Is there a diplomatic penalty for...

Rohili

King
1) ...trading GPT to the AI in return for lump sum gold (you have a DOF), and then declaring war on the AI before the deal is over?

2) ...agreeing to a grossly one-sided trade with a hostile AI just to get access to a luxury for purposes of WLTKD, then declaring war the next turn?

3) ...agreeing to trade a luxury to the AI for something else, and then pillaging your luxury so that you lose access to it?

I don't believe that there is any penalty for any of these, besides the war penalty, which in BNW, is pretty big anyways, so you might wanna avoid these still. Also, there is no way to pillage your own luxury, the only improvement you can destroy in your own lands in your roads.

1) ...trading GPT to the AI in return for lump sum gold (you have a DOF), and then declaring war on the AI before the deal is over?
Besides the penalty for declaring war, you also get a harsh penalty for backstabbing your friend. For the rest of the game. With everyone. Even if they haven't met you yet.

Yeah, do not declare war (or denounce) your friends - this kills any chance of diplomacy for the rest of the game.

2) ...agreeing to a grossly one-sided trade with a hostile AI just to get access to a luxury for purposes of WLTKD, then declaring war the next turn?
Again, declaring war does make you a warmonger - so try not to do it too much. Same goes with capturing cities. But if you declare war, then you can always liberate some City-State they captured or something, and that makes you a good guy in the other's eyes! :)

3) ...agreeing to trade a luxury to the AI for something else, and then pillaging your luxury so that you lose access to it?
Nope, nothing happens in that case - but it is pretty gamey! :lol:

Thanks for the responses. :) I'm not concerned with the diplomatic penalty for DOWs; my question is whether there is any additional penalty. It seems like there should be, especially since the warmonger penalty for simple DOWs (without actually taking cities) is relatively low.

The only diplomatic penalty you get from any of those is with other posters on Civfanatics.

There are no penalties for either of these things, so if you wish to cheat you're free to do so.

yeah, The only people who will hate you more is us :ninja:
But the again, doesn't the AI cheat, especially with happiness? SO this could be the poor mans equilibrium here

yeah, The only people who will hate you more is us :ninja:
But the again, doesn't the AI cheat, especially with happiness? SO this could be the poor mans equilibrium here

If you're actually asking that last question, you don't know what you're talking about.

The only diplomatic penalty you get from any of those is with other posters on Civfanatics.

Actually you get positive diplo from some of us, especially ones who are tired of the nonsensical "too gamey" argument :lol:.

Actually you get positive diplo from some of us, especially ones who are tired of the nonsensical "too gamey" argument :lol:.
I do think it is undesirable that the AI can be exploited in such a cheap fashion and that the game should be patched to solve this. But in the mean time, as long as this feature is there and it is not a clear bug (like Venice being able to annex cities in Strategic View), then it is not "too gamey" to exploit it IMO. ;)

2) DOES your WLTKD continue after you lose the luxury?

3) You cannot pillage your own luxury, but you COULD start the construction of a Fort (or lay a Citadel) on it. To restore it requires you rebuild the improvement from scratch.
But answer me this: If I have 3 of the same lux, one for me and trade the others, if I lose one does one of the trades get canceled or DO I LOSE MY HAPPINESS? If it's the trade, then which one?

Top Bottom