Tarot: Land of Arcana (WIP)

Thanks Blue Monkey. I sent Rob a PM and he told me what he remembered about it. The video file is called Race.bic in the movies folder and it needs to be saved in BINK format.

There is an open source project called libav that lets you save videos in BINK format. So I will download that later and play with it.

Your notes on the Steampunk race screen are very helpful. And controlling the space part images is easy once you know which files to change. I figured most of these out already.

But one thing that eludes me is this. How do you get rid of the "assign to whatever" link? Your sample Steampunk screen uses little books (good idea) to make it look like the items are on the pages of a book. But you somehow got rid of the "assign to" text and link.

Here's what I'm talking about (see pic)... where it shows black textbox areas and then the text "assign >". I'd like to remove that if possible and it looks like you did that on your file. But I'm going by the screenshot you posted here.

If you don't remember that stuff, that's cool. I'll figure it out eventually.

I changed the labels.txt file. I had already found relevant entries. But they only affect the text. They don't get rid of the black bar and the assign link...

I'm not sure what that means anyway. I didn't know you could assign a space part to anything...

Also, the 'view space race' link works but gets me confused. When you click it, it comes up with a dialog box that says something about how you need a spy for this civilization and a spy for this civilization, etc. I didn't know that you needed spies to build space parts? Have you seen that before?

note: I haven't found the label yet for 'view space race' to change the text. But I'm sure I'll find it quick like I did the others...

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

I attached a steampunk unicycle if you want to use it. I had it in my epic mod once.
I can find the large and small pcx files if you'd like them.

Sorry for all the questions. Anyway, I did scan through your Steampunk space ship screen thread and didn't see anything about how to remove the "assign to" link...

Attachments

• SHIPbackground White.png
    SHIPbackground White.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 123
  • vvimages.jpg
    vvimages.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 123
Well, after testing other mods and looking at their spaceship screens, I realized that everyone's spaceship screen has that long bar and then >assign beside it.

I went through every folder and file in the civilization III folder and I couldn't find an image showing that bar. So you can't change the bar.

Also, you can get rid of the text "assign" but you can't get rid of the ">" in front of it so it looks like this all the time. "> assign".

So I guess I will try not to worry about that stuff. At least when you hover over the bar area, it shows your roll-over image for that particular space part.

I'm going to write a spaceship tutorial soon...

The Conquest game's spaceship screen shows the long bars and "> assign". I guess that is all hard-coded into the game.

Attachments

• conquest spaceship.png
    conquest spaceship.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 69
The Conquest game's spaceship screen shows the long bars and "> assign". I guess that is all hard-coded into the game.
It's been quite a while so I'm a little fuzzy on that. I think you're correct. Balthasar handled the text files, iirc. I just did the graphics.

Ok, I finally see what's going on. The bar is there for a reason. It lets you know whether you have completed the part or not. See image below where I completed the water part...

Wow, I spent a lot of time on that before I thought about how it may be used to indicate the completion status of the part....

Attachments

• water completed.png
    water completed.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
Thanks Blue Monkey. I sent Rob a PM and he told me what he remembered about it. The video file is called Race.bic in the movies folder and it needs to be saved in BINK format.

There is an open source project called libav that lets you save videos in BINK format. So I will download that later and play with it.
I also mentioned in my pm that I used RAD tools. Here's the link to their free download - it's a simple case of loading the file and carrying out a single click conversion as far as I recall.

http://www.radgametools.com/

I also mentioned in my pm that I used RAD tools. Here's the link to their free download - it's a simple case of loading the file and carrying out a single click conversion as far as I recall.

http://www.radgametools.com/

Thanks Rob. I wasn't sure what you meant by RAD tools. So that's great! I'll go get it.

Official Leader List:

Ancient/Classical:
Aristotle
Aesop
Hercules
Hermes Trismegistus
Ovid
Plato
Plotinus
Pythagoras
Socrates

Medieval:
Abraham Abulafia
Roger Bacon
Charlemagne
Dante
Marsilio Ficino
Nicolas Flamel
Geber
Honorius of Thebes
King Charles IV
King Charles V
Magnus
Merlin
Nasreddin
Nostradamus
Ivor O'Donovan
Spinoza
William the Conqueror

Renaissance/Enlightenment
Abramelin the Mage
Francis Bacon
Roger Bolingbroke
Count Cagliostro
John Dee
Etteilla
Faust
Robert Fludd
Galileo
Priest Guibourg
Hamlet
Thomas Hobbes
Edward Kelley
Michael Maier
Magellan
John Milton
John Napier
Napoleon
Sir Isaac Newton
Ali Puli
Pedro Reinel
Rudolph II, Holy Roman Emperor
Count of Saint Germain
Shakespeare
Johannes Trithemius
Thomas Vaughan
La Voisin

The 19th Century
Francis Barrett
Algernon Blackwood
William Blake
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky
Aleister Crowley
Henri Gamache
A. Frank Glahn
Marie Laveau
Eliphas Levi
Harvey Spencer Lewis
Ralph Maxwell Lewis
Guido von List
Lord Lytton
Arthur Machen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papus
Edgar Allan Poe
Paschal Beverly Randolph
Pamela Colman Smith
Austin Osman Spare
Arthur Edward Waite
Hellmut Wolff

The 20th Century
Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki
Franz Bardon
Michael Bertiaux
Ray_Buckland
Peter J. Carroll
Gerald Gardner
Frieda Harris
Marilyn Manson
Ozzy Osbourne
Leila Waddell

Even though these people were born after the last era of this mod, they are still leaders that appear in the game. You have to suspend belief and act like they're services have been "summoned".

Note: These are all subject to change. I just want to start a list and then figure out which ones would be fun to add in the mod as a leader or possibly even as a unit.

Civilizations

Pentacles:
Earth, Merchants
North
Commercial, Scientific
European, German, Prussian, Austrian, Bulgarian, Bohemian, Roman.
Charlemagne

Swords:
Wind, Warriors
East
Militaristic, Expansionist
Asian, Chinese, Russian
Hongwu

Wands:
Fire, Farmers
South
Agricultural, Industrious
Middle Eastern, Turkish, Persian, Arabian
Sultan Osman I

Cups:
Water, Clergy
West
Religious, Seafaring
Mediterranean, French, English, Italian, Spanish
Joan of Arc

Other Units:

The Black Horse (Apocalypse)
Black Knight. Tom2050.

Troubadour. Kinboat. (will call this a Bard)

Bard. Ruby_Sauce (will call this a magic bard)

Shakespeare. Tmun

The Magician
Wizard King Unit (Prince Etienne). Grandraem.

note: I really wish I could find something better than this for the Magician unit.

King Charles V. Conquests/Art/Units/King Austria

Reserved for something.

I'm having trouble figuring out which rulers to set for each civilization.

I really want Joan d' Arc to be one of the rulers. And for her to lead a civilization with french flavored units. I think she would fit the Cups best because she is a Saint and the Cups are supposed to be more religious in nature than the other 3 suits.

So any suggestions would be appreciated it.

Of course, once you begin thinking in terms of correspondences, all sorts of things become possible...

Thanks again for this. When you first told me about this, I didn't realize how important correspondences were going to be for creating this mod. Now, I realize that this influences everything on my mod. Techs, Wonders, Unit flavors, Map Starting Locations (N, S, E, W) and even resources because some of the Tarot suits are associated with certain gems more than others. So I can strategically place resources on the map where the Suits will need to find them in order to progress in their development.

Top Bottom