Avatar: The Last Airbender Civilizations

Boster

Chieftain
This mod adds the four civilizations from the Nick show, Avatar: The Last Airbender:

The Water Tribe

Leader: Chief Arnook
Trait: Tui and La
Units receive instant embarkation and can pass through ice.
Units:Water Warrior
Combat Bonus in water and snow, Combat Penalty in desert.
The Earth Kingdom
Leader: Earth King Kuei
Trait: Neutral Jing
:c5angry: Unhappiness from number of cities halved.
Units:Earth Warrior
+25% Defense, -1 :c5moves: Movement.
The Fire Nation
Leader: Fire Lord Ozai
Trait: Divine Right
All units receive +25% :c5strength: Combat Strength VS Cities.
Units:Fire Warrior
+1 :c5strength: Combat Strength, No Defensive Bonuses.
The Air Nomads
Leader: Monk Gyatso
Trait: Element of Freedom
All land units can pass through mountains.
Units:Air Warrior
-1 :c5strength: Combat Strength, +1 :c5moves: Movement.

This mod also includes a custom map created by member Caroco.

What to expect in future versions:
  1. More UUs, I was thinking that there would be three bender stages that would replace early melee units.
  2. UBs (not sure exactly what yet, but I am open to suggestions)
  3. Pedia entries
  4. City States (such as Sun Warriors, seedy merchants pier, etc.)
  5. Unique Technology
  6. Scenarios
  7. Audio (if modders can figure out how to work this)
Current Issues:
  1. Currently created only for vanilla, but apparently still works with G&K.
  2. The custom map doesn't let you pick your Civilization the first time you play it.
  3. Balance is always an issue.
  4. The units do not have a custom look other than icons and a unit flag. However, creating 3D assets seems far to complicated for my skills. If anyone is interested in creating assets for this mod, please let me know. I would love that more than you can imagine. :p
  5. For some reason, the unit flag for the Earth Warrior sticks out beyond the circle. This is likely because the icon itself is polygonal, unlike the others. I don't know how to fix this issue.
  6. I'm still not 100% sure how the leader AI works, so if someone could help me explain exactly how the values work, that would be great.
  7. I finally realized that the Air trait originally allowed them to pass through both mountains AND ice. I managed, however, to edit the code so they could only pass through mountains. However, I cannot figure out how to make the Water tribe only pass through ice and not mountains.

Screenshots
Water Tribe
Spoiler :

Earth Kingdom
Spoiler :

Fire Nation
Spoiler :

Air Nomads
Spoiler :

To Install
Version 6 has been released, with updated DOM screens, the second tier of UUs, changed quotes on the Civilopedia, and all of the other Civs (except G&K civs) have been completely removed.
To download, follow this link.
Once you download, place the folder in the "..\< My Games>\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS" directory. It can then be loaded under the "Mods" prompt in Civilization V.
To play the map scenario, select it under the list of maps when setting up the game.

Any help, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated. :)

I love the idea but don't you think the Earth Kingdom trait is a bit overpowered? XD

I love it thus far, but I have to agree that the Earth Kingdom trait is a little overpowered.

I thought so too looking back, but as I said in the first post, I will probably give more trait bonuses to the other nations to make it balanced, yet also more unique. I may also make the Earth Kingdom terrain a bit more deserty (for the map) and I could also just take the +50% defense and give it to the UU (Earth benders).

Yeah, that would be best. Otherwise, it makes no sense that the Fire Nation conquered the Earth Nation. Unless of course you give the defense bonus to cities and make it 25%. ;)

I was thinking for the water benders that their unique trait involves them receiving +1:c5gold: and +1:c5production: from all Fish, Pearl, and Whale resources. And set their bias to start near ocean and tundra.

Perhaps add two unique buildings for Water Benders...I was thinking something that adds food and production to ice tiles and another which provides extra food when a source of fish is nearby.

Just some ideas, good luck with this!

You should give the fire nation a better boost to their tech yield someway (whether building or trait), as this would represent how technologically advanced they are in the show compared to the other nations.
The water tribe could a medic unit who is very weak fighting but can heal 1 other unit every turn as a representation of the female water benders in the northern water tribe.
but your making it so you have final say.these are just some ideas.

You should give the fire nation a better boost to their tech yield someway (whether building or trait), as this would represent how technologically advanced they are in the show compared to the other nations.
The water tribe could a medic unit who is very weak fighting but can heal 1 other unit every turn as a representation of the female water benders in the northern water tribe.
but your making it so you have final say.these are just some ideas.

Both of these ideas are pretty nice, and I would suggest that maybe like a unique building that replaces the Barracks that grants +science yield...or a unique ability that grants some technology every time you kill a unit or capture a city, the logic being here that the Fire Nation would often attack a nation and force their inventors to invent weaponry for them. Would make them more likely to be aggressive, as well.

Now that I look at it, the air nomad's trait doesn't seem to suit them very well as you described them in their intros. Maybe they should get a cultural trait instead of the movement bonus, which seems more suited to a military civ.

With Water Tribe,you can put something like that:
The Rising Tide:Land Units can attack in water,just like in soil(they can even sink a naval unit),it receives amphibious promotion and have +1 sight in water.

hey great work!! here are some suggestions (and questions)

Airbending bonus traits:
+1 movement all unit or ignore terrain penalties, movement over mountain & defense bonus at hill/mountains
a unique building that connect trade network between their cities (kinda like the harbor function)
unique unit like archers that are more efficient defenders
free promotion against ranged attacks

Waterbending trait name: "Spiritual Chi" and bonus:
+2 sight & movement of naval units
land units free amphibious promotion and can move through snow as roads? (maybe look at the Iroquois' trait for coding?), Embarked units can defend themselves.
healing promotion
unique building that provides gold and production from coastal tiles
unique building that provides food from snow and tundra

Earthbending - i like the trait name Neutral Jing and bonus:
Unhappiness from number of cities halved.
defensive structures are more efficient +25%
+25% production towards any buildings that already exist in the Capital.
+1 gold from each Trade Route, and marble, iron, alum resources provide double quantity.
+2 culture per city

Firebending - I'm not sure why you chose "Divine Right" for the trait name of the Fire Nation, maybe because it's dictatorial monarchy as opposed to constitutional monarchy like earth kingdom?
Some suggestions for trait name:
Sacred Dragons
Dragon's Breath
Rise of the Sun
Sozin's Comet
And trait bonus:
Gains Culture for the empire from each enemy unit killed.
Effectiveness and spawn rate of Great Generals increased.
Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged.

I don't agree with the +25% combat strength against cities because that was not always the case. I don't see why fire nation would have an advantage against an air nomad city or water tribe city either. Maybe the units get +25% combat strength at Golden Ages or if a city is capture it triggers a golden age could be a nice loop cycle to motivate ongoing war.

All of these ideas are very good, and I will consider them all when working on the next version. However, I do not currently have time to address each idea individually. Hopefully I will have more time once the school year wraps up. :/

I do want to say that the name "Divine Right" comes from Azula's line in Crossroads of Destiny, which she uses to say that she has the natural right to rule. This fits with their trait, as the Fire Nation believes that they are the natural rulers of the world.

for air nomads a uu can be avatar it is basicly a upgraded spearmen but replaces warriors and when it dies it can be reborn for 100 gold

I have now released version 2, which includes a trait for the water tribe, map images, and the Earth Kingdom is a bit more balanced (they only have the unhappiness modifier).
Unfortunately, it has to go through the mod queue again, but in the meantime it can be found in the mod browser.

I have an idea for the Air Nomads. What if their trait made every tile they own function as a road tile? That way, they can connect cities without spending money and time on roads, and they can be much more mobile within their own borders. The trait would help the Air Nomads to make more money and also give them a critical advantage in defensive wars.

I have an idea for the Air Nomads. What if their trait made every tile they own function as a road tile? That way, they can connect cities without spending money and time on roads, and they can be much more mobile within their own borders. The trait would help the Air Nomads to make more money and also give them a critical advantage in defensive wars.
If I knew how to code that, I would do it. But that seems a bit too complicated for my skills.

If I knew how to code that, I would do it. But that seems a bit too complicated for my skills.

You could make roads free and instantly-buildable. :dunno:

Top Bottom