Probably my fastest cultural victory EVER

Sabrina

Warlord
... And interesting, with the Shoshone!

Continents, 10 AIs, marathon, prince (after this one, I may level up to king). The entire map consisted of 2 huge land masses and a few islands, not interesting enough to settle because they were heavily occupied by CS. I'm glad I didn't decide to play as Indonesia, one of my current favorites.

Initial location was a nightmare. Squeezed between Polynesia and Byzantium, luckily with Venice as my 3rd neighbor (very lucrative trade routes). Settled my 2 first cities on rivers, stacked the ToA & HG in the capital, and went for a 3rd city on the west coast. As soon as I got my 1st trireme, was unpleasantly surprised by the fact that there was no way to cross to the other side of the continent through water. When I finally ventured into the ocean, managed to get to the east coast by navigating the entire globe.

By that time I had William as a runner up and settled my 4th city on the east coast so I could trade with him and get some cultural influence. Due to the Shoshone "super scout", I got a good early advantage in religion and culture, but by the time I reached the 2nd land mass, there were no more ruins to be found. From that point on, the game played by itself... World congress host, alliances with most of the CS (had to go for patronage, since at a certain point I wasn't making enough money to afford my alliances). Adopted my ideology a really LONG time ago and I'm nearing a cultural victory (50 something turns to become influential on Babylon, with open borders and a musician on the way) and no one else has an ideology yet. My tourism output is ridiculous: 200 something while the 2nd one makes 12. No one is digging sites because I guess no one else discovered archeology.

Well, why am I writing all that? Because it's fun! Maybe I'm just over excited by the fact that playing as the Shoshone was a very pleasant surprise. I don't usually scout, but I had to in this game and it was very well paid. Avoided wars at all costs, didn't DoWd anyone and everyone ended up being my friend, giving me open borders and trading their last copies of luxuries for my salt (have a lot). Just Kamehameha and Bluetooth never became friends or opened borders, the first because I aggressively settled close to his borders in the beginning and the second because he just likes to be a douchebag. Theodora and Dandolo were my loyal BFFs from the start, while Gandhi backstabbed everyone in his continent.

Sorry if I got lost in my ramblings and if any of you read up to here, I would love to know your opinions on how to level up from Prince to King "safely". I really like to play to win and even though this was one of my most enjoyable single games so far, it could have been just a little more challenging, like with the AI getting really angry when I proposed my religion as the world religion and bribed Venice to vote for my proposal, or fighting harder for their CS alliances after my coups and FOR GOD's SAKE, not trading open borders when I am crapping musicians...

Anyway, thanks for reading!

If you're doing that well on Prince you should be ok with King. I wasn't able to win my first few games on King, but I recently managed to win one and am doing well in my current King game.

Thank you JS, it usually takes me much longer to win, I wasn't even planning going cultural this time, but it ended up very easy:)

This is quite interesting for me because I only JUST last night was thinking of trying a cultural effort with Shoshone with the idea of aquiring vast tracts of land to maximise the number of dig sites you might acquire.....

Did you get to that stage of the game Sabrina?

Top Bottom