A comprehensive UU guide (the updated thread)

After a very long delay, the entry on the Navy SEAL is added. With that, the first part of the article is complete :goodjob:

Next up is the infamous Praetorians.

INSANE GUIDE!

short and concise, but not lacking, and easy to understand

Added the entry on Praetorians. The Janissary is next, followed by the Samurai, the Cossack and the Panzer. And then we're done :king:

Added the entry on Praetorians. The Janissary is next, followed by the Samurai, the Cossack and the Panzer. And then we're done :king:
Suggestion for praetorians. Razing enemy cities, keeping a select few, is the best strategic choice. Praets are so strong that you can hamstring several AIs this way. However, keep an eye on unit maintenance. Be sure and pillage the countryside before razing each city. Praets are strong enough that they can wander around solo without worry, especially those with Combat promotions.

Later, when Longbows show up but Cats aren't available yet, pillaging is still very viable even though taking or razing cities isn't as good of an option. Only the advent of Macemen will curtail this.

Wodan

Suggestion for praetorians. Razing enemy cities, keeping a select few, is the best strategic choice. Praets are so strong that you can hamstring several AIs this way. However, keep an eye on unit maintenance. Be sure and pillage the countryside before razing each city. Praets are strong enough that they can wander around solo without worry, especially those with Combat promotions.

Later, when Longbows show up but Cats aren't available yet, pillaging is still very viable even though taking or razing cities isn't as good of an option. Only the advent of Macemen will curtail this.

hum, I mostly agree except the last sentence.
It's not the macemen that make it dangerous to wander around. It's the crossbowmen, and those can appear a lot sooner : keep pillaging the iron and copper, and you're safe ;)

hum, I mostly agree except the last sentence.
It's not the macemen that make it dangerous to wander around. It's the crossbowmen, and those can appear a lot sooner : keep pillaging the iron and copper, and you're safe ;)

Don't you mean *only* Iron? Crossbowmen required Iron (not copper) unless you also included Macemaen, then Pillaging all strategic metals is a must.

Don't you mean *only* Iron? Crossbowmen required Iron (not copper) unless you also included Macemaen, then Pillaging all strategic metals is a must.

iron first, since it's required for crossbows, then copper to prevent macemen (and even axemen :lol:)
let them build horses (before knights, it's not a problem at all)

Good to see you back :)

Hmm... Apart from your point on pillaging (which I shall add), what's there that I haven't mentioned?

Good point on the danger of crossbows, guys. I'll add that to the entry.

Good to see you back :)
Thanks. I'll be sure and cause more trouble. Need to be sure the discussions are suitably lively, don'tcha know. I'll even argue both sides, if I need to. Drives people nuts. ;)

Hmm... Apart from your point on pillaging (which I shall add), what's there that I haven't mentioned?
Nothing, except perhaps emphasis that hurting the enemy (by razing AI cities) does help you in the long term. It's not necessarily intuitive, especially to new players, which is what the guide is aimed at, right?

Good point on the danger of crossbows, guys. I'll add that to the entry.
Agreed, a good call.

Wodan

I'll even argue both sides, if I need to. Drives people nuts. ;)

That's what I find so charming about you....the ability to detach yourself from the issue and have (mostly) intelligent discourse.

Of course, the non-intelligent discourse is more fun and entertaining, but one doesn't want to get banned now, does one?

That's what I find so charming about you....the ability to detach yourself from the issue and have (mostly) intelligent discourse.

Of course, the non-intelligent discourse is more fun and entertaining, but one doesn't want to get banned now, does one?
ha. :lol:

Edited the Numidian Cavalry entry. It actually has 50% withdrawal chance with Flanking II, since it already has 20% from natural ability. Also made minor changes to phrasing.

Added the entry on Janissary. Samurai is next.

remember to put some about the resourse requirements (copper or iron) so you have a largerchance of using it with a small empire.

remember to put some about the resourse requirements (copper or iron) so you have a largerchance of using it with a small empire.

I don't understand. Which UU are referring to?

I think he is referring to the Samurai.

I think he is referring to the Samurai.

But what has it got to do with a small empire? In fact, AFAIK Samurai can't be built with copper.

But what has it got to do with a small empire? In fact, AFAIK Samurai can't be built with copper.

Yeap, I think he got it backwards. You need iron for Samurai while you can build Macemen with either iron or copper. So in the latter case you have a choice of two resources, hence the possibility of a smaller empire if copper is nearby but iron isn't. For Samurai you'll have to settle that icy city just to get the iron.

Top Bottom