Christian Schisms?

Well, no. Not unless the Mesopotamian religion is still in the real world. Otherwise, they use pantheons for ancient religions. Hence why Greece is Eastern Orthodox.

However, I do agree that Nebuchadnezzar would likely be the only one to have it, so it's probably not worth adding for that.

Well, no. Not unless the Mesopotamian religion is still in the real world. Otherwise, they use pantheons for ancient religions. Hence why Greece is Eastern Orthodox.

However, I do agree that Nebuchadnezzar would likely be the only one to have it, so it's probably not worth adding for that.
Well, I'm pretty sure there are no followers of ancient mesopotamian religion nowdays, so I agree with you.

Anyone know what the religion for Assyria is?

I imagine it's Islam, but if I would have picked Eastern Orthodox. The region of the Assyrian empire is now mostly Muslim, yes, but the Assyrian people themselves are mostly Christian.

I didnt know there were any Assyrian people, I thought Yossarian was the only one :D

No, Assyria would have it too. Modern Assyrians are Christians, but the Assyrians back then followed the same religion as the Babylonians. If they added Zoroastrianism for Persia only, I don't see why can't two civilizations receive their own religion.

My two pennies on this: the point of religions in Civ V is to be recognized symbols to tag various attributes to. I wouldn't really mind having more, but having some made up native American faith uniting all the native American civs wouldn't really do the trick and wouldn't definitely do justice to the faiths of the historic peoples. Likewise, having a separate faith for each civ there wouldn't really do the trick of easy recognition.

NA beliefs aren't rigid, and vary from region to region, hence my not placing them under the umbrella of organized religion.

Okay, what's the name of the Native American religion you want to include? Does it actually have tenets, common rituals, etc.?

Well I wouldn't want a single umbrella NA religion because you're talking about several unrelated cultures and thus several unique and unrelated religions.

And yes, within these religions are highly organized rituals, tenets, and pantheons common among the group.

Furthermore, you could also use the "modern" NA religions like longhouse, sun dance, ghost dance, peyote or NA church which are all highly organized with set rituals and beliefs.

No, Assyria would have it too. Modern Assyrians are Christians, but the Assyrians back then followed the same religion as the Babylonians. If they added Zoroastrianism for Persia only, I don't see why can't two civilizations receive their own religion.

Sorry, I meant "only one to have Shi'a Islam."

Well I wouldn't want a single umbrella NA religion because you're talking about several unrelated cultures and thus several unique and unrelated religions.

Which was really my point.

Furthermore, you could also use the "modern" NA religions like longhouse, sun dance, ghost dance, peyote or NA church which are all highly organized with set rituals and beliefs.

Hm. True, I could see some of those as religions, or religion-like. The issue is, again, how do you represent such a diverse set of faiths?

To my understanding, this was only in Athens. Outlying regions would have different focuses for gods they preferred & local worship practices. You were expected to adhere to Athens' religious standards when interacting with Athens (for the Olympics, as you mentioned), but other areas did their own thing when they didn't need to directly bother dealing with Athens. As I said though, I'm not a religious scholar, so I may be mistaken on that.

The Olympics were not an Athenian thing. After all it was in Peloponnese, a land mass that was under the political dominance of Sparta.
The Olympics were a festival dedicated to Greece (as a nation of peoples not a state) and the Greek gods. It reminded the diverse city states (including their colonies) the things they had in common:
Language, Heritage/bloodline, Religious beliefs and their common destiny: That one day they will uplift the barbarians (Πας μη έλλην βάρβαρος = Non Greek equals barbarian) of the rest of the world to an equal cultural and educational state ( I can only dream of how they felt when word of Alexanders success in Persian was resounding thought the Greek mainland).

The Greek Pantheon was diverse, there were 12 main gods but if you count in the vassals, lesser powers, spirits, daemons and mythical creatures and some times even mortals that ascended to demigod status (To use your example of Athens, its almost mythic founder Theseus) you could indeed pretty much loose it. However all those were ingrained in the Dodekatheon and thereby fulfilled the criterion of 'Greek religion'.

OFC if you interacted with an Athenian you would be informed that Athena and Theseus were prominent figures of their worship. An islander would pay service to Poseidon, in Corinth (famous for its holy prostitution at the time) the devotion to Aphrodite was paramount. But all of them accepted and paid service (even token at sometimes) to the whole Pantheon.

An Athenian woman would pay her respects both to Hera (goddess of marriage and household among others) and to Athena the patron of the city, and during a visit to say Iolkos would pass by the temple of Poseidon to pay her respects. Similarly her husband would do the above, and while on war would pray to Ares and during peacetime since he is say a blacksmith to Hephaestus. And I dont want to take into account the cults that had to do with orgies and necromancy....

Sorry for derailing.

Otherwise, they use pantheons for ancient religions. Hence why Greece is Eastern Orthodox.

Well yes, but the real reason that they use Eastern Orthodox is because the system is messed up. To take Greece as an example, they use the Ancient Greeks as the CiV but they use the modern Greeks for religion. Same with Aztecs for example. On the other hand since there is an appropriate religion for Persia to follow on the time the CiV is represented (Aechmanids) and not modern day Iran, is the reason they don't choose Islam.

Hm. True, I could see some of those as religions, or religion-like. The issue is, again, how do you represent such a diverse set of faiths?

With the new reformation system ill use Christianity as an example not with bias but with virtue of knowledge, I dont want to post errors since I am not that versed in NA religions. They could have added 'core' religions (the old ones plus some new to encompass all civs in the game) and once you choose the reformation policy instead of choosing a new belief bluntly, you could choose said belief and be given a new set of Icons and a renaming tag (obviously there should have been scripted choices for the AI), thus after the reformation your 'Christianity' would be reformed to Orthodoxy or Catholicism and the NA (dont know names sorry) religion could be named the ghost dance (as you people post it :) ) for say the Iroquois and the Shoshone could name it something else.

Top Bottom