Is playing Civ 5 more about logic or just game experience?

Is playing Civ 5 more about logic or game experience?

• Total voters

Anhellia

Chieftain
I've been thinking recently (I know it's rare, but bear with me).

How much is playing Civ V developing your logic skills, compared to maybe playing chess? And do you think, high difficulty players (emperor, immortal, deity) are thinking a lot or just copying the same patterns from game to game?

Do you think high difficulty players are just more experienced and knowledgeable about the game or they have superior logic and analytical skills or is it a mix of both?

Definitely more experience than logic. I have tried playing a lot of this game logically (as I know the real world behaves) and it don`t work.

There are some things that work logically like in battle aircraft will win if you have no air cover, and the AI gets angry if you denounce him, etc but not much else really.

What you're calling logic, Socrates, is not logic/analytical skills, but realism. For logic/analytical skills to be important means that, given that you're told the mechanics of the game, you can figure out pretty optimal play by just reasoning it out.

As a turn based game analytical skills would have to be pretty significant for the game to be any good at all. Understanding the AI behavior is really important though (for single player) and I think that's pretty much all experience. Since the AI isn't people you can't really reason out their behavior based on what the smart thing to do would be or anything like that. Once you understand the AI most of the rest of it can be reasoned out. The game doesn't have so many really important choices that you couldn't come upon some pretty optimal strategies with a reasonable amount of experience though, even if those strategies might have been more obvious to someone who spent more time thinking it through beforehand. For the same reason, I think if you watched higher difficulty games for a while you'd see the strategies come from a fairly limited playbook. Whether you want to call that experience or logic is pretty subjective.

I think they come from both really. If you gave a stranger the game mechanics then had him sit out and do the math on the results of every decision and then played out the most optimal decision. He would probably play nearly the same game everytime. But even the most experienced players can say there plan doesn't always go exactly how they wanted when they started....

I think the variable AI, the UU, the UI, the UB, of every opponent and the nearly irrational nature of diplomacy means logic doesn't always win this game....

On the flip side the strategies the best players employ are largely based on logic, and weighing choices against one another. So its a game founded in logic but won in experience.

Experience no doubt. Logic won't get you sun 250 science victories. Logic will tell you melee in front of ranged but logic won't tell you movement penalties and bonuses for armies.

more about understanding they numerous systems and how to work them to ur advantage. well i guess that could come under experiance.

How much is playing Civ V developing your logic skills, compared to maybe playing chess? And do you think, high difficulty players (emperor, immortal, deity) are thinking a lot or just copying the same patterns from game to game?

I am not quite sure about how much you know about chess, but as far as I can judge playing chess is as much about experience and copying pattern as it is about logic skills. There must be a reason for why there are whole opening libraries collecting more or less successful moves for starting your game, why there is much effort to implement those into chess programmes - and why there is a constant, ongoing replay, analyze and discussion of classic chess games even decades after they have been played.
So if we get back to Civ V - or any Civ game - I think it's the same here: harldy anyone nails the game by coming up with their own logic conclusions but rather copying a successful strategy or successfull strategy elements they read about or learned here in the forums...

For me, experience (which, in this case, mean knowledge of game). Logic is far, far away. Civ5 logic is in many cases different than a general logic.

I think you need a certain degree of both. Experience will tell you, "Oh, hey, Shaka's moving lots of units around my borders...better bribe him to DOW someone else!" while logic gives you the basic, "Hmm, if I denounce Shaka, he won't like that and will kill me with his massive army." Experience is definitely used more than logic in Civ V, but I feel you need both.

Top Bottom