Does anyone want to help rig this leader? Alaric, of the Visigoths

I'm very slowly working on the background, I decided to do something in rendered 3d myself and it takes time (especially since I don't have many opportunities to work on it).

That sounds great! It'll be awesome to finally have another 3D leader in the game.

I finally finished the background. It was made from scratch but I did use some free models I found on the net. Now I need to know if the camera angle is matching the Attila one. Also I used some dramatic lighting so it might be a bit of a challenge to get it right, in that case I can still change the lighting around.

Spoiler :
In case you're confused by where he is, I decided to make him sit somewhere on Rome, like he's just finished conquering a Roman city. I didn't really worry too much about realism here.

(And yes I know there are some things to fix)

Looks great! Keen to see what it looks like in game with the Alaric model in there.

I finally finished the background. It was made from scratch but I did use some free models I found on the net. Now I need to know if the camera angle is matching the Attila one. Also I used some dramatic lighting so it might be a bit of a challenge to get it right, in that case I can still change the lighting around.

Spoiler :
In case you're confused by where he is, I decided to make him sit somewhere on Rome, like he's just finished conquering a Roman city. I didn't really worry too much about realism here.

(And yes I know there are some things to fix)

That is a really awesome background!

That is a really awesome background!
Thanks, despite the use of free models it took a long time to make. I'm not really a pro in that area, I sort of had to learn along the way.

Looks great! Keen to see what it looks like in game with the Alaric model in there.
I'll wait on you - I really don't know how to do the technical modding stuff.

So this is a 3D model rather than a 2D background? So it will need to be made into a .gr2 file to work in game?

So this is a 3D model rather than a 2D background? So it will need to be made into a .gr2 file to work in game?
It's a pre-rendered 2d background.

I can separate the layers if you want, matte style, if you want things to not look too 2d. But then I think a custom model would have to be made to accomodate that. (I think the closest arm of the chair is supposed to be on a separate layer anyway).

It's a pre-rendered 2d background.

I can separate the layers if you want, matte style, if you want things to not look too 2d. But then I think a custom model would have to be made to accomodate that. (I think the closest arm of the chair is supposed to be on a separate layer anyway).

I think it will at least need a 3D chair as when he is sat back in the chair the arm of the chair appears in front. Perhaps a good place to start would be to have a version without the chair and see if the background can be lined up with the Attila chair in a way that looks reasonably realistic.

Edit: The simplest way that avoids any further 3D modelling of the background is to adapt you layers into the format of the existing background image files Alaric_Background_DIFF.dds and Alaric_Background_OPAC.dds from the previous linked version of Alaric http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=24626 . Smaller JPG versions of these files shown below for reference. The OPAC layer controls the alpha so that the armrest of the chair appears in front of the leader model.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Alaric_Background_OPAC.jpg
    Alaric_Background_OPAC.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 508
  • Alaric_Background_DIFF.jpg
    Alaric_Background_DIFF.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 564
I've fitted your background and it doesn't look too bad. I think the best bet would be just to remove the throne from the background image and reskin the existing throne and dais. If you have a 3D throne model I can potentially line it up with the current one but that is harder and more work.

Attachments

• alaric_in_rome.jpg
    alaric_in_rome.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 603
We don't have to scrap the throne, it's just a matter of setting the correct angle.

Let's try this angle:

Spoiler :

We don't need to worry right now about separating the elements, right now we just need to set the angle right.

Top Bottom