Size Matters and autohunting

stachnie

Theorist
I play an early July SVN vesion, Prehistoric era, Size Matters on, Raging Barbarians. To my surprise, I started to lose my Great Hunter units when set on autohunt (maybe because I have selected the option to start with default stats) what almost never happened before. The reason may be that some animals may be really strong - the strongest unit I have seen was something like 20.25 STR Giraffe (on AI lands) which killed my GH.

In my previous games I happened to lose hunting units, but usually against Neanderthals. sending an outrigger on autohunt usually meant a suicide, but Great Hunters were relatively safe. It seems I will need to control them manually now...

S.

Yeah... some animals now spawn as larger herds. You can set the minimum odds to attack in the hunting automation options but that may be a little unreliable and just as important would be to avoid BEING attacked by such a threat.

Some game rules for splitting up larger herds when attacking may soon be developed.

Great Hunters are always at the smalest size getting them the promotion giving bonusses vs larger size units helps them a lot against large herds

Exactly - especially if the units have different HP. So back to unresolved problems with proper combat odds calculation?

S.

No... the problem is that the odds system there is looking at it the way the AI does, and that was changed a while back to consider the value of the target in addition to the odds. The decisions often do amount to an improvement for the AI but sometimes it ends up in being a detriment when it makes the attack riskier but more willing anyhow and the value of the target really doesn't quite justify it. It might take some further looking into that.

HP aren't all that get modified nor adjusted in volume changes, but HP very well may be something the odds calculator should take into better consideration than it currently does. That could well be a mathematical 'bug' so to speak that currently exists in the odds system.

We recently had a guy ask to help and it sounded like he might be able to bridge the gap between our know-hows in working with the odds system. I still have bigger, more urgent fish to fry at the moment given how buggy things are from the NPC team split still. And how little time I've had to work on things. Good to know you're still around and wanting to move in that direction though.

I have updated C2C to the most recent SVN and started a new game with my default settings (like before, but without default HP), Emperor. The beginning was very difficult - all my units easily got killed, so I had a hard time to get the first Great Hunter. After that I started to have an advantage.

@sunrisereader: thanks for the tip. I have decided to try something else: up to now I avoided giving Hunting promotions to GH's because it weakened them against non-animal units. I ceased giving Chase promotions and give Combat, Hunting, Master Hunter, Strength and Guerilla promotions (possibly with Moutaineer). Up to now (just entered Ancient era) it works O.K.

By the way: it is the first time (since a long time) I have got a serious revolt. I have conquered French and Cubans, very far from my capital. Havana is quiet but I have a lot of problems with Paris. I have got 30+ military slaves (I transport them to my capital), rushed some GW (H...something Maui or so) and a building but Paris does not stop to revolt so the buildings are not completed. I WANT this GW in Paris because it seems to be a good choice for the main military city (2 settled GG, big production potential). Is there any way to quiet it at least temporarily? I have a strong army nearby but it is not strong enough yet to kill all rebels. 2 Enforcers in the city and some garrison is not enough...

S.

Stachnie: if you have Revolutions on, you can click the band that shows unrest progression, and you get the option to bribe people with money to be quiet. But that is only temporary as long as the causes of the unrest stay active. Also if the city is in revolt you can use storytellers or equivalent units to reduce the number of turns the city is in revolt.

It turned out a temporary solution was to kill all emerging French troops. The problem is that it quiets Paris for a while and they are revolting again. It gives me more and more slaves so I may rush everything in Paris and my capital, but if Paris has to be my main military city, at some time I will like it to be quiet.

@Noriad2: thanks for the tip with storytellers. Maybe I will try that.

Edit: producing 3 storytellers helped only a bit, but one bribe solved the problem. Now Paris is stable.

Top Bottom