Firaxis' official Gods & Kings site now up and running!

Is it me or does Theodora looks kinda ... unshaved

I believe that would be accurate for just about every person on the planet until the mid 20th century in a few select countries. That's kind of like saying "Is it me or do none of the leaders wear American flag lapel pins?" As in, I wouldn't expect them to.

I do like the language and the way the voice actor tries to speak it
I just meant that I don't like the tone for her

See, I thought her tone came off as dignified. She isn't monotone like Sejong, imo.

But it's much worse for Maria Theresa...
Why did they give her the tone of a flirtish teenager? :p

Interestingly, I thought the same thing. However, German posters have told me they don't see it. They thought she sounded "whimsically aristocratic" (in a cliched way, but more or less what you would want).

She DOES sound like a stuck-up woman, I don't see anything about what most people here complain about! I don't see Gusties' voice as being that of a 16 year old, and I don't see MT's voice as being that of a 'flirtish teenager'.

See, I thought her tone came off as dignified. She isn't monotone like Sejong, imo.

Interestingly, I thought the same thing. However, German posters have told me they don't see it. They thought she sounded "whimsically aristocratic" (in a cliched way, but more or less what you would want).

She sounds like a teen? Well my German roots are from the South (Badem-Wurttemberg) and I have to say I didn't get that impression. My German family is extremely country, Maria Theresa sounds snobbishly aristocratic to me.

I never thought she sounded like a teen. I thought she sounded flirtatious. Like I said, those with knowledge of German, disagree complete with this assessment. In fact, this view convinced me my initial impression was dead wrong. I just thought it was worth pointing out to see if I can convince others who thought as I once did to change their mind.

Even if that flirtatious sounding is intentional, and somehow represents her aristocracity
I still think that the voice itself sound too young for Maria Theresa

Have you noticed that the community pages are three links to Civfanatic forum threads?
That's good news for us, right?

I think Maria Theresa sounds young because her voice doesn't waver at all. She'd sound older to my ears if her voice wasn't as smooth, but as it is, it doesn't seem to have that 'character' that comes with age, and is a little too playful.

Wait what? Sejong is monotone? I think you need your ears checked :D

Maria Theresa's voice makes me think of a mouse. It's too high pitched to be a flirty teenage girl. I suppose mice could be royal...

Is it just me or is William of Orange going to get really annoying when he takes 5 minutes to notice you every time you see him? This is probably the reason the Spanish got so angry with him.

And Pacal looks so depressed he's about to throw himself off that pyramid of his!

Is it just me or is William of Orange going to get really annoying when he takes 5 minutes to notice you every time you see him? This is probably the reason the Spanish got so angry with him.

And Pacal looks so depressed he's about to throw himself off that pyramid of his!

:lol:

IIRC, Washington takes his time before noticing you, too. He looks so ill-intentioned staring that world globe...

Even if that flirtatious sounding is intentional, and somehow represents her aristocracity

and is a little too playful.

Well, I'm a native speaker from southern Germany - and all I can say is that what you guys preceive as "flirtatious" and "too playfull" is the very melody of the Austrian accent. And I know quite a handfull of women with Austrian, Bavarian or Badisch accent that sound much more cute and youngish than they actually are - because of their accent and the way they speak. If you phone with them you give them tripple A - but wait till you see them. If you think that's all nonsense - well, who am I to lecture you... :sad:

do we know all the details about the UU's or UB's yet?

esp interested in UB's (Polder, Coffee House, Ceilidh Hall)...

Beeing a nativ speaker, I can second the judgement, that Maria Theresa sounds quite good.

I don't think, the voice actress is to young for MT's age. Additionally, I don't have the impression that she is either snobby (this impression might come from her Austrian accent) nor flirty.
Yes, she sounds and acts quite jovial - but this fits the clichée of the placid Austrian temprament.
Even more, I think this is quite the behaviour you might expect when she meets an evenly ranked statesman: No tedious formality, but creating the athmosphere of trust and confidence. (This fits well to their UA!)

Top Bottom