Specialized Barbarian Units

It would be easier to enable Tuner and run it alongside the game. Go to config.ini and change Tuner value to 1. When you're running both game and tuner the latter will hook up to the former, and you'll be able to watch for exceptions in the Lua console. Probably.

Also you may get the Firefox SQLite extension to check if there are any issues in updating your values to the database.

Goddamn wonky Delete function. Doesn't seem to work even remotely right if used like Kael suggests in his Modder's Guide. I was trying to remove the now-unused UNIT_BARBARIAN_(unit) types, and I had restricted the deletion to the <Units> table, so I believe that was causing the crash (I think the references in other tables, like Unit_AITypes and the like, weren't pleased).

That's fixed, but now I can't remove the default Brute (my Brute is slightly modded, using a different type name, and is obsoleted by Civil Service). There's two Brute entries on the Civilopedia, and it's cramping things, at least aesthetically.

The code on this file didn't work:

Code:
<GameData>
	<!--<Units>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR"/>
			<Set Cost="-1"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR"/>
			<Set>
				<ShowInPedia>false</ShowInPedia>
			</Set>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_ARCHER"/>
			<Set Cost="-1"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_SPEARMAN"/>
			<Set Cost="-1"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_SWORDSMAN"/>
			<Set Cost="-1"/>
		</Update>
	</Units>-->
	<Delete Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR"/>
	<Delete Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_ARCHER"/>
	<Delete Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_SPEARMAN"/>
	<Delete Type="UNIT_BARBARIAN_SWORDSMAN"/>
</GameData>
The first section is commented out because I was switching between variations of the Update function and variations of the cursed Delete one. Maybe I have to use that last one in every table UNIT_BARBARIAN_XXXX appears, focusing neither on <Units> alone nor being vague and not specifying any table, like I last tried.

I'll upload version 2 once I manage to sort this out. Comments and thoughts appreciated, as always.

The ShowInPedia change isn't being recognized, I'm guessing, since it's not a column the whole UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR row has in the first place, and I don't know how to add single columns. Therefore, the stupid default Brute insists on showing up on the Civilopedia.

The only alternative I can think of, at least until some generous soul tells me how to add the ShowInPedia column to an already-existing row, is making the modded Brute not show up on the Civilopedia, at the expense of the now sole Brute entry presenting somewhat inaccurate information (nothing terribly critical: just what it upgrades to and the lack of an obsoleting tech).

Also, by the way, I kept trying variations of the use of the Delete function, but they crash the game, so I'll leave that alone. At this point, the only thing that bugs me is the presence of the vanilla Brute in the 'pedia. I'll upload version 2 as it is tomorrow, or sooner if someone knows how to add that damn column.

Made use of some lateral thinking and just corrected the information on the unused Brute, so that its Civilopedia entry is identical to the working unit's. While the ShowInPedia update didn't work, the function was fine with changing ObsoleteTech, for some reason.

Anyway, version 2 is crash-free (as far as I know) and uploaded to the mod database now. :)

So, uh, any feedback and stuff? Is everything working correctly? Are the barbarians effectively training only the units present in the specialized tree? How balanced is the production itself?

I feel bad about quadruple-posting. :p

I like this! Thank you for the mod, it adds a lot of flavor to the game. Seeing all these names brings back fond memories of playing Oblivion, oddly enough.

Downloaded. :)

I found this nifty mod on the mod browser and it works as advertised. I haven't seen any barbarian unit other than the ones in the list. My only problem is that even with raging barbarians on, the barbarians seem tamed and unthreatening.

Great! Now I can post without feeling guilty about it. :lol:

Thanks everyone for your support. :)

Regarding future changes, there's nothing I can think of that can be done right away. I'm waiting for breakthroughs in the field of graphic modding, so I can reskin some (if not all) of the units and rescale (shrink) the Privateer and Destroyer a tad. The barbarian faction indeed has somewhat unique graphics for archers, spearmen and swordsmen (not to mention the brutes and galleys): they're essentially reskins of the default units that have more black and red in their palette.

I'm planning on following this style once we can apply custom textures to custom units. Take the Raider, for instance. It uses the Mandekalu Cavalry's 3D model, but let's be honest: yellow's so un-barbarian. However, change the coats to dark (blood) red, vests to black, horse armour to steel/silver and BAM, you get something much more lawless and somewhat Mongol, too!

Sonereal said:
My only problem is that even with raging barbarians on, the barbarians seem tamed and unthreatening.
Hmm. I haven't done anything to alter the barbarians' behaviour in particular. In fact, the units in their specialized tree are quite cheaper than those they can train in the vanilla game, so actually I was worried they'd start super-producing and overrunning every civilized nation. Not really the opposite. :dubious:

Hmm. I haven't done anything to alter the barbarians' behaviour in particular. In fact, the units in their specialized tree are quite cheaper than those they can train in the vanilla game, so actually I was worried they'd start super-producing and overrunning every civilized nation. Not really the opposite. :dubious:

They're a step-up from the default barbarians though. ;)

Really nice mod to have, along with a few other of the barbarian mods, since expansion is slower in Civ5. Going around and taking out encampments is fun and the new barbarians are far more interesting than vanilla.

Bizarre. I double-checked, and Gunboats do have Electricity as prerequisite technology, so I can't really explain what happened there. In the default rules, barbarian Destroyers have the same requirement, so I don't think I did anything wrong.

Might be some far-fetched conflict with another mod. Maybe a random event gave someone Electricity ridiculously early, and that entitled the barbarians to start building their gunboats. No clue.

A privateer was a private person or private warship authorized by a country's government by letters of marque to attack foreign shipping.

Barbarian use pirate ship.

Version 2
- Fixed a crash when loading savegames.

For me my game was working fine. Added this to my few other mods (unnoficial patch, info addict etc) and started a new game. Played around 207 turns and when I came to load a saved game it would always crash. Sometimes just before the crash I noticed that one of my Greek companion cavalry had changed into a marauder. When I tried again to load it would still just crash.

Had to remove mod from an otherwise stable game.

I haven't touched Companion Cavalry at all, nor I'm using their model for any of my barbarian units.

When you use many mods, especially those that may individually tinker with the default unit base (or the barbarian faction itself!), there's bound to be some conflicts.

A privateer was a private person or private warship authorized by a country's government by letters of marque to attack foreign shipping.

Barbarian use pirate ship.
I'm aware of that, but Pirate Ship sounds incredibly plain and flavourless. :p

Top Bottom