, so if you don't have your civ4 game installed in the same place as the installer thinks (default) then it cannot find it. The mod should be in a directory mods under the directory beyond the swords and that should be under the directory called Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The shortcut has the same problem, it contains a link (check properties and see if the link(s) there are correct).

All this can be because perhaps vista doesn't uses the default when it installed civ4 (and with default I mean what is default according to the one that made the FfH installer) or perhaps you have a different version of civ4 (gold or something) that uses a different default installed location or you have installed it in a different location yourself (I don't have vista so I don't know how it works).

I for one don't have (by choice) the game installed in the default location, so I always have to change all shortcuts and installer paths.

Perhaps the easiest way is to unpack (install) it to a temp directory somewhere and then move it yourself. In the .../Beyond the Sword/mods directory you should find all the official mods (afterworld, broken stars, etc.).

So how do I fix this problem if everything is in the "wrong" directory. I have Civ4 Gold and BtS and I am running on Vista.

Bitter.

Move it to the right directory. The installer unpacks it in c:\program files\firaxis games\sid meier...\beyond...\mods and if your game is not installed there move the "Fall from Heaven 2 032" directory to the directory where your game is installed something\sid meier...\beyond...\mods.

Or when you do install FfH write c:\temp (or something similar) instead of what it said, then you know where you have the mod, then move it to whereever the game is installed in the directory where all the beyond the sword scenarios are.

If I'm not recall correctly the gold version perhaps has another install path than the "old one" or perhaps it is vista that likes to install games in another location, or you are european, many european versions of games have another install default path (usually not program files, but programs, or something similar).

Many mods that I have installed are capable of finding where I have my game, but this one fails, perhaps Kael (or whoever he is using for this service) doesn't know that there is good installers that can find the right paths.

Top Bottom