Portugal and the Nau

Singularitie

Chieftain
Hello long time lurker here.
After doing a game in BNW I was curious to try out Portugal. I am a big fan of naval civs so I thought they would be fun.
How good is Portugal and specifically the Nau?
Thanks

On a huge map, sending my Nau to a distant Zulu settlement of Bulawayo and selling my goods there earned me 293 gold and 22 xp per Nau.

Is there a tooltip that tells you how much gold & xp that you can get for the place that the Nau is at?

On a huge earth map I did I sent out an armada of Naus from Mesopotamia, and sold everything to Pacific America. It gace me close to 300 gold and ~25 exp for each Nau. It, in combination with the extra gold from trade routes, set me up for most of the era.

Also, in the information era you can get ~40 gold for each trade route, with Portugal, and the Feitoria can replace city-state improvements without getting them mad. I think Portugal is my new favourite civ now. :)

Yes, it is the button to sell the exotic goods, however it only shows when it's possible to sell and only for the tile the Nau is currently on.

What I did to find the best place was send my first to the other continent and scout up and down the coast, checking the tooltip every hex and remembering where the highest yield was to send all subsequent Nau.

Can the Nau cross Ocean tiles, and is it upgradeable? I know the Caravel can cross and upgrades to the Ironclad.

Yes it can cross Ocean, it is a Caravel replacement.

You can upgrade into a Nau from a Trireme, and from a Nau into an Ironclad.

Yes it can cross Ocean, it is a Caravel replacement.

You can upgrade into a Nau from a Trireme, and from a Nau into an Ironclad.

Excellent, thanks! I thought as much, but all the info I found didn't mention those things.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which tiles I can use the button on. I just got Naus for the first time and I'm eager to use them but not yet seen the availability of the button.

Also do I need to send them far away from my lands? Maybe I'm too close.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which tiles I can use the button on. I just got Naus for the first time and I'm eager to use them but not yet seen the availability of the button.

Also do I need to send them far away from my lands? Maybe I'm too close.

You need to be adjacent or inside some one else's borders (Civilization of City-State).
It is recommended you go for far away places, to get more money and XP (in my game, I've found that right next to Madrid, literally on the opposite side of the world, would give me +331:c5gold: and +25XP)
It can only be used once per Nau, so be sure to spam them (and if you are having problems with unit maintenance, just delete them or give them to a city-state)!

Also, in the information era you can get ~40 gold for each trade route, with Portugal, and the Feitoria can replace city-state improvements without getting them mad. I think Portugal is my new favourite civ now. :)
This is SO good - any Portugal player will be swimming in money beginning in the Renascence!
My first game was with Portugal, so I actually don't know how much money to expect normally! :lol:

Is it only the distance from home or also the size of the city you sell your goods at that matters for your income / XP-gain?

And when talking about distance, is it distance from your capital or the city you built it in?

You need to be adjacent or inside some one else's borders (Civilization of City-State).
It is recommended you go for far away places, to get more money and XP (in my game, I've found that right next to Madrid, literally on the opposite side of the world, would give me +331:c5gold: and +25XP)
It can only be used once per Nau, so be sure to spam them (and if you are having problems with unit maintenance, just delete them or give them to a city-state)!
I can't say I'll agree with this tactic. The Nau costs 600 :c5gold: , so if you produce it and then delete it you will get 331 :c5gold: . Og course you don't need to buy them but build them, but you've build a unit worth 600 :c5gold: . I would usually prefer a building worth 600 :c5gold: rather than getting around 300 :c5gold: (including maintaince until it is expanding). Of course if you don't know what to produce, the Nau would be preferable over turning 25% of your production into currency. However, this is also the time you definitely should consider producing units and going to war ;)

The Nau's okay. It's just a bit of gold while exploring, and an incentive to build a small navy at the time. The XP makes it a bit better at protecting your trade routes from barbs. I like it more for the flavor it adds to Portugal's maritime commerce than its actual utility.

They are neat, especially since you would want to have at least two triremes ready to head out at Astro, Nau will pay almost double for your upgrade cost. XP doesn't hurt either.

Feitorias and UAvis where Portugal shines, have your workers in place by Navi, get huge happy boost. Conquer someone without happy issues. Sell their cities while razing for even more cash :)

The naus make gold and xp only once though and the feitorias allow resources from any city state that has a feitoria in it. The only thing is getting workers to other city states that have different resources and are more far away eo that they can build feitorias in the far away city states too.

... Sell their cities while razing for even more cash :)
I fear this may be the new lump sum exploit...

Haven't tried Portugal but perhaps I will after reading this thread. The Freedom policy that gives +20 Influence per gifted unit seems to be tailor-made for Nau spam btw.
;)

Played it for the first time today and the Feltoria is amazing. At one point I had -20 happiness because I was the only one with Freedom and it didn't matter because I had all the possible luxuries in the game.

I fear this may be the new lump sum exploit...

Haven't tried Portugal but perhaps I will after reading this thread. The Freedom policy that gives +20 Influence per gifted unit seems to be tailor-made for Nau spam btw.
;)
Portugal has always been my favourite of the new civs from what I've read about BNW, and they definitely didn't disappoint me a bit.

Don't know if they would be great with this social policy. I like them as explorers of the sea, especially great for going for the World Congress while covering your maintaince expense and more.

City razing as a lump sum exploit. You've got to be kidding. Just like saying capturing all enemy cities in the game is the easiest way to win a cultural victory :)

Top Bottom