Civ V Trading Cards

ragan651

High Regent of Candlewick
Just thought I'd let you all know Civ V now has trading cards on Steam.

What are Steam Trading Cards?
--> http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

Well. Seems like everyone who plays the game a bit will get 4 random cards as a start. I am not too sure how the other 4 can be obtained (without buying them for some cents from people who do not collect them). When you got the full set, you can craft some badges which enable you to use CiV related steam chat emoticons and raise your steam level. What is that good for? Nothing really, just another form of achievements :lol:

Anyway, feel free to contact me on Steam if you wish to trade (I'm probably not interested in any cards apart from CiV, FTL and the Summer Getaway for now).

Here's a probably complete overview of what CiV cards and rewards there are:
(I was lucky enough to get the wonder background when crafting my first set into a badge :)).

Spoiler :

Ive got the science guy also double. I've only got a few games that are eligible for steam cards, but i always get double cards...portal 2 en grid 2 was the same

Just checked inventory and saw them. I have skyrim card if you want to trade. :)

What are Steam Trading Cards?
--> http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

Well. Seems like everyone who plays the game a bit will get 4 random cards as a start. I am not too sure how the other 4 can be obtained (without buying them for some cents from people who do not collect them). When you got the full set, you can craft some badges which enable you to use CiV related steam chat emoticons and raise your steam level. What is that good for? Nothing really, just another form of achievements :lol:

Anyway, I got the Science Advisor Card twice, feel free to contact me on Steam if you wish to trade one of your cards (which is not the Military Advisor nor Washington) for that one.

You get more cards by trading with people, buying them on the Steam Market, or if you're lucky getting a randomly created booster pack (they'll just appear sometimes).

They really look a bit lazy. And the background you can get.... meh I bought one for 7 EUR-cents. I see why now. Huge let down.

I wasn't too thrilled with them either, but when you click on them and see the full size image, they're really nice. I think they could have done better, and could have used some more diverse leaders.

Edit: I removed part of the post because I no longer have spare cards to trade.

Yeah, they could just include the more iconic Civ leaders like Ceasar, Bismark, Shaka and certainly Ghandi or something. I mean I expected something on the level of the wonder splash screen for the backgrounds.

Moderator Action: 2 threads merged.

Can anyone shortly explain what these cards are, for what they are good for, and if this is in any way important? Thank you :).

It's a Steam feature. When you play Civ V, you get trading cards that you can trade with other people, and collect to get extra features on Steam.

While it doesn't directly affect Civ, it's used to earn Civ-related stuff and is generated by playing Civ.

:hatsoff: thank you.
mmhh...guess that falls in the category "maybe interesting when you're not actually playing".

seems to me more like "maybe interesting if you spend social time in steam forums". since i dont the cards arent worth anything to me. i have a few for borderlands 2, prison architect, and bioshock inf and some coupon for 10% off for Toki Tori 2. im pretty sure ill never use them if trading/purchase is required to complete the sets.

Turns out you have to play the game first. Anyway, I got 3 Science guy and sold one for $30. It says I'll receive $30 and the buyer pays $34.50. Dunno what that means.

$30? That's not going to sell. As for the two prices, there's a 15% fee on all sales, paid by the buyer. 5% for Valve and 10% for 2K. So you put what you want to earn, and the market will show the price with the fees added.

And to get the cards, you have to play the game for a little while. Around 2 hours should do it. Everyone who owns Civ V has 4 card drops, so they will eventually earn 4 cards if Civ V is running long enough. The rest have to traded or bought.

Yea most of those cards are between 0.03 and 0.45 € worth, foil cards usually three times as much as a regular card. Standard CiV cards currently sell for around 10 to 17 Cents on the steam market.

Luckily I found someone to trade my 4 Faster Than Light Cards for 4 CiV cards so I finally got a badge too (and the Wonders background!) :D

Yea most of those cards are between 0.03 and 0.45 € worth, foil cards usually three times as much as a regular card. Standard CiV cards currently sell for around 10 to 17 Cents on the steam market.

Luckily I found someone to trade my 4 Faster Than Light Cards for 4 CiV cards so I finally got a badge too (and the Wonders background!) :D

The wonders background is quite nice.

It's a Steam feature. When you play Civ V, you get trading cards that you can trade with other people, and collect to get extra features on Steam.

While it doesn't directly affect Civ, it's used to earn Civ-related stuff and is generated by playing Civ.

No, its pretty much just a way to make Valve (and the devs/publishers, they get a cut too) more money from nothing. Most of the backgrounds and emoticons you can unlock from the badges are mere pennies on the market and you can barely see or find a use for them anyway. There is absolutely no real use or benefit for the consumer. Its a rather brilliant scheme, but also unnecessary bloat and the way Stem displays people's completely and utterly useless and meaningless Steam Levels is obnoxious.

The current sale is crashing prices pretty hard too.

Top Bottom