TMIT's Guide to Speed Civving

The is because the timer doesn't move when the game is working compared to when the player is... This is a well known fact. In pitboss games i play the timer is usually set to 21 hours or something but it plays like 24 hours because the timer actually goes slower than it says...

What do you mean by when the game is working? My computer is pretty fast and the time between the turns was only 1-3 seconds in my test game. (I played about 100 turns into my game if that matters.)

Whenever you(or anyone) perform an action the comptuer stops the timer while performing the action i assume...

You know, the easiest way to find out what the timer is recording would be for someone to have a look at the code. I can't do it but there are a number of people who'd have a good idea.

Nice article....very impressed on how you manage to remember what tiles 10 cities are working :eek:

Also impressed on how you manage to switch tiles without going into city screens...never knew you could do that :)

You do have to go in city screens to switch tiles, don't you? I thought TheMeInTeam was implying that he clicked to enter the city screens, then instantly chose what tiles to work without "looking" at the city. Or maybe I should just re-read the article.

I do both. Using the governor allows you to swap tiles without going in at all, the caveat is how have to know by memory what the governor will do.

Otherwise you just have to be fast...even I do some tile swapping in the early goings.

You don't have to know by memory. If memory serves correctly, turning on the tile resource switch allows you to tell on the overland map which tiles are being worked, so assuming you can switch the governors overland, you can also tell how the tile works are changing, too.

Really? Like, clicking to attack a unit and the timer stops when the animation is going?

There are people using animation? O_o Did you even read the guide? :p but ya, animation really slows down the game i think.

You don't have to know by memory. If memory serves correctly, turning on the tile resource switch allows you to tell on the overland map which tiles are being worked, so assuming you can switch the governors overland, you can also tell how the tile works are changing, too.

This requires you to actually check, though ;). If you memorize how it works you can do it almost instantly.

The biggest timesaver is always going to be making decisions based on the information you have quickly. Micro tips will get you 20-30 seconds better/turn which is material, but some people play games that last well over 10 hours, and the majority of that is time spent planning and making decisions.

Thanks for the tips.
I do not want to play fast, but I do want to get free,as much as I can,
of the "annoying" interface tasks.
Best regards,

What exactly do you mean with coast hugging? Just explore tile or two from the coast?

Yeah. I just have it follow the coast, sometimes going 1 tile in if doing so puts it on defensive terrain. With barbs this grants a much larger chance of survival. It also shows the potential for island expansion and opens up trade routes @ sailing if there are nearby AIs.

Subsequent fogbust units find areas to settle typically.

What options do you have for worker automation? I play reasonably fast, average 3-4 hrs on epic standard sized maps, but my late game automated workers are borderline ******ed at times, what do you do with leave old improvements, leave forests etc.? And early on when I did quick combat offense defense don't show enemy moves, quick moves etc. I shaved off 6 hrs + of each game(not exaggerating)

What options do you have for worker automation? I play reasonably fast, average 3-4 hrs on epic standard sized maps, but my late game automated workers are borderline ******ed at times, what do you do with leave old improvements, leave forests etc.? And early on when I did quick combat offense defense don't show enemy moves, quick moves etc. I shaved off 6 hrs + of each game(not exaggerating)

Could you explain more on how to save gametime?

Could you explain more on how to save gametime?

Yeah read TMIT's post, but to give a quick summary of my main things
QUICK COMBAT
waypoints (alt click cities for all, put em on one spot, then go to individual ones if you must)
Diplomacy, figure out your friends and act according to it
Bug mod helps a lot, saving time MMing
Build que everything, pop ups annoying -.-
I personally click my workers for farms, cottages, workshops, watermills, windmills etc., I don't use shortcuts, but they may help

And youll be fine, I win Emperor consistently in 4 hrs or less.

I've also used to be quite a decent Starcraft player and what do you know, my playtime in Civ is very simmilar to yours. My last Deity game win took me 5:21 to play. Most of it took cross continental reneisance warfare.

Regarding governor:
I find it that for really most of the time emphasize production+commerce works really well.
I sometimes use emphasize food in special cases and that's it.

Also, for me, the "minimize pop-ups" option really helps. I just hate it when those pop-ups appear when I'm concentrated on something else. Later in the game in can really be a pain if you have, say, 20 cities.

good job with the guide

Top Bottom