Assyria

Atwork

Immortal
I'm finding that Assyria fits my play style exactly. With the incredibly powerful siege towers, you know that you'll be able to make a tech run by conquest in the early-classical era, which is comforting in the early game, especially on the highest difficulties because AIs tend to get a tech jump early on (more happiness=faster tech'ing).

I agree that this is a civ that begs to be played on Immortal or Deity difficulty. I played an initial game on Emperor just to test them out and was rolling over my neighbors so quickly that I stopped playing after about 120 turns and will try on higher difficulty. The UA wasn't helping me much on Emperor as I was still pretty much keeping pace in tech.

Gold and happiness can become real problems though with early warmongering and really start to slow you down. I haven't quite figured out how to warmonger or even to expand early in BNW. It almost seems like you need to get one or 2 good cities up and then get some trade routes going before you can do much of anything else. But that is the subject for a different thread.

Does The Tower's buff aura stay with upgrade, or is it only good for the Classical Era?

Unless you get my roll of Assyria on its own island continent with two city-states, no other civs and no ability to get to another landmass before astronomy. At least Polynesia came to visit.

I took one read of their UA and it screamed OP. Just ignore everything but military and production the whole game, raze all the cities except for capitols and/or really valuable cities and you'll never fall behind.

Does The Tower's buff aura stay with upgrade, or is it only good for the Classical Era?

Nope, nothing carries over except cover. Learned it the hard way :(

Yeah, this is the third game I've started with them. The first two I came into problems with happiness, gold, and diplomacy. This time I had three neighbors that were somewhat close by (Siam, Maya, and America). What I did was make friends with the first two to ask (America and Siam) and slowly annoy the Maya (ask not to settle, make demands). I then set up trade routes with Siam to get a good economy and hook up luxuries in my two cities, all of this while building siege towers. By the time I attacked I was just entering Medieval and the towers were still very useful. I took out two of three Mayan cities taking multiple wonders and two techs and keeping good relations with my allies by keeping them alive. I know only have to worry about happiness of the three I mentioned earlier

I'm loving how my first game is going. Only fifty turns in, but honor + starting by five sugar is setting me off to a great start. I'll buy what I can't build ;p. if conquest doesn't pan out, I'll just make a science victory. Finally, the best of both worlds!

Yeah, Assyria is everything I hoped and feared they would be. Kind of like the Huns, only much better. Players who are used to dealing with the Gold and Diplo issues of early wars can manage them easily, and to much better benefit than any of the pre-BNW civs. The Royal Library is not bad either.

I agree that this is a civ that begs to be played on Immortal or Deity difficulty. I played an initial game on Emperor just to test them out and was rolling over my neighbors so quickly that I stopped playing after about 120 turns and will try on higher difficulty. The UA wasn't helping me much on Emperor as I was still pretty much keeping pace in tech.

Gold and happiness can become real problems though with early warmongering and really start to slow you down. I haven't quite figured out how to warmonger or even to expand early in BNW.

If you're warmongering, don't you have enough military to bully gold from city-states? That solves one problem.

Agreed on happiness - I haven't been warmongering, but did take a Dutch city during a late-game war. Even with the courthouse, I still haven't recovered to positive happiness (and this is as Indonesia with +8 free happiness from unique luxes).

My first BNW game is with Assyria on King. My war machine has been rolling over cities from the beginning and I'm ahead in tech, but I've been slowed down significantly due to diplomacy, happiness and gold problems. I can't trade because everyone hates me, nor can I set up good trade routes, even to CS's, because everyone is always declaring war on me. I'm only in the mid-game (just started using cannons) and have been at war with most civs multiple times, including currently, where every Civ left in the game (6 or 7) is simultaneously at war with me, and I'm on Pangea, having started in the middle of the map. I dipped as far low into happiness as -28 (I've killed 8 rebel units thus far, but they've been good at pillaging my luxuries). I've spent many turns in negative gold as well, since I have no trade but need my large army. Being at war with everyone has also put me into defense-mode and obviously has stopped my expansion. And although I hosted the world congress, everyone has been ganging up on me there as well .

I obviously didn't play great so far, but I can still win since I am (slightly) ahead in production and tech, and I have high XP military units. Despite being at war on three fronts, I'm surviving the onslaught and currently am just about ready to get back into offensive mode and to start capturing more cities. I'm hoping that as the other Civs expand they start warring with each other instead of focusing on me, which should buy me enough time to get a domination victory before one of them gets a cultural or diplomatic victory.

Top Bottom