Mod-Modders Guide to Fall Further

So, I have a nice problem here. For the sake of a few people I'm editing the Fall Further module to remove some references to non-Erebus things (that are in FfH - it's to remove the silly things from the final mod that we find a bit jarring, the Monty Python comments/buttons and Guybrush Threepwood as the Lanun hero.)

Through the course of changing Guybrush's name both of my XML editors had issues opening UnitInfos.xml, stating there was an issue at line 8412. This line is...
<Image>Art\GreatPeople\Simple\Tuatha Dé Danann.dds</Image>
It's the é in the text file which is fouling up my XML editor. Can Civ IV parse these characters, or are my xml editors just wonky?

Secondly, upon trying to open the .PAK file to change the name of the picture (so I can have a regular e there, then change UnitInfos without breaking the link), I get an error stating "Chorus of the Damned is not a valid integer value." and cannot open the .PAK file to change this error, to change the other error, to fix one small letter so I can just rename Guybrush... I've been on this escapade an hour or so... can anybody assist with where my problems lie? 0_o

Yes, Civ handles the name just fine. Use Notepad++ to edit, it is very nice and has no issue with such characters :)

You generally don't want to edit inside the PAK, as you then have to repack it and distribute all of the art all over. Just place an image in the Assets/Art folder with the same path/name as the button you wish to replace, or point the file at a new location for your new button.

One of my coder buddies pointed me to a different editor that has more features and will handle the character fine, too. So no harm was done.

Started modding Fall Further, now I can't stop messing with stuff >_> Is this how you guys started? :D

Not sure where the correct place to ask this, but maybe here.

What do I need to do in order to use/make maps for FF? I have no problems with just FfH, but in FF I get a CTD.

We allow a maximum of 50 teams, so you have to account for that properly.

Also, updated the sourcecode zipfile just now, contains some of the fixes which will go with next patch, but doesn't require any supporting python or XML changes.

I'll check stuff for the next patch, but currently if I make a random map, save it in world builder, then try and load it as a scenario, I get a CTD, no python errors.

Far as I know THAT should work fine. I would suspect the issue might be tied to the worldbuilder save trying to maintain a record of what the game time was.... I messed with that heavily to get the gameturn to show up in the replay screens, had a few unexpected issues along the route (function is used for a LOT of things)

Are there any premade maps that you know work that I can try, so I can make sure the problem isnt something on my end?

Well, just to check everything on my end, I uninstalled then reinstalled everyting and one of them seems to be working now.

I don't know i this is were I'm supposed to ask this question, but I don't anywere else to ask it.
I have replaced Fall Furthers ARTSTYLE_DARK with C.Rolands ARTSTYLE_CALABIM. What do I do if I want have them as seperate artstyles instead?

If you have some old copies of FfH from before Kael removed the civic category, compare their interface screens and you'll easily see where to modify the width of the screen. I believe there were 3 or 4 places in the file you needed to tweak things.

For the artstyle, just don't overwrite anything and you can keep them both. Be sure to list them in the proper order of course in the GlobalTypes.xml

If you have some old copies of FfH from before Kael removed the civic category, compare their interface screens and you'll easily see where to modify the width of the screen. I believe there were 3 or 4 places in the file you needed to tweak things.

That's about what I thought... Been trying to find something, may just end up having to see if I can get the old comp working well enough to grab the values out of it.

So - question... Is there any way to lock rituals off to certain leaders of a civ, as opposed to just certain civs?

I've been thinking about giving the Illians a second leader that isn't out to Ascend and bring a second age of winter in a modmodmod, but of course he'd have to lose access to the building-up rituals for this to work how I want. (Honestly, would like to give him a different worldspell too.) Still toying with the idea though, but would like to know if it's even workable first.

Flat out replace might work. I don't recall anything important being changed.

Ice: Might be best to make it an offshoot Civilization to make things easy on yourself for changing worldspell and ritual access. But otherwise, the only readily available method would be to activate the python callback for CanConstruct on Projects and place a block there for your new leader. Would be much the same for the worldspell, you'd just create 2 worldspells for Illians, and have a PythonPrereq for each which limits it to only the proper leader.

Top Bottom