A comprehensive UU guide (the updated thread)

One thing about Qin and Cho-Ko-Nu's: you mentioned getting them via the Oracle -> Metal Casting slingshot. I think I found a better one. Going Bronze Working -> Masonry and Worker -> Warrior to size 2 -> Settler -> complete Warrior -> Great Wall in the capital, then Oracle in a secondary city can be even faster. The advantage is that you don't care about barbs anymore, nor about settling the second city on copper (you won't need axemen for barb protection), so you'll have the liberty of choosing the best close location for it.

I've started a few games with him yesterday and you need to beeline to the Oracle to be sure to get it, but in one of them I'm now happily first in power and jumped from my original 3 cities to 7 in a matter of turns (1 barb & 3 German, including capital). I also got lucky and founded Hinduism in the second city, so it got a temple and a priest and my second great person was a Great Prophet for the Hindu shrine. It's just a pleasure playing through now. I just hope I don't over-expand. :D

After weeks of dereliction (sorry, guys, been very busy), this article have just had another entry added to it. The entry is on Fast Workers.

Next up is the Navy SEAL.

aelf,

Do you already have data for the samurai? I've never played as toku before and will probably start a game with him this weekend. Looking to run a CS/machinery fast track to make samurai's as fast as possible. With those two first strikes and CR promos, they simply must be able to mop up longbowmen. I see the possibility of acquiring samurai's long before the AI has knights or gunpowder and predict a lot of pain for my neighbors.

About the Numidian Cavalry, you should also include the fact that you need to research Archery + HBR(Two dead end techs) in order to build them... most players skip the tech archery in the early game because it's a dead end tech and they usually trade for that tech once they research alphabet so if their intending to beeline to Early NM remind them about the dead end techs.

Another thing about the Numidian Cavalry is they havea reasonable lifespan, you can reasonably use them to counter Maces with the right promotions (Combat 1 + Shock). They make reasonable if not better Crossbowmen replacesments, if your unable to build crossbowmen because you don't have The tech Machinery or Iron and compared to the crossbowmen they have have double movement and have a withdrawal chance so under the unlikely circumstance they lose in battle they have the chance to withdraw and recover and their lifespan will last untill the tech Engineering or Guilds.

Engineering becuase the Opponent can buld Pikes to counter them effectively, although they can still easily take those trebs and Guilds because obviously it's time to upgrade them to knights.

Since NC's have a reasonable lifespan and you require dead end techs to build them, you should generally not beeline to them under normal circumstances but instead play the game like normal as if they were Normal Horse Archers, The right time to Research Archery & HBR would after Alphabet when you can trade for archery and/or HBR, if it's not available for trade then it's the right time to research it.

Mace vs Promoted NC

8 str vs 9.25 (5str + 10% Combat 1 + 75% vs Melee)

This post provides quite a lot technical data on Samurai:

Some observations about Samurais...

I added the bit about the Archery requirement in the NC entry. However, I must say that I don't want to describe every strategy to get a UU as early as possible. These things may change and people always find newer and better ways to do so. This guide is meant to give players ideas on how to use all the different UUs, that's all. It's not a comprehensive strategy guide. It can't be, even if I tried :p

regarding cho ku no:
When at range, use your crossbowman; in close combat, use your melee weapons. Melee weapons and crossbows should always support each other.
Sun Tzu

In fact: i was once playing as qin shi huang and built cho ku no where i would normally build swordsman.
i promoted the cho ku no's with drill II, III and IV ( they already receive I for being protective) and they were unstoppable: a cho ku no with drill IV has 6strength, 5 first strikes, 3 first strike chances, +10vs mounted, +50vsmelee and causes collateral dammage.
cho ku no's come faster then macemen , so you can build an army of them combining hem with axemen or swordsmen. the cho ku no's collateral damage wil make sure you can get through with ancient age units.

If you need something about...
Panzer
Replaces tank, gains a +50% bonus versus armored units.

Historical rant (delete this part):
Panzer is the German term for "Armor" or "Armor plate". Proper use of Panzers was instrumental in Germany's initial success in the early WWII. The use of massed armor supported by concentrated fighter/bomber support was first demonstrated on the western front in 1940. Dubbed Blitzkrieg or "lightning war", it was repeated with huge initial success against the numerically superior Soviet Union in 1941. After initial successes, the Germans decided to commit Panzer troops in street-fighting in Stalingrad, which enabled the Soviets to envelope and destroy the largest and best-equipped German army at the time, ensuring allied victory in WWII.

While the best German Panzers were far superior to the Allies' (the German tank ace Michael Wittmann destroyed 138 enemy tanks, which would have been impossible for any allied tank commander), the Soviet tanks were about equal in performance. The mass-produced T-34 was the best tank in the world when it was launched, which led to the Germans designing the Tiger and Panther tanks. The German success were due to superior doctrine of mobile warfare (remember civ II?), operational skill, and superior gunnery at long range. The Soviet army did not have much success until it started using Breakthrough tactics. Poetically enough, the encirclement of the German sixth army Stalingrad was the first such big-scale attack

Civ IV rant starts here:
The Panzer is unique unit which takes the longest to be able to produce. You will need the techs of industrialism and rifling as well as access to oil (combustion). However this also means that in the late-game only Germany will have a qualitative advantage over other civs, as all their unique units will be outdated.

While the +50% bonus versus armored units is a sizable bonus, it will only work against tanks and modern armor. Panzers will always receive favourable odds against enemy tanks regardless of where combat is joined, due to lack of defensive bonuses. Against scattered small stacks of enemy tanks, this should lead to the German player being able to kill enemy units while only sustaining unit damage. This will lead to a great win/loss ratio, and can also lead to highly experienced and promoted Panzer crews. With medic units at hand, the rest and recuperation should not take too long.

In enemy cities most enemies will be gunpowder units with city garrison promotions, against which panzers will perform no different than the tank. Even if there are enemy tanks in defense, the game would almost always pick a gunpowder defender. So collateral damage would be the best bet against cities.

This means that the Panzer is no better than normal tanks in the taking of cities, but they are unsurpassed in dominating the surrounding field, something a careful player can utilize in home defense, surrounding a target city to cut of replacements and guerilla-type pillaging raids. They will also provide good stack defense due to bonus versus this era's prime mobile attacker. To avoid Panzers being left alone and unprotected a careful player can use road network in home territory, and counterattack in 1-move terrain only when in enemy lands. Mobility and morale can also be used to get the unit safely home after counterattack.

One final point about the Panzers is that they can still perform when pitted against modern armor. Not quite cost-effective, but a lot better than normal tanks. This could save a situation when the player needs a little more time, either to gain a source of aluminum or research the tech to build modern armor, or to build a last spaceship part.

Oh, man. This week is really packed. This month has been hellish. It should get better next month, though.

Don't worry, we still have lots of UUs to pick from! :) I'm currently starting a game with Churchill that will be war-war-war so I'm likely to try and make maximum use of Redcoats and your post just gave me more ideas. :D

Speaking of which, I'd also mention drafting Redcoats with Churchill. While they might not get additional promotions they do start with City Garrison and Drill I so they're not that bad.

This post provides quite a lot technical data on Samurai:

I added the bit about the Archery requirement in the NC entry. However, I must say that I don't want to describe every strategy to get a UU as early as possible. These things may change and people always find newer and better ways to do so. This guide is meant to give players ideas on how to use all the different UUs, that's all. It's not a comprehensive strategy guide. It can't be, even if I tried :p

Regarding the tech data on the samurai, it is right on. Let me say the samurai is an effective UU with a very long lifetime provided you make obtaining them your primary interest. It is possible to have them online before some AIs are building longbows, which they cut down as well with relative ease. They are macemen with two first strikes, it's as simple as that.

johnny_rico
Regarding the tech data on the samurai, it is right on. Let me say the samurai is an effective UU with a very long lifetime provided you make obtaining them your primary interest. It is possible to have them online before some AIs are building longbows, which they cut down as well with relative ease. They are macemen with two first strikes, it's as simple as that.

Do keep in mind that Tokugawa is Aggressive, so his melee Samurai receive a combat I promotion no matter what.

redcaots vs grenadiers is more of a 50-50 chance atacking or defending

redcoat attacking grenadier isn't 50-50. It's more like RIP grenadier.

Indeed.

Anyway, I'll be focusing on this thread this week, before starting on the first Immortal Challenge. Another entry should be up within the next few days.

Top Bottom