It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
At least in your country people seem to comprehend the idea of political parties working together (even if only for strategic reasons).

Here, people seem to think it's a bad idea. The ignorance of the Canadian voter is astounding.

Yeah, I was utterly amazed, back in the height of first Coalition and Prorogation epoch, how many people seemed to think that a Coalition was somehow illegal, and how Iggy (it was Iggy, and not Dion right?) was somehow grabbing power for himself. Perhaps they were all Tory supporters to begin with, and thus opposed to their preferred party losing power, but they seemed to lack a basic understanding of how our parliament actually works.

We have had informal coalitions from time to time. I remember when Trudeau only won a minority government one election. A lot of their bills got passed because they made a deal with the NDP for support.

But the sheer hypocrisy of Conservatives screaming that the Opposition parties had tried to mount a "coup" before Harper prorogued Parliament... :shake: It's ridiculous. They wouldn't have said a word if it had been Harper and another party that formed a coalition.

if you all just hate Canadian politics, don't vote. or be a troll and vote communist. whichever is better.

Yeah, I was utterly amazed, back in the height of first Coalition and Prorogation epoch, how many people seemed to think that a Coalition was somehow illegal, and how Iggy (it was Iggy, and not Dion right?) was somehow grabbing power for himself. Perhaps they were all Tory supporters to begin with, and thus opposed to their preferred party losing power, but they seemed to lack a basic understanding of how our parliament actually works.
It was Dion. And yes, they lack a basic understanding of how Parliament works. Even just from the perspective of ethics, I don't notice them being upset over how Harper and his Reform/Alliance buddies (Peter MacKay, I'm looking at you!) basically stole the Conservative Party by lying, since they couldn't get it any other way.

if you all just hate Canadian politics, don't vote. or be a troll and vote communist. whichever is better.

Not voting only amplifies the problem.

Real change for our government and how it conducts the nation's business takes discussion and action among the electorate.

I fail to see how keeping quiet and waiting for the politicians to act will improve things.

Not voting only amplifies the problem.

Which is why I insist on voting, even though I'm doubtful Calgary will ever elect someone besides a Conservative in my lifetime.

We have had informal coalitions from time to time. I remember when Trudeau only won a minority government one election. A lot of their bills got passed because they made a deal with the NDP for support.

But the sheer hypocrisy of Conservatives screaming that the Opposition parties had tried to mount a "coup" before Harper prorogued Parliament... :shake: It's ridiculous. They wouldn't have said a word if it had been Harper and another party that formed a coalition.

The amount of comments I read / heard that said things like, I voted for Harper... this isn't America, folks, despite what you might wish. You did not vote for Harper unless you live in Calgary.

The amount of comments I read / heard that said things like, I voted for Harper... this isn't America, folks, despite what you might wish. You did not vote for Harper unless you live in Calgary.

are you insane? people outside of calgary did indeed vote for harper.

and if calgary alone made made harper a minority government, i think we hold a little too much influence in Canada.

and if calgary alone made made harper a minority government, i think we hold a little too much influence in Canada.

It's really really sad when an American immigrant knows the political system better than those educated here.

Have faith. I hear the NDP is trying to make in-roads in the West. Can you confirm this for me?

Good luck cracking Fortress Calgary. They might make in-roads into Edmonton, but its going to take a lot to get into Calgary or the rural ridings. Winning by less than 30% or so in any Calgary riding is pretty much a bad result for Conservative candidates.

I think he referring to people who voted Conservative because of Harper, regardless of who was in their riding.

And the point is, we vote for MPs who decide who is going to be PM, and thus if two parties together can form a majority in Parliament, that is completely legitimate. Neither Harper nor any other leader, man or woman, was voted in by the country at large.

The only people outside of Calgary who could have voted for Harper are those with special ballots.

The Harper supporters in Red Deer don't get to vote for Harper. They only get to vote for a farmer named Earl Dreeshen (at least I think he's still going to be the candidate).

Good luck cracking Fortress Calgary. They might make in-roads into Edmonton, but its going to take a lot to get into Calgary or the rural ridings. Winning by less than 30% or so in any Calgary riding is pretty much a bad result for Conservative candidates.
Anne McClellan won in Edmonton a time or two, and there was one other... David Kilgour(?) I don't recall which riding he represented.

The only people outside of Calgary who could have voted for Harper are those with special ballots.

The Harper supporters in Red Deer don't get to vote for Harper. They only get to vote for a farmer named Earl Dreeshen (at least I think he's still going to be the candidate).

Anne McClellan won in Edmonton a time or two, and there was one other... David Kilgour(?) I don't recall which riding he represented.

Yeah, Edmonton does have a history of occasionally voting in Liberal or NDP candidates. Calgary on the other hand, hasn't done that since 1968.

Top Bottom