What To Expect From Emperor Difficulty

What to expect 'quantitatively' is pretty straightforward, and helpfully tabulated at the following link: difficulties thread on civfanatics

'Qualitatively', though, I have to say that the game becomes a lot less enjoyable on higher difficulty settings. That's because 'higher difficulty', in this game, is a matter not of facing smarter rivals, but of having to withstand the computer endlessly SPAMming every possible resource, and throwing them at you.

I can (barely) attain a science 'victory' on Emperor, but most of the time it's pure bloodbath against enemy hordes.

Ah, that makes more sense. I had misunderstood and thought that the poster was saying that the GL made him less effective at Emperor and below.

Actually, I did mean on emperor. This was back in vanilla, but it felt like when I started skipping the GLib, everything sort of fell into place in my opening build. Things I needed to build became available as I finished the previous thing I needed, early social policies came it right when I wanted them, the game progressed smoother. France with marble, I think it would be a worthwhile wonder.

I recently started playing on emperor difficulty as i've moved through the difficulties (starting at settler couple months ago when i first got the game). I find emperor a lot harder then any previous difficulty because on emperor the AI will have a lot more military then any other lower level. So if you have neighbors close to you, or piss them off somehow, you're very likely to get dow'd early on in the game. Also AI will tech better on emperor then even king. For me the difference between king and emperor is fairly substantial. I can pretty much win all the time on king, but only about half the time in emperor so far.

I recently started playing on emperor difficulty as i've moved through the difficulties (starting at settler couple months ago when i first got the game). I find emperor a lot harder then any previous difficulty because on emperor the AI will have a lot more military then any other lower level. So if you have neighbors close to you, or piss them off somehow, you're very likely to get dow'd early on in the game. Also AI will tech better on emperor then even king. For me the difference between king and emperor is fairly substantial. I can pretty much win all the time on king, but only about half the time in emperor so far.

What are your game settings and neighbors in general? I found the jump from King to Emperor to be pretty small. The AI still isn't that great at tech and they can't keep gold to make RAs with either.

What are your game settings and neighbors in general? I found the jump from King to Emperor to be pretty small. The AI still isn't that great at tech and they can't keep gold to make RAs with either.

I usually play standard time with 8 civs on large map, random geography. I play random civs each game, but i get Dido a lot in my games and she ALWAYS backstabs me. lol. Granted, i don't build huge military right off the bat, as i often focus on science in the beginning. Carthage, USA, Germany, Huns are usually the civs that backstab me most often.

Top Bottom